Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 10:24 AM

564 posts, read 2,045,851 times

Advertisements

According to the map in the link Houston posted, the exodus seems to be mostly to Arizona, Oregon, Washington (state), Nevada (Las Vegas), Austin, D-FW, Houston and some places in Florida.

I remember seeing a CNN story maybe a couple of years ago about a large number African American Angelenos moving to places in the south like Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 10:53 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Mack View Post
According to the map in the link Houston posted, the exodus seems to be mostly to Arizona, Oregon, Washington (state), Nevada (Las Vegas), Austin, D-FW, Houston and some places in Florida.
And, surprisingly, Arkansas! I didn't see that one coming. To Fayetteville and the University of Arkansas, I suppose?

Old 12-21-2007, 01:31 PM

684 posts, read 2,110,253 times
We'll be joining y'all soon too! We will be moving from north of San Francisco
to Conroe!

Old 12-23-2007, 06:05 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Mack View Post

I remember seeing a CNN story maybe a couple of years ago about a large number African American Angelenos moving to places in the south like Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham.

yes. Many of the blacks in California are settling in Texas. In fact, there is a graph that supports this. I'll try to find that graph and post it here.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:09 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Here's that graph.

Old 12-24-2007, 04:42 AM

84 posts, read 761,395 times
Default ultimate houston, why Californians are coming here. lifestyle

Growing up in San Francisco , several years ago if you asked me, I would never have had the intention of staying permanently in Texas (our entire family is in the SF bay area). My wife and I came to Houston for graduate school and after being here for 9 years would now never consider moving back to California. We loved Houston and Texas from the start growing more attached each year. Most people who tend to complain about Texas or especially Houston have never lived or visited here. Houston offers everything you can find on the west coast but with a significantly higher quality of life. Houston with its booming economy, has the food, culture and international appeal present in California , but instead with a decent lifestyle. In the San Francisco area, currently a $800,000 affords you a 2 bedroom, 1 bath, 60 year old home with 30 minute commute time into the city (just purchased my friend). Homes in the Houston area that price in the $200,000 - $350,000 range with similar more ammeneties go for $1 - 2 million in California. If I miss the beach or skiing or family, I get on a plane.

Old 12-24-2007, 06:22 PM

103 posts, read 438,096 times
I have met five families here in Sienna Plantation that have moved from CA in just the past couple of years. We also moved here from CA this summer. We got out of that market in the nick of time.

We've only been here 6 months, so I'm sure I'll meet many more.

Old 12-24-2007, 06:26 PM

619 posts, read 2,168,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmglab View Post
Growing up in San Francisco , several years ago if you asked me, I would never have had the intention of staying permanently in Texas (our entire family is in the SF bay area). My wife and I came to Houston for graduate school and after being here for 9 years would now never consider moving back to California. We loved Houston and Texas from the start growing more attached each year. Most people who tend to complain about Texas or especially Houston have never lived or visited here. Houston offers everything you can find on the west coast but with a significantly higher quality of life. Houston with its booming economy, has the food, culture and international appeal present in California , but instead with a decent lifestyle. In the San Francisco area, currently a $800,000 affords you a 2 bedroom, 1 bath, 60 year old home with 30 minute commute time into the city (just purchased my friend). Homes in the Houston area that price in the $200,000 - $350,000 range with similar more ammeneties go for $1 - 2 million in California. If I miss the beach or skiing or family, I get on a plane.

Well said!
Hope to be there soon too from OC

Old 12-28-2007, 07:49 PM

410 posts, read 1,682,510 times
Houston is a stable city with extremely affordable housing. After coming out from the Danville/Walnut Creek area I thought I had died and gone to "house heaven". Just miss the foot hills...but no worries... I get my fix by jetting out to Austin!

Old 01-16-2008, 09:08 PM

29 posts, read 106,857 times
Default Moving to Houston from CA or the North

Reading posts. Can't remember which one but contributer wanted an area with golf courses and lakes. We're from Montgomery, TX area with highly rated schools, Walden Subdivision. Golf course and lake access in subdivision. Montgomery is close to great shopping in The Woodlands and outlet Mall, Lake Conroe activites. We had to move though and haven't sold our home. It's a nice 3/2/2 David Weekly home with tall palms and decks and will be a bargain for those out of state. We are short-selling. How does $148K sound? I'm sad to leave our beautiful home but hope someone comes who loves it just as much. 12608 Browning Dr., Montgomery, TX.
Many people commute from Montgomery to N. Houston because they want to live in a town with small town feel. That could be you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston