Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 10:24 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,326 times

Advertisements

I've seen opinions expressed here before, but I'm hoping we can compile them in one place.
Best schools, overall (not considering special needs, for example), for boys, girls, and co-ed.

Be free with your educated opinions. Does a school have excellent academics? Mediocre academics but great sports teams? Is it is a party school for spoiled rich kids?

If you can, list your choices as A-list, B-list, and C-list (i.e, ranked)

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 02:56 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
I've seen opinions expressed here before, but I'm hoping we can compile them in one place.
Best schools, overall (not considering special needs, for example), for boys, girls, and co-ed.

Be free with your educated opinions. Does a school have excellent academics? Mediocre academics but great sports teams? Is it is a party school for spoiled rich kids?

If you can, list your choices as A-list, B-list, and C-list (i.e, ranked)

Thanks for your input!
I don't know which one is the best, but I work at a law firm and two of the partners on my floor send their kids to Episcopal. Then you have St. Johns which is so exclusive even George W Bush couldn't get in.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:03 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Episcopal is highly rated. St. Thomas for boy is good and is Duschesne for girls (not sure that is spelled correct).

Old 02-07-2012, 07:11 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post

!
I think you lost 90% of your "educated response" category with that comment.....

Old 02-08-2012, 10:47 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,326 times
No worries. I have no immediate needs for a school, I was just curious what opinions were out there, thought it might be useful for others as well.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:01 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times
Episcopal is the most expensive but last on list in terms of rigourous curriculum.

St Johns, Kinkaid,Strake Jesuit and St Agnes/Duchessne
Then St Thomas and HCHS
Then St Pious And Episcopal
Imo

Old 05-02-2012, 02:05 PM

2 posts, read 26,450 times
What about St. Pius X? Is it a rigorous school? I have one son who would want a challenging enviro and another who doesn't apply himself academically at the level he should yet we are moving to Houston and need one high school.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:26 PM

194 posts, read 524,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julene007 View Post
What about St. Pius X? Is it a rigorous school? I have one son who would want a challenging enviro and another who doesn't apply himself academically at the level he should yet we are moving to Houston and need one high school.
St. Pius isn't exactly known for its academics. It's mostly known for its athletic prowess.

If you're looking for a Catholic school with better academics, I would suggest either Strake Jesuit or St. Thomas High School for boys, or St. Agnes or Duchesne for girls.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 23,398 times
Awty International School is an excellent school. Will actually expose your children to cultural diversity. Many ivy league and top 25 college acceptances. Most students graduate bilingual or multilingual. Excellent community service program.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:12 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
Episcopal is the most expensive but last on list in terms of rigourous curriculum.

St Johns, Kinkaid,Strake Jesuit and St Agnes/Duchessne
Then St Thomas and HCHS
Then St Pious And Episcopal
Imo
Hmmmm, EHS is far more rigorous than STHS and HCHS.HCHS seriously?..no. Strake is just a UT grindhouse imho..if thats all you strive for...its all good. Its far from a rigorous education
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: