Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 04:34 PM

75 posts, read 205,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I'm talking city not suburbs! I'm just trying to keep Houstonians honest. I keep hearing on the forums how Houston is "so liberal" because they elected a lesbian mayor or something. I'm just trying to keep it real.

The only real liberal city in Texas has and is Austin.

San Antonio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 04:41 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,155,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Again, Dallas County is half the size of Harris County.

Average in ultra conservative Collin County & Tarrant County to the results then tell me how liberal North Texas is then maybe we could make a valid comparison.

Leaning entirely liberal or conservative is not a good thing, a balance of politics is always best. You'd be hard pressed to find a more well balanced county in Texas or in the US than Harris County.
It was sarcasm

Old 11-07-2012, 05:55 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,328,351 times
Quote:
A lot of posters on here have claimed that Houston is more "liberal" than Dallas. However, if you look at the latest election results you have the following:
Harris County voted 49.4% for Obama and 49.3% for Romney.
Dallas County voted 57.1% for Obama and 41.7% for Romney.

It's clear that Dallas is more liberal than Houston.

By the way, some of you said Austin is not really liberal, well Travis County voted 60.2% to 36.2%. So yes, Austin is the most liberal city in Texas and Houston is about half and half Democrats and Republicans.
I knew there was a reason I didn't like living in Dallas as much.... thanks for putting my finger on it!

Old 11-07-2012, 06:17 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
Quote:
Come back when Dallas elects an openly gay mayor

Old 11-07-2012, 07:03 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,004,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Come back when Dallas elects an openly gay mayor
Houston hasn't even elected a Republican mayor in the last 30+ years!

Dallas can't say the same, much less elect an openly lesbian Democrat.

I undertsand the new found liberalism in Dallas is a lot for some locals to take in all in the mean while its nothing new for Houstonians as they've had 30 years to become accustomed to it.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:54 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
Both are about the same. Neither city is conservative but neither is liberal either. Well at least liberal like San Francisco and Boston. Dallas County does lean to the left and Dallas city is even further to the left. If it wasn't for some North Dallas County suburbs, the county voting trends would mirror the coasts and Midwest. Dallas has been trending this way for a while. Kerry won Dallas County in 2004. Bush won it that year. It looks like all major cities in Texas are now blue.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:20 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,961,448 times
Quote:
A lot of posters on here have claimed that Houston is more "liberal" than Dallas. However, if you look at the latest election results you have the following:
Harris County voted 49.4% for Obama and 49.3% for Romney.
Dallas County voted 57.1% for Obama and 41.7% for Romney.

By the way, some of you said Austin is not really liberal, well Travis County voted 60.2% to 36.2%. So yes, Austin is the most liberal city in Texas and Houston is about half and half Democrats and Republicans.
Seriously? Do you know how large Harris County is? The City of Houston alone almost has the same population as Dallas County. The cities of Austin and Dallas hold a larger percentage of its county's population than Houston does with Harris, which includes many right leaning suburbs. You would need to add Williamson to Travis and Collin to Dallas to compare.

It's not a fair comparison.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:54 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,056,625 times
Quote:
I'm talking city not suburbs! I'm just trying to keep Houstonians honest. I keep hearing on the forums how Houston is "so liberal" because they elected a lesbian mayor or something. I'm just trying to keep it real.
Uh, most of Harris County is suburban, not city. Apparently you haven't looked at how geographically large it is on a map in relation to Dallas county. So you are not comparing apples to apples.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:03 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Uh, most of Harris County is suburban, not city. Apparently you haven't looked at how geographically large it is on a map in relation to Dallas county. So you are not comparing apples to apples.
Actually that's no different from Dallas county. Houston makes up slightly less than half of Harris County and Dallas makes up slightly less than half of Dallas county. The suburbs in Dallas county are more blue than those in Harris county.

That said, there both about the same when you factor in the whole metro areas.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:37 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,961,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Actually that's no different from Dallas county. Houston makes up slightly less than half of Harris County and Dallas makes up slightly less than half of Dallas county. The suburbs in Dallas county are more blue than those in Harris county.

That said, there both about the same when you factor in the whole metro areas.
You would still have to had in Tarrant to Dallas County, and add in FW to Dallas city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston