Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 03:08 PM

27 posts, read 58,769 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the weather warnings. I'm currently considering putting on my central heating as its raining and approx 47 degrees f outside :-(. I agree that I'd rather the extreme heat to the miserable cold.

I managed a quick trip to Houston a few weeks ago to get a feel for the place. I'm considering the Cinco Ranch area, mainly for what I have read about the schools - i've got one boy starting high school and one who will be 7th grade junior high - and the local schools there seem to fit what we need and have mostly good reports.

Last edited by LJSassy30; 07-02-2013 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 04:51 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,394,970 times
Where is your office? You will want to live nearby your work. Is your company using a relocation service? If not, see if you can get one.

We moved to Katy from Canada 5 years ago, but the commute was brutal for my husband. So we moved in town last year.

If you work downtown, I would advise living in the loop, Pearland, or the Heights.( budget allowing)

If you work in the Galleria, I would advise Spring Branch/ memorial area, meyerland, bellaire, or hwy 6 area by I 10( this last area is Katy Schools but in houston)

Don't let people sway you on the suburb battle...the best suburb is the one with the shortest commute. seriously! There are good schools in almost every district here, you just have to find them.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:34 PM

50 posts, read 117,794 times
107 with 117 heat index not scary? People can die in that kind of warmth. I worked in it all day on that particular day but wasn't out in the sun. Didn't get a whole lot done but having a water spray bottle in a cooler sure helped. And you sure don't want your car to break down on the side of one of Houston's freeways during a real hot day either.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:51 PM

175 posts, read 367,650 times
My husband is Scottish. We moved back from Aberdeen last year. Neither of us miss Scotland at all. As long as it doesn't get above 100F here, it is all good. We love it--love the weather, the people, great museums, amazing food, nice big house... you will enjoy it, I bet. I live in the Energy Corridor which is east of Katy. We are zoned to Barbara Bush which is reputed to be an excellent school. We sold up in Stonehaven and bought something out here. Best of luck to you! This forum is very helpful. If you give people an idea of your housing budget, they can provide lots of advice on neighborhoods.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:59 PM

Bronstew is right about that area of houston. Barbara Bush is a great school.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:12 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,150,844 times
I didn't realize we had so many people from the UK here.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:59 PM

811 posts, read 1,557,538 times
Add another to the list!

Old 07-02-2013, 07:24 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorprey View Post
Welcome, don't let the heat & humidity scare you.
Oh - it will scare them. And they will have two months to go... ? Make sure the A/C is in tip-top shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSassy30 View Post
Thanks for the weather warnings. I'm currently considering putting on my central heating as its raining and approx 47 degrees f outside :-(. I agree that I'd rather the extreme heat to the miserable cold.

I managed a quick trip to Houston a few weeks ago to get a feel for the place. I'm considering the Cinco Ranch area, mainly for what I have read about the schools - i've got one boy starting high school and one who will be 7th grade junior high - and the local schools there seem to fit what we need and have mostly good reports.
Katy is a decent area. Hopefully you will be working within a 20 minute drive. God bless you on the move.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:22 AM

27 posts, read 58,769 times
Thanks for all your comments, they are hugely appreciated.

My Dad has worked in the O&G industry all my like, spent most of my childhood living in Calgary - polar opposite to Houston climate. He then worked most of my teens & twenties in Dubai, where I visited regularly, so i really do understand how awful the heat can be. Hot, humid hell, but still better IMO than drizzly cold Scotland. Although I may change my opinion in the future lol.

Regarding where work is, I'm lucky to be a stay at home mum. Quite a few if my hubby's colleagues live in Katy and have advised the commute is fine if you leave early in the morning. At the moment he has a 1 hour commute to and from work, so anything less is a bonus. I'm not sure of the exact location of his office, but it isn't down town and not as far East as the Galleria, kind of Memorial area from what I remember, off Sam Houston I think???

Our home price range is approx $400, would rather spend less though we could spend a little more for the right home. Needing a decent size 5 bedroom home with good schools being my overall priority, which is why Katy topped my initial list of where to consider. Any other suggestions or recommendations are gratefully received as I only know what info I have read on forums and Houston is a big City. We are getting our rent paid for first year, so are able to wait for the right home.

Does anyone know if my boys are able to enroll in a school without a proper Houston address at first? We will be arriving the week before school term starts and will be staying in a hotel initially whilst looking for a suitable rental home. This is a big concern for me.

The questions have started :-). Thanks in advance for your help.

L x

Old 07-03-2013, 06:48 AM

Katy will be fine if you are okay with an hour commute. I would live closer to I 10 instead of south near the tollway, because the ft. bend tollway is so crowded. ( I had lived there and we had to move.) I advise your husband to try the drive before you rent or buy. The commute will be less the closer to I 10 you are. Stay in Old Katy area or south of I10. Try to not use the I 10 and 99 exit as it gets quite backed up during rush hour. Green Trails, Nottingham Country, Northern Cinco Ranch ( older section) are east of 99. Lots of OG people there with homes going fast and lots of trees. New homes close to I 10 are west of 99. There are some really nice homes there.

Schools are good in most of south Katy. The only elem. that I am iffy on is Cimmaron. Everyone will tell you the "best" ones are far out close to Fulshear, but they are all good.

I am a SAHM and my husband is in O and G too. So lots of moving. You will make friends fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston