Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 06:00 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,757,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1038 View Post
Houston is the fastest growing metropolitan area in the country and attracts transplants from all over the globe. For some people, it is an easy transition and an overall positive experience. For others, Houston is a very tough adjustment - and by focusing on the negative aspects it is easy to develop an unfavorable opinion of the area. Although there may not be an active thread right now, I see a lot of the same thing in the Dallas and Austin forums as well - these are also very popular relocation destinations and consequently there are lots of people moving to these places who end up regretting it.

Based on your criteria, it is hard to make a recommendation between Dallas and Houston. I personally think Dallas's suburbs are some of the best in the country, though Houston has some great burbs too. I think Houston is better for city living, but both have plenty of cool bars/restaurants while neither city is pedestrian friendly. You like colder weather, but also like having the ocean nearby. Seems like either one would suit you based on your post.
Agree 100% spot on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 06:28 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,345 times
The thing about Houston too is that you have to give it time. A few visits does not really give you the Houston experience. Houston, much like a fungus, grows on you as the time goes on. In houston, you have to kind of find your niche. Looking at your job and the places you have mentioned living, you should like Houston. Houston is a town that does cater to the affluent. As far as the music scene goes, country, hip hop, Mexican styles, and top 40 rule here. However, Austin is only 3 hours away if you are into world music or more obscure bands like I am. The only real advantage Dallas has over Houston is in pro sports (they have NASCAR and Hockey). However, they also have The Crygirls which kind of even things out.........

Old 04-05-2012, 07:28 AM

998 posts, read 1,324,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCROYALS View Post
My wife's position is being transfered to Texas. The are two locations, Dallas or Houston and they are letting her choose. My profession is in law and I will be fine in either place. We recently visited both cities and I did not see a huge difference in the two. Houston was larger, but Dallas had more options in terms of suburbs as the area seemed larger. I do like Houston is near the gulf for sea fishing, but it didnt look to inviting to take a swim. Gulf looked rather dirty, but so is my Long Island Sound.

We are more cooler weather people, so I like that Dallas appears to have more of a winter than Houston. We are also like cool bars and coffee shops and pedestrian friendly cities. I am a huge football fan, so I need a good sports city. A good music scene is a must as well. We are looking to live in the city first and then move to a nice quiet suburb. I want a big yard. How are the two in terms of crime? Are there lots of bad areas in Houston?

Based on the desires I listed above can any of you help give some
authentic advice as to what city will be more to our liking?

I am not looking to start a Houston vs Dallas war, just trying to get some facts for each city to help with out decision.

I have also noticed a decent amount of posts on here about Houston are really negative. A much higher rate than other cities. Why is that?

P.S. Not to be a troll or repetitive, but I am going to post this in the Dallas forum as well to get some Dallas advice.

Thank you
Dallas has better suburbs and when it comes to sports, Dallas wins in a landslide.

Neither city is pedestrian friendly but Dallas has better public transit.

In terms of weather, I prefer Houston. Dallas is cooler in the winter but hotter in the summer. Last summer Dallas spent over a month above 100 degrees. Although Houston is more humid, I prefer 90s over Dallas' summer temperatures.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:42 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCROYALS View Post
Thank you everyone for their replies. I have been doing some research on Houston and looking at property in areas we liked. The apartment review sites are great because some places we wrote down looked nice from the street, but received horrible reviews.

There are definitely some positives about Houston. We liked the Buffalo Speedway/Upper Kirby area and we liked most of the inner loop. Museum District was really nice. Also, the food there is really good. My uncle who is from Connecticut lived in Houston for his job in the 1990's and he said the best food he ever had was in Houston. I was told to avoid any apartments in southeast and northeast of the city as that is gangland. Basically, anything between 8 and 610 could be hit or miss. An officer I spoke to at the airport told me that although the Galleria area may look attractive, that area has a ton of burglaries so she advised to stay clear.

I am going to be honest and admit that Texas was not at the top of my choices to live. I am East Coast all the way and being the yankee I am, I sweat at 65 degrees. After June, I count down the days until September and that is up in Connecticut!!! Living in the Texas heat has me nervous.
This is true.

Southwest Houston is the worst though.

Crime is everywhere, even in suburban Sugar Land.

I think one positive aspect is Dallas' suburbs seems to have crime more under control than Houston's.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:33 AM

285 posts, read 567,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
This is true.

Southwest Houston is the worst though.

Crime is everywhere, even in suburban Sugar Land.

I think one positive aspect is Dallas' suburbs seems to have crime more under control than Houston's.
Sugar Land has the lowest crime rate of any city over 70,000 in Texas - lower than any of the major north Dallas suburbs (Allen, Frisco, McKinney, etc.). Even Missouri City and Pearland have lower crime rates than Plano or McKinney. http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2010/City_crime_rate_2010-2011_lowtohigh.pdf

Crime is indeed everywhere but both cities have some very nice and safe suburbs to choose from. I personally just think Dallas's are a bit better mostly for aesthetic reasons but also since nearly all the nice burbs are concentrated to the north, creating a more cohesive area of affluence between the city and suburbs. In Houston, more of the nice suburbs are "disconnected" from the city somewhat which may be good or bad depending on your perspective.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:30 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
Dallas has better suburbs and when it comes to sports, Dallas wins in a landslide.
could you explain to a new comer who is going to enjoy sports in the FUTURE how Dallas wins in a landslide in sports?

The OP is a big Football fans and I don't have a crystal ball, so I dunno how both cities having football teams, how you would make the decision that one would win in a landslide.

If you know some thing I don't please tell me. Or are you suggesting that the OP is going to enjoy the past??

OP both cities have football teams, so neither wins in that category. If you had moved a year ago it would not be the Dallas team that was taking you the playoffs.

If the Op was asking which city was better for Hockey in the NHL then you can say Dallas wins because Houston has AHL Hockey not NHL.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:35 PM

9 posts, read 22,433 times
As a Realtor, it seems more and more companies are sending their employees to Texas. Houston pretty much will go a few years with a non-existent winter and then BAM we reach 20-something degrees in January or February. Houston has several suburbs like Katy, Sugarland, Pearland, The Woodlands, Spring, Humble, and a few others. The loop/Mid-town/Uptown is a nice area if you're looking for an urban feel.
I hope you choose Houston, but if not, we understand.
Welcome to Texas!

Old 04-05-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
could you explain to a new comer who is going to enjoy sports in the FUTURE how Dallas wins in a landslide in sports?

The OP is a big Football fans and I don't have a crystal ball, so I dunno how both cities having football teams, how you would make the decision that one would win in a landslide.

If you know some thing I don't please tell me. Or are you suggesting that the OP is going to enjoy the past??

OP both cities have football teams, so neither wins in that category. If you had moved a year ago it would not be the Dallas team that was taking you the playoffs.

If the Op was asking which city was better for Hockey in the NHL then you can say Dallas wins because Houston has AHL Hockey not NHL.
Dallas is the better sports city period. The attendance at Rockets and Astros games are a dead giveaway.

In addition to the Cowboys (love them or hate them, they are perhaps the most famous team in America. And they just happen to play in the best NFL stadium. Jerry's World > Reliant Stadium.

Contrast that with the start up Texans who just made their first playoff appearance. No games on the Texans' annual schedule can compare to Cowboys vs. the Redskins/Eagles/Giants. These games are huge and they attract a national audience. They rarely even show Texans games up here in the Metroplex but I'm sure Houston gets a fair share of Cowboys games.

I'm a Rockets fan, but they haven't been relevant for almost two decades now. The Mavericks meanwhile are the defending NBA champs.

The Rangers are coming off back to back World Series appearances. What was the Astros record last season?

Throw in the fact that you have more opportunities to witness nationally known college football on all levels in the metroplex (Texas/OU, CottonBowl, Grambling/PV,TCU,etc) and its already a landslide before you even throw in the NHL. Sorry, the Meineke Care Care bowl does not compare to the Cottonbowl.

Best Sports Cities: The list from 1 to 271

Read more: Best Sports Cities: The list from 1 to 271 - - Sporting News

Quote:
It's more than just championships.
Sporting News’ Best Sports Cities rankings, which look at the 12 months from summer 2010 to summer 2011, are based on point values assigned to various categories, including but not limited to, won-lost records, postseason appearances, applicable power ratings, number of teams and attendance.
The list:

1. Dallas-Fort Worth

24. Houston

Old 04-05-2012, 11:13 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
Dallas is the better sports city period. The attendance at Rockets and Astros games are a dead giveaway.

In addition to the Cowboys (love them or hate them, they are perhaps the most famous team in America. And they just happen to play in the best NFL stadium. Jerry's World > Reliant Stadium.

Contrast that with the start up Texans who just made their first playoff appearance. No games on the Texans' annual schedule can compare to Cowboys vs. the Redskins/Eagles/Giants. These games are huge and they attract a national audience. They rarely even show Texans games up here in the Metroplex but I'm sure Houston gets a fair share of Cowboys games.

I'm a Rockets fan, but they haven't been relevant for almost two decades now. The Mavericks meanwhile are the defending NBA champs.

The Rangers are coming off back to back World Series appearances. What was the Astros record last season?

Throw in the fact that you have more opportunities to witness nationally known college football on all levels in the metroplex (Texas/OU, CottonBowl, Grambling/PV,TCU,etc) and its already a landslide before you even throw in the NHL. Sorry, the Meineke Care Care bowl does not compare to the Cottonbowl.

Best Sports Cities: The list from 1 to 271

Read more: Best Sports Cities: The list from 1 to 271 - - Sporting News
thats a load of crock.

The OP said he was a football lover

and he can have at it in either city.

Just because a team is famous doesn't mean he would like them more.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
thats a load of crock.

The OP said he was a football lover

and he can have at it in either city.

Just because a team is famous doesn't mean he would like them more.
I know you love Houston, but Houston isnt gonna win at EVERYTHING. As a football fan, when you factor in the opportunities to not only watch higher profile pro games; DFW has far more D1 College Football games. The Metroplex even wins when it comes to better high school football.

Sure Houston has pro,college, and high school football but very few people outside of the Houston area would say that watching a regional team like the Texans is better than watching Cowboys v Skins. Or that watching UH vs Rice is better than watching Texas/OU. Come on now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City