Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 11:06 AM

433 posts, read 701,628 times

Advertisements

So Cali area has 5. Dallas area has 4. Austin area has 1. Houston not even on the list.

Just sayin'...

Best Places to Live 2012 - Maps: Texas – Money Magazine

Old 08-23-2012, 01:35 PM

391 posts, read 923,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach84 View Post
So Cali area has 5. Dallas area has 4. Austin area has 1. Houston not even on the list.

Just sayin'...

Best Places to Live 2012 - Maps: Texas – Money Magazine
Really?...

#1. Carmel, IN
#2. McKinney, TX
#3. Eden Praire, MN
#4. Newton, MA
#5. Redmond, WA
#6. Irvine, CA
#7. Reston, VA
#8. Columbia, MD
#9. Overland Park, KS
#10. Chappel Hill, NC

What do all of these cities have in common?... wait, not cities, towns because these places are small! These are suburban towns, no where does it mention cities of any significant size. So let me go ahead and well just disprove you and let you know why Houston is better than Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin...

hmmm well if I want low cost of living AND a good job IN a big city... Houston is the only choice! Dallas?... come on dude! Houston added 10 TIMES more jobs in a year than Dallas added population the entire past decade!!! Yeah, nice try...

Houston adds 89,600 private-sector jobs in past 12 months - Houston Business Journal

Houston is the economic powerhouse of Texas and that cannot be disputed! Houston is responsible for almost 32% of the entire Texas economy (1.207T GSP)... so where does that leave Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin and San Antonio... well much lower than Houston!

Gross Metropolitan Product

Houston = 384.6B (31.8%) Dallas AND Fort Worth combined = 374.1B (30.9%)

Being that the Dallas AND Fort Worth is LARGER in population, but Houston's economy still outperforms that entire area, yeah Houston is the CLEAR economic leader in Texas!

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to prove once again that Houston is better than Dallas

Old 08-23-2012, 01:39 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,559 times
So Mikey, you are saying you like Houston?

Old 11-21-2012, 11:39 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,890 times
Bigger doesn't mean better.... hence Houston, oh and yall have bigger more aggressive mosquitoes too. I didn't see that in your list don't forget to add that. And for real the downtown is easier to get to?? Pul-eeze!! Houston is just a big congested city, and I have heard, (from Houston people as well) that Houston is not a big whoop, it's just a bigger Dallas but with half the things to do *shrugging shoulders* This is what I have heard from Houstonians.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:56 AM

Default Very true

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
#1.None of this is a lie...Even Houstonians say being dirtier and trashier gives Houston Character.

#2. List the facts...I really wanna see em.
Most on his list were in fact opinions and not facts. And of course he was glorifying gorging of the land, We have the biggest this, we have the biggest that, we have the biggest this.... yea a lot of positive and negative and like I said, bigger does not always mean better. Go ahead and let everyone live in the armpits of Texas (I have heard many Houstonians speak of Houston in such "endearment" I want to keep my Fort Worth nice, small, and pretty)

Old 11-21-2012, 12:01 PM

288. Less vain

LMBBO!! Really??

Old 11-21-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyAusmus View Post
I will say this... I never really had a beef with Dallas UNTIL hurricane Ike happened. In all honesty I never really spent much time in Dallas until Ike. However, Dallas people treated Houstonians incredibly bad (with the exception of my college friends who took in a temporarily homeless Houstonian for 3 1/2 weeks)!!

I never realized that there was such a deep Houston-Dallas rivalry until I came back home and complained to people about the rudeness in Dallas I experienced. Man, you tell someone from Dallas that you live in Houston and just expect ultra stuck up attitude from them! Well, I let it slide and just put their Dalitude aside. Now, fast forward to New Years Eve of this past year.

I went to Dallas for New Years to visit some friends. Well, each place we would go out to people would come up and talk to me and just as they ask the question "so what part of Dallas are you from?" and I answer "oh, I am from Houston"... the response is... they just walk away. Seriously??? This didn't happen just one or four times, this happened ALOT!!!!

Houstonians may not be fans of Dallas (you are looking at the KING of not fans of Dallas) but they would never be so rude as to just walk away from someone because they are from a rival city. Even I would never walk away from a Dallasite visiting the great city of Houston, Texas!

So fast forward to the beginning of this thread... I started this list with only about 60-something items of things I think Houston out does Dallas on and well it has trickled up to 686 items. The reason I started this is because I got the notion that people in Dallas must think they are hot "you-know-what" and are far and above talking or associating with Houston.

So this list here is to show people from Dallas how much better Houston really is and to paint them a picture of what Houston is all about! I cordially invite anyone from Dallas to visit Houston and I would NEVER mistreat someone in the wonderful city of Houston or never would misrepresent the city of Houston in front of someone. I would show them the utmost Houston hospitality and make sure they enjoy themselves in my city. So you can kind of say this list is a retaliation of how Dallas people have treated Houstonians. Dallas is a good city, but yalls people sure think it is the best thing that has ever happened to the face of the planet. It is my job to take down that mirror Dallasites stare into and show them the best city in Texas is in fact Houston!

Say what you will... this is the Houston room and I am more than entitled to love on my Houston as much as I want to in the Houston room! I LOVE HOUSTON!!!
I'm not from Dallas, but I am closer their than you (you being in Houston and all). Well... scratch that, I was born in Dallas but grew in Fort Worth. I'm sorry that you received such disdain from another human. That type of rudeness was uncalled for and should be unacceptable in any type of state or city; a southern one at that. I hope one day you will find it in your heart to forgive the ones who treated you in such contempt.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:41 AM

352 posts, read 778,395 times
What is the largest chocolate shop in Texas?

Old 12-03-2012, 10:11 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,258 times
Default Houston is no longer the best kept secret in America....

It's probably the fastest growing best investment for anyone's buck if they want big city life at a relatively low cost. I live in LA and I can tell you that for the wages we're earning here, we could be living it up back in my hometown of Houston.

I love Houston but it's really just a city for people that want to settle down. I mean there is literally nothing to do except for working, drinking, and keeping up with the Joneses. If you live smack in the middle of inner loop city, then you may experience the typical NY/LA life but to a much smaller degree.

Houston is a big city shedding away it's Southern roots and that can be a good thing and a bad thing. For one, the city will get more competitive for jobs so having a degree from UT-Austin or A&M won't cut it anymore, more experience with top firms will be recommended, people may get snarkier. I mean the city is already kind of like that in the inner loop.

There is also a new attitude in Houston. My friends are telling me it's thinking it's really high class now with it's clubs, bars and restaurants. As though it's trying to be like LA. But the one thing I noticed in LA, is that it's not exclusive. You don't have any of that, "can't let you in the club with those shoes", "where are your reservations", "wait in line for an hour", look at me, tough guy scene on Washington Ave. or the douchey bars in Midtown. I love going to those clubs and bars because they are the best, but the crowds get a little under my skin sometimes. The crazy part is that this attitude in Houston is rarely seen in Los Angeles, even in West Hollywood which is the epicenter of the posh glam lifestyle.

So yeah Houston is turning into a douchey turbocharged competitive scenester town, but it's great if you just want a comfortable low cost living in a major city. You'll basically just work, eat and drink yourself silly.

To the Houston fanboys in here, yes, your city (my hometown) is a heavenly place to escape the recession and I am glad that Houston remains an affordable major city so people can still have a shot in life, but it still has A LOT of catching up to do as far providing more than just eating, drinking and shopping/keeping up with the Joneses.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:49 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
It's probably the fastest growing best investment for anyone's buck if they want big city life at a relatively low cost. I live in LA and I can tell you that for the wages we're earning here, we could be living it up back in my hometown of Houston.

I love Houston but it's really just a city for people that want to settle down. I mean there is literally nothing to do except for working, drinking, and keeping up with the Joneses. If you live smack in the middle of inner loop city, then you may experience the typical NY/LA life but to a much smaller degree.

Houston is a big city shedding away it's Southern roots and that can be a good thing and a bad thing. For one, the city will get more competitive for jobs so having a degree from UT-Austin or A&M won't cut it anymore, more experience with top firms will be recommended, people may get snarkier. I mean the city is already kind of like that in the inner loop.

There is also a new attitude in Houston. My friends are telling me it's thinking it's really high class now with it's clubs, bars and restaurants. As though it's trying to be like LA. But the one thing I noticed in LA, is that it's not exclusive. You don't have any of that, "can't let you in the club with those shoes", "where are your reservations", "wait in line for an hour", look at me, tough guy scene on Washington Ave. or the douchey bars in Midtown. I love going to those clubs and bars because they are the best, but the crowds get a little under my skin sometimes. The crazy part is that this attitude in Houston is rarely seen in Los Angeles, even in West Hollywood which is the epicenter of the posh glam lifestyle.

So yeah Houston is turning into a douchey turbocharged competitive scenester town, but it's great if you just want a comfortable low cost living in a major city. You'll basically just work, eat and drink yourself silly.

To the Houston fanboys in here, yes, your city (my hometown) is a heavenly place to escape the recession and I am glad that Houston remains an affordable major city so people can still have a shot in life, but it still has A LOT of catching up to do as far providing more than just eating, drinking and shopping/keeping up with the Joneses.
I don't know what part of LA you party in but I ALWAYS got attitude getting into clubs on Sunset Blvd. Long lines, huge attitudes, fights breaking out in the streets that were spill over from inside the club. Heck, just go to TMZ and watch the videos of celebs brawling outside in the street. LA has MAJOR attitude. Everyone is so insecure out there because of the entertainment industry. I think San Diego is much more laid back. I'm sure there are parts of LA that are more cool but not on the strip man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston