Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 10:41 PM

672 posts, read 848,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Peters View Post
Amazing! Why do dogs bark??? Usually, they are trying to warn the owner something is wrong!! Several years back my neighbor next door had a knife in his neck (he was robbed). He crawled from his house and landed in the middle of his yard and my yard (MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT). My dog starting barking because she heard a faint noise. She kept barking and I finally went to see what was going on and I found my neighbor. I called the police and my neighbor is alive today! Why!!! Because my dog was barking.... YOU MIGHT WANT TO SEE WHAT IS GOING ON NEXT TIME.
You should probably read the OP before posting AND reviving a 2 year old thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 06:53 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,643,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
You should probably read the OP before posting AND reviving a 2 year old thread.
Actually, it worked out well. I missed this thread and now I love the idea of the prepaid phone. I just need to see if I can get the neighbor's phone number.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:31 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,987,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Actually, it worked out well. I missed this thread and now I love the idea of the prepaid phone. I just need to see if I can get the neighbor's phone number.
Actually phone number is pretty easy to get now and days. Do a google search and any of those whois lookup place that you paid couple dollars for will usually have it.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:09 AM

33 posts, read 49,292 times
One word. Poison.

No seriously, this is my biggest fear about moving into a house. I've lived in apartments my entire life and the most desirable aspect of owning a home is the space, peace, and quiet.

I would really plea with them to make it stop. If it doesn't, well... I'm the kind of person that gets even. No I wouldn't poison their dogs but I'd come up with a nonchalant method to annoy them until they got the hint.

BOL.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,429 times
Default Barking Up The Wrong Tree

Sometime after midnight last night I was awakened to someone (loudly) knocking at the house next door. It turned out to be a law officer. Word this morning is that the incessant barking next door (I can attest to 15-18 hours yesterday and on through the night) prompted a neighbor to make a noise disturbance call. I almost laughed out loud. Barking has become the least of my worries. The "house" next door has at least 6-8 big adult dogs in a small backyard. A few dogs, apparently females, are housed inside homemade "kennels", chained or otherwise tethered, and are usually accompanied by a litter of pups. The rest, apparently males, are on chains out in the open, with home-made "doghouses" nearby. (I use the terms "house", "kennels" and "doghouses" quite loosely here.) These dogs are bred continuously and do not venture outside of their very small areas (except for one particular dog who sometimes manages to flee); however, the same cannot be said for their "owners" (yes, a term used loosely again), who seemingly change hands quite often. There have been many different people "living" there, off and on, beginning in the summer of 2011, yet...the same dogs remain behind. Hmmm. Suffice it to say that we who live around this aren't stupid and even the teenagers recognize the situation next door for what it is, in the rawest of terms: a traphouse. So I look this word up in the urban dictionary and find out that the definition definitively defines what everyone else around me already knew: the property is indeed a traphouse, complete with drug transactions and a puppy mill grinding away, with the dogs obviously winning out as the top moneymaker. It seems that a person can really get away with abuse and neglect in the name of money these days, just as long as it's an animal that is neglected and abused. The police force can do absolutely nothing, other than to dampen the access to the drugs, which is excellent, and it works, except that those particular dog "owners" leave to escape the heat. The dogs then must remain behind to fend for themselves, hopefully for just a couple or more days, until their new "owners" arrive to set up shop. The SPCA can do nothing because the "owners" mimic the minimum specifications needed to appear to be in compliance with cruelty laws. The county dog control can do nothing, unless the dog is loose, in which case I have personally seen a county dog control officer manuever the dog back in the "kennel" and leave, literally turning their back on the root of this problem. At any rate, the traphouse renter is now in the process of sub-letting to new dog "owners", so, once again, the dogs are "living" without human supervision and are loudly barking out their dissatisfaction and discontent. And who could blame them?

Old 04-16-2015, 03:19 PM

7 posts, read 12,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutbutter View Post

Even though the dogs are annoying as hell, I know it's not their fault. While I do want some quiet, a part of me honestly feels bad for them.
You are right, it's not dogs fault that their owners are inconsiderate morons.
Part of the problem is that windows in houses are typically made of the cheapest material available on the market at the time of construction, so they do not have any sound insulation properties whatsoever.

Anyway, if nothing else is helping, try to talk to animal control and see what they have to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: