Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 10:14 PM

14 posts, read 36,196 times

Advertisements

I know about league city, that area on league city parkway (apts) was really quiet and nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 05:43 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,218,384 times
All high schools have drug problems, it's not just Brook. How about you mention how Lake's senior class cheated on their exams and caused a honor code to be established. Or how Springs teacher was arrested for selling drugs, or how Creeks teacher died due to fear over a rumored relationship with a student? Nope all you hear about is how Bad Brook is. The brawl was two years ago and due to a senior prank gone wrong. We looked at other areas when decided to buy our house and we ended up buying back here in Heritage Park. The people are friendlier and we wanted our children to experience diversity. Diversity is something you won't find in Friendswood proper.

Last edited by movingtohouston; 08-28-2012 at 06:05 AM..

Old 08-28-2012, 10:11 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,274,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
All high schools have drug problems, it's not just Brook. How about you mention how Lake's senior class cheated on their exams and caused a honor code to be established. Or how Springs teacher was arrested for selling drugs, or how Creeks teacher died due to fear over a rumored relationship with a student? Nope all you hear about is how Bad Brook is. The brawl was two years ago and due to a senior prank gone wrong. We looked at other areas when decided to buy our house and we ended up buying back here in Heritage Park. The people are friendlier and we wanted our children to experience diversity. Diversity is something you won't find in Friendswood proper.
I dont think anyone was insulting Clearbrook...It just happens to be ranked the lowest of the schools being talked about.

The race card is overplayed. Nobody said "dont goto brook its got minorities"...you inferred that. What was said was simple. Friendswood has the highest test scores over all the schools being considered....it is exemplary... Lake/Creek are better than Brook. Brook ranks 4th.

That can not be disputed. Facts are facts. How you want to raise your kids and where you want to live is your business - nobody elses - an out of town poster inquired about schools in the area and an unbiased, racially neutral answer was given.

There is no need to be defensive. If you like Brook - Great. Its the 4th best school being discussed.....I grew up playing soccer in Friendswood - 1/2 my team was from FISD, the other 1/2 Brook...There is no difference at all in who is friendlier. Friendly is individualized. You are just trying to justify your decision to choose an inferior school. Its not necessary. Nobody judged you for doing so.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:48 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,218,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
I dont think anyone was insulting Clearbrook...It just happens to be ranked the lowest of the schools being talked about.

The race card is overplayed. Nobody said "dont goto brook its got minorities"...you inferred that. What was said was simple. Friendswood has the highest test scores over all the schools being considered....it is exemplary... Lake/Creek are better than Brook. Brook ranks 4th.

That can not be disputed. Facts are facts. How you want to raise your kids and where you want to live is your business - nobody elses - an out of town poster inquired about schools in the area and an unbiased, racially neutral answer was given.

There is no need to be defensive. If you like Brook - Great. Its the 4th best school being discussed.....I grew up playing soccer in Friendswood - 1/2 my team was from FISD, the other 1/2 Brook...There is no difference at all in who is friendlier. Friendly is individualized. You are just trying to justify your decision to choose an inferior school. Its not necessary. Nobody judged you for doing so.
I beg to disagree, I am not trying to be defensive just giving my opinion as aparent who has two students who attend this school. Brook isn't the fourth worst, according to the accountability report for last year Brook and Lake were both counted as recognized and creek was acceptable. The only school that recieved exemplary was clear horizons. Clear Creek Independent School District: District: TEA Ratings
No disputing the Friendswood ISD is the better district. I also was not the one who first brought up the race issue. I stated why I liked my neighborhood and why I liked my schools.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:34 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,735,529 times
I didn't speak or infer anything about (what we already know about) FISD.

However, I was the one who mentioned the race issue, because it's absolutely true. I've been intimately familiar with this area for the past 10 years. Many people love Brook because of the evenly-spread diversity, or they absolutely hate it for that quality but speak about it the southern way-- in code words. However, Brook has always been rated higher than Creek... and for just as long people have been denying it (including on this forum).

Old 08-28-2012, 12:18 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,274,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I didn't speak or infer anything about (what we already know about) FISD.

However, I was the one who mentioned the race issue, because it's absolutely true. I've been intimately familiar with this area for the past 10 years. Many people love Brook because of the evenly-spread diversity, or they absolutely hate it for that quality but speak about it the southern way-- in code words. However, Brook has always been rated higher than Creek... and for just as long people have been denying it (including on this forum).
I am intimately familiar with both areas and have not found Friendswood to be even the least bit racist....I grew up in Friendswood, spent 18.5 years there....I don't live there now, (I live in town) but everyone in my family does....my parents, brothers, cousins, uncles, etc....Ive got 20 years more knowledge of the area than you do and I can state with absolute certainty that there is nothing racist about Friendswood or FISD....some people seem to think Fwood is a snobby town, and its absurd. Housing there varies from less than $100,000 up to $2MM....its an economically diverse town.

Playing competitive sports meant there were no imaginary boundary lines for schools, and nobody cared about what color you were...if you were good you made the team, if you were not good you did not make it. Friendswood is undoubtedly white...it was 90+% white when I was there - but simply being comprised of white people does not make it racist.

You infer people in Friendswood are racist because most people in Friendswood are white....your argument is flawed. People can see racism anywhere they want. You see racism in Friendswood because its not diverse...perhaps the problem is with you...you seem to be entirely too sensitive.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:05 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,735,529 times
The Creek vs Brook argument has nothing to do with FISD. ''What we already know about FISD'' is that it is better than CCISD. That's all. Don't read into anything I didn't write. The reason most people say Creek is better than Brook, even though nearly all measurable indicators have said otherwise, is usually racially motivated. That in no way implies Friendswood is a racist town. It's a nice town and I never got that feeling being there. Insular to the point of being icky on the other hand-- absolutely.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:09 AM

13 posts, read 16,301 times
Default What are the town centers like for Friendswood, Pearland, Clear Lake area...

We have narrowed down our search, thanks in part to this website. Thanks for that, by the way! Hubby will be working out of Hobby. We are flying into Houston next month to look at neighborhoods. We originally were looking at Kingwood because a friend lives there, but my husband would eventually like to do day trips, and that commute is pretty far. So we are focusing our search in Friendswood, Pearland, and the Clearlake area. All have good schools, which is important to us.

What I'm interested in, but having a hard time finding info on, are the town centers. The biggest reason I didn't like Kingwood when I visited was at the town is so spread out: three lane roads, really huge, it was overwhelming. (No offense to Kingwood folks; we're moving from a REALLY small town.) I was wondering if anyone can give me an idea about the town centers for the locations listed above, or if you have recommendations for other nearby towns with good schools and more of a small town feel, I'd love to hear them as well.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-18-2014, 12:06 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,033,025 times
Friendswood would probably have the most small town feel to it, particularly in the older sections. As far as the others having an actual town center - you won't find much of that.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:33 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,965,422 times
Pearland doesn't have a town center if you mean a downtown with shops and such or someplace you can walk to.

There is a large mall called Pearland Town Center, but I doubt that is what you mean. Pearland has grown so large that it does not have a small town feel at all although there are parts of the east side which are a bit more rural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston