Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 11:03 PM

114 posts, read 253,200 times

Advertisements

I was talking to my wife the other day about what we would add to Houston if we could add just one thing. The only rule was that the "thing" had to be technically possible. An example would be that wishing for Discovery Green before it was built would have been possible (ie, the land was available, it wouldn't cost too much to build or maintain, etc.), whereas just wishing that we had a giant, 850 acre park smack-dab in the middle of our city like NY is not possible.

I like Houston a lot, but the one thing I truly hate with all my passionate guts are our brutal summers. I think having some kind of recreational place where you could go to swim and cool off in the summer that was close to downtown would make those miserably hot days a lot easier to deal with. It may just be me, but I think it would be awesome if there were some kind of big community pool (like the ones in Austin or in Astoria, Queens) or a waterpark that didn't suck (think New Braunfels-Schlitterbahn) in or near downtown. Galveston is all well and good, but it's a 2-to-2.5 hour roundtrip commitment, and for 3+ months in the summer the water is more "bathwater" than "refreshing".

As far as placement...it could go in that large open area near midtown (I know they have a regular park planned which is super-awesome), the old Astroworld location, etc. Up until a year or so ago they could have built a big pool (perhaps with a park around it) where the new HEB is, which I think would have been really neat. Or, you know, it could always go inside the Astrodome. Hahahahaha, just kidding.

Agree? If not, what would your one thing be that would greatly improve Houston if it existed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 11:13 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,576,646 times
Memorial Park 1,466 acres

Memorial Park, Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-10-2012, 11:15 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,859,948 times
The one thing that would make Houston great is an extensive rail system.

As for what was suggested in the original post I feel we have plenty of places to cool off on a hot day like Lake Conroe, Lake Houston, and Galveston Bay. All those are pretty close to the city. There's also Splashtown not too far in Spring. Driving to Galveston is also not that bad of a drive. Driving an hour and a half to get to a beach is pretty darn good.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:22 PM

I meant close to downtown. Like close. As in something you could bike to/walk to/take a quick 15-minute public transportation ride to if you lived in or right near downtown. Something you could take a quick jaunt to and cool off without having to make a day trip out of it. That's why I compared it to Austin (Barton Springs) or the Astoria Park pool. And Splashtown is AWFUL.

As for the park-comparisons, I was merely outlining the rules, saying you couldn't wish for an 850-acre park in the middle of downtown, as in, there are buildings already there and it wouldn't fit. But yes, our park is bigger, thanks for pointing that out :P

Old 06-10-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Totally agree with this, though. I only didn't say it because I'm (overly?) optimistic that it's already in the works and will happen someday. Fingers crossed.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:30 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,603 times
More dense residential/retail/mixed use development in Downtown, Midtown, EaDo, Museum District, and Montrose.

A decent sized rail system like the Chicago "L", Bay Area's BART, or DC's Metro to connect the inner loop employment districts with outlying suburbs such as Sugar Land, Katy, etc.

A decent sized theme park comparable to Six Flags or Cedar Point.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:37 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
The same for me. If I only get to pick one thing to change, I would certainly wish for a sufficient heavy rail system in place. Of course there are many other things that I wish were different, but they wouldn't mean much without being accompanied by some other change.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:39 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
More dense residential/retail/mixed use development in Downtown, Midtown, EaDo, Museum District, and Montrose.

A decent sized rail system like the Chicago "L", Bay Area's BART, or DC's Metro to connect the inner loop employment districts with outlying suburbs such as Sugar Land, Katy, etc.

A decent sized theme park comparable to Six Flags or Cedar Point.
Cedar Point or Busch Gardens. Six Flags is going through too much. LOL

Old 06-10-2012, 11:42 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Plenty of pools in the city. What Houston needs more then anything is a tourist trap. Something in the city that will make thousands of tourist flock that caters to adults and kids. That can rival a fishermans wharf or a Times Square or Smithsonian, something of that magnitude. Something that natives will avoid(like they do w/ most tourist traps) but will make ppl visiting preciate and discover what a great city Houston is,instead of going too tired NASA or skipping to Galveston. Houston biggest tourist destination is The Galleria. Houston really needs this. Think big. You know how many new jobs this will create?

Old 06-10-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Plenty of pools in the city. What Houston needs more then anything is a tourist trap. Something in the city that will make thousands of tourist flock that caters to adults and kids. That can rival a fishermans wharf or a Times Square or Smithsonian, something of that magnitude. Something that natives will avoid(like they do w/ most tourist traps) but will make ppl visiting preciate and discover what a great city Houston is,instead of going too tired NASA or skipping to Galveston. Houston biggest tourist destination is The Galleria. Houston really needs this. Think big. You know how many new jobs this will create?
I like this! The old Astroworld land could be used for whatever it is, too. Any ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston