Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 07:56 PM

30 posts, read 78,806 times

Advertisements

I just came back from visiting the Northeast (NYC/NJ) and brought back some great pastries from a 40+ year old Italian Bakery (Monteleone's in Jersey City). I was wondering if anyone knew of any great Italian Bakeries in Houston ? It doesn't even have to be in Houston, I would be willing to commute if there is one worth checking out.

So far Yelp hasn't really been of much help, I was hoping I could get some feedback here.

Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 08:51 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
In my experience, the best bakeries in the area are the Mexican ones. There are plenty of the trendy, boutique bakeries around, but not really all that many of the mom and pop type bakeries you find up in the northeast.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:07 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
I already shared a mexican bakery that I really liked (Garibaldi)
I grew up in Venezuela in a town full of italian bakeries and I'm not gonna lie to you, Garibaldi is not an Italian bakery
but the bread is great and has some great pastries.

Now, since I'm in love with Garibaldi, it'd be interesting to see your opinion since you are used to Italian bakeries.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:40 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
Houston doesn't have the big Italian population and influence that ny or nj do so that will be hard to find here. Maybe not impossible but will take some searching. Because of the large Mexican population, that is why you can easily find a Mexican bakery.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:49 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
You'll find more Italian-Texans from Galveston to Clear Lake. Maybe search in that area. A good # of decent restaurants in the area but no bakeries I'm familiar with. Most of us are 1/2 or 1/4 and mixed with everyone upon arrival around 1900, and didn't stay true to the roots like in the NE.

OTOH great panaderias are everywhere.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:17 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,494,577 times
Well, a google search came up with 2. Have you tried Tuscany, Colosseum?
Three Brothers bakery has a wide selection of stuff even though it's not an Italian family, they have jewish/european origins I think.
If you are looking for specifics like cannolis, you may try local Italian restaurants.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:04 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
Not sure if this place is still open but rao's gets good reviews as Italian bakery and coffee. It's in cypress wood area of Houston.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:27 PM

30 posts, read 78,806 times
I've been to Three Brothers, and some other bakeries around town like Moeller's for example. I guess I am looking for a place that makes things like Rugelach, Seven layer cookies, pignoli cookies, cannolis, etc. I am going to give Rao's a try and some of the other bakeries posted, the Colosseum and Garibaldi's sounds interesting also.

I wanted to post this here because this forum is where I found out about Romano's Pizza and Maine-ly Sandwiches for lobster rolls ! I appreciate all the feedback

Old 06-20-2013, 10:18 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,265 times
Try Drew's Pastry Place on Louetta Road near Cutten in the Vintage area. It's a real Italian Bakery run by real Italian guy from New Jersey. Fantastic Cannolis! Black and white cookies too. Drew also "imports" his bagels from NYC and bakes them on-site. They are the real thing!

If you go, say hi to Drew. He's always working in the kitchen baking more fresh treats.

There is also a selection of take out/heat-up-at-home Italian food for sale like Lasagna, stuffed shells, etc., but I've never tried it.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:07 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
Try Drew's Pastry Place on Louetta Road near Cutten in the Vintage area. It's a real Italian Bakery run by real Italian guy from New Jersey. Fantastic Cannolis! Black and white cookies too. Drew also "imports" his bagels from NYC and bakes them on-site. They are the real thing!

If you go, say hi to Drew. He's always working in the kitchen baking more fresh treats.

There is also a selection of take out/heat-up-at-home Italian food for sale like Lasagna, stuffed shells, etc., but I've never tried it.
Bagels and black and whites? Thanks for the rec!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston