Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 11:41 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,569,257 times

Advertisements

Californians are flocking to the DFW area, but are they coming in to Houston, too? Why?
I understand many came into San Antonio, but are now leaving to go back to Southern California.
I have not read that Californians were coming in droves to Houston, but thought I better ask those who still live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 12:49 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,788,390 times
I know a few people who left for Houston. The main reason cited is affordable housing. And since they still have many working years ahead, Houston, perceived as being a place with both affordable housing and jobs, seems an ideal place.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:23 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,707,657 times
I don't know about "flocking." We don't know anyone from work or our cul-de-sac from Cali. I'm sure they are around though. Most likely 170 miles W-NW of us.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:40 PM

832 posts, read 3,854,217 times
I moved to Houston from California

Old 10-08-2007, 01:53 PM

300 posts, read 1,849,699 times
I currently live in Northern California. I personally know of 10 households that have moved to Texas, about half to Houston, in the past 18 months. Of the ten, some are households that have many more years to work ahead of them, but have moved to Texas in order get more reasonable housing costs. The rest are people who recently retired and want to cash in the equity in their homes, purchase and pay cash for a bigger/newer house in Texas. I don't know if ten households qualifies as "flocking," but I am aware that people are moving out of California and one destination is Houston, Texas.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:56 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Californians are flocking to the DFW area, but are they coming in to Houston, too? Why?
I understand many came into San Antonio, but are now leaving to go back to Southern California.
I have not read that Californians were coming in droves to Houston, but thought I better ask those who still live there.
130,000 of new orleans not so finest are still there and running out of FEMA.
when this cycles out then houston will be very very inticing.
stephen s
san diego
(U of H grad)

Old 10-08-2007, 02:07 PM

38 posts, read 123,005 times
I don't know about "flocking", but I have seen a few fellow californians around.

I live in northwest houston, We moved to houston almost 2 years ago. Another family from california also moved in at the same time we did, 3 houses down the street from us. and Just last month another family moved from San Francisco, to the house across the street from us.

Hmmm, maybe I should start an ex californian support group in my neighborhood. I'm not saying that I don't like it here, But there's lots of things I miss.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:27 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,788,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzntx View Post
I don't know about "flocking", but I have seen a few fellow californians around.

I live in northwest houston, We moved to houston almost 2 years ago. Another family from california also moved in at the same time we did, 3 houses down the street from us. and Just last month another family moved from San Francisco, to the house across the street from us.

Hmmm, maybe I should start an ex californian support group in my neighborhood. I'm not saying that I don't like it here, But there's lots of things I miss.
I haven't left yet, and I already miss many of the things I take for granted here. I am not sure even where to begin -- great weather; real beaches; world-famous attractions. BTW, I am within 5 minutes of two Costcos, three libraries, and two Bally's gyms. My commute to work is 10 minutes. You don't pay attention to little things like these until you leave.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:40 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,213,315 times
We moved to Friendswood (just south of houston) last January after 5 years in California. We moved for a good job opportunity and the ability to buy our own house after a couple of years. I just looked up the prices of the apartments we were renting in Huntington Beach, Ca and a one bedroom apartment costs more than the house we are currently renting. While I miss the parks and beaches from Ca immensely I find the people, schools and everyday living are better here. You couldn't get me back to Ca.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:04 PM

38 posts, read 123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I haven't left yet, and I already miss many of the things I take for granted here. I am not sure even where to begin -- great weather; real beaches; world-famous attractions. BTW, I am within 5 minutes of two Costcos, three libraries, and two Bally's gyms. My commute to work is 10 minutes. You don't pay attention to little things like these until you leave.

Shopping is not a problem in Houston, I'm also 5 minutes away from a costco and sam's club, and a best buy, a walmart super center and soooo many restaurants.

To me what I miss the most is family, beaches, weather, del taco, and pastrami sandwiches.in that order.

But I love having the extra funds left over at the end of the month, to do whatever my heart desires. And after all happiness is possible where ever you want it to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston