Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 07:32 AM

5 posts, read 25,962 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to relocate to texas within the next few months, and really need advise about some areas.

My work will keep me near Johnson Space Center, so was looking at surrounding cities like Friendswood, Clear Lake, and League City. The high school in Friendswood and Clear Lake, both had good ratings. I'm not sure about any other places. I've read & heard good things about Sugarland but was thinking that might be too far to commute for my work.

I'm looking for family friendly and obviously safe areas, with great schools and not too expensive.

Any and all help would be Great !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 07:46 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
Sugar Land is a great place to live, but good lord that commute would be tough. I used to be a JSC contractor, and knew at least 3 guys who lived in Sugar Land and commuted to Clear Lake. It's very doable, but from what they said it really eats up your time. I was told you have to hit a certain window of opportunity going and coming or you are in gridlock. There is a van pool to Sugar Land, so that is something to consider, too.

Pretty much all of the area of your listed places is safe with the exception of some apartment complexes in Clear Lake. Basically there is no truly 'bad neighborhood' out here. Just some areas are older and worn, while other areas may be brand new. League City has almost doubled in size in the last decade.

Friendswood and Clear Lake High are definitely among the state's best. I am pretty sure that you would not be disappointed with Clear Falls or Clear Springs high school. They are both pretty new and didn't even exist 5 years or so ago. I get the impression that Clear Creek isn't bad either.

Sugar Land definitely has more amenities, but I can promise you the commute will compound your stress to the point that a lot of the coolness is negated. You can still find a lot of that stuff in Clear Lake, and League City is still growing pretty fast.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:24 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,266,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Sugar Land is a great place to live, but good lord that commute would be tough. I used to be a JSC contractor, and knew at least 3 guys who lived in Sugar Land and commuted to Clear Lake. It's very doable, but from what they said it really eats up your time. I was told you have to hit a certain window of opportunity going and coming or you are in gridlock. There is a van pool to Sugar Land, so that is something to consider, too.

Pretty much all of the area of your listed places is safe with the exception of some apartment complexes in Clear Lake. Basically there is no truly 'bad neighborhood' out here. Just some areas are older and worn, while other areas may be brand new. League City has almost doubled in size in the last decade.

Friendswood and Clear Lake High are definitely among the state's best. I am pretty sure that you would not be disappointed with Clear Falls or Clear Springs high school. They are both pretty new and didn't even exist 5 years or so ago. I get the impression that Clear Creek isn't bad either.

Sugar Land definitely has more amenities, but I can promise you the commute will compound your stress to the point that a lot of the coolness is negated. You can still find a lot of that stuff in Clear Lake, and League City is still growing pretty fast.

If schools are your primary concern, Friendswood is your best option. Friendswood is the second best school district in Texas behind only Highland Park in Dallas. Clear Lake is a very good district as well, but it is not as good as Friendswood. The difference is in the High Schools.

Clear Lake will be closer to the JSC. It takes about 25-30 minutes during traffic to drive from Friendswood to the JSC due to the sheer quantity of stop lights..its all stop/start.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:58 AM

543 posts, read 1,387,147 times
Any areas that you have mentioned are fine areas to live. I chose Clear Lake b/c I like my 5 min commute.
League City, Friendswood commute would be 20-25 minutes depending where you live.
Clear Falls and Clear Spring HS are good as well.

I don't think that it's worth you commute from Sugar Land.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:46 PM

18 posts, read 43,418 times
Default Are you from MN?

Hi there, just thought maybe based on your name you are coming from MN. If you are, feel free to PM me and I can give you my take on the differences between schools from MN to TX.
I have a child at Clear Lake High School and we have been pretty happy with the school.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:26 PM

Actually coming from South Carolina, sorry. I know the school in Texas will be much better and is one of the many reasons we're considering the move. I did read that Clear Lake HS were also ranked good and I think the housing in Clear Lake area seems more affordable then Friendswood, too.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:32 PM

Default Commute to/from JCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Sugar Land is a great place to live, but good lord that commute would be tough. I used to be a JSC contractor, and knew at least 3 guys who lived in Sugar Land and commuted to Clear Lake. .
I was really thought the commute would be too much to Sugarland. I've heard lots of great things about Friendswood, especially the schools but like the idea of no commute of being in Clear Lake area. The housing seems more affordable there also, then Friendswood.

daniel - did you like working for contractor at JSC? Seems like a great area.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:25 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
East of Hwy 3 is typically more expensive than Friendswood, and if the price is the same per sq ft, the housing in Clear Lake is typically 10-20 years older. Factor in insurance and taxes as well.

www.har.com

For example look at Pine Brook or Bay Pointe and compare it to Heritage Park.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:33 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnf114 View Post
I was really thought the commute would be too much to Sugarland. I've heard lots of great things about Friendswood, especially the schools but like the idea of no commute of being in Clear Lake area. The housing seems more affordable there also, then Friendswood.

daniel - did you like working for contractor at JSC? Seems like a great area.
Yes and no. You can PM me if you ever want details. This is a great area here. You will like it as it has all the amenities you could want and then more are coming. League City is still growing at a rapid pace.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:20 PM

76 posts, read 277,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
East of Hwy 3 is typically more expensive than Friendswood, and if the price is the same per sq ft, the housing in Clear Lake is typically 10-20 years older. Factor in insurance and taxes as well.

www.har.com

For example look at Pine Brook or Bay Pointe and compare it to Heritage Park.
I would also look at the school districts, Heritage Park is zoned to Clear Creek and so are parks of Autumn Creek subdivision. Even though they are in Friendswood they aren't in district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston