Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 05:02 PM

27 posts, read 58,769 times

Advertisements

Thats the offer sorted and accepted, whoop whoop!! Houston here we come!!!!!

I'm coming over on a house hunting trip Saturday 27th July (I need an address to register my boys in school for start of term), so busy getting my list of properties ready. I know there are many opinions on living in Katy/the burbs, but it is the area that i feel suites my family needs.

The problem now being where in Katy would you recommend renting?? Some of the areas I'm considering are in Cinco Ranch, Cross Creek Ranch, Pine Mill Ranch, Silver Ranch & Grayson Lakes as I like the schools these areas are zoned to.

Does one sub division have something better/worse over the other? Are there issues with any of the areas that I should be aware of? Local amenities are important i.e. pools, playgrounds, walks as I will also need to keep an energetic 2 year old occupied. I would also like to be in an area that has organised events for the residents to go to as these seem to be a great ways of meeting other people.

Thanks for reading and any info you may provide.

L x
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 05:57 PM

675 posts, read 1,454,131 times
Any of those locations are excellent choices. All zoned to the same school (with the exception of Grayson Lakes for High School, and some others for Jr. High's). They all have some sort of amenities (Cinco Ranch, CCR having the fancier of the list). If you go to Facebook and type in the community name you will find that residents often times put up a Facebook page for the residents and your able to peek in there and see what everyone is up to. All those places have strong HOA's (Home owner associations) and are located in South Katy. You should be more than safe. Excellent choice. Welcome Y'all!

Old 07-17-2013, 09:59 PM

26 posts, read 45,821 times
Hi.
I'm Irish and have lived in cinco ranch Katy for the past two years. We are actually heading home next week as we come to end of my husband's work assignment here.

We have really like Cinco Ranch and Katy. We choose it for good schools, low crime, nice family lifestyle, only 20 minute commute to my husbands work.

We are in the Cinco 1 area. In only the two years that we are here we've seen the area grow so much. We have seen lovely new communities out more west like Cross Creek Ranch you mention but it could be a long commute to work so bare this in mind.

Regarding schools they are all good in this area. In the newer areas west of cinco the sizes have increased a lot. I have heard that while the new areas are being built the new families there are in schools to the east of their zone. I am glad for that reason we went with cinco 1 area as right now school sizes there are smaller than the newer areas and I like that there is a fully established area here.

We have lived in an apartment the last two years. Living space is quite big, it is Texas so you can get pretty nice sized apartments, however there are pros and cons to apartment living. We had management change numerous times. Luckily we had quiet neighbors but know others in our complex who had noisy neighbors and dogs. All in all though it has been good. I have felt safe thee and for temporary two years it worked ideal for us with inside pool, gym etc as pluses. Rental price is expensive here but on the plus side you are zoned to schools all of which are good. It's a great place to live. If I can be of any help just message me.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:39 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,515,443 times
Exciting! Welcome to Houston!

Old 07-18-2013, 08:09 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,413,637 times
Welcome to Houston, I think you'll like it here. I am from Ireland (Dublin) and love the heat and humidity. Id take 80F all year round over any sort of chill. Good luck with the house hunting. There is plenty of ex pats in the area too, ive stumbled across a few just bar hopping!

Old 07-18-2013, 10:42 AM

27 posts, read 58,769 times
Thanks for your welcomes. Now that the move is agreed and imminent, i'm starting to get excited!!!

I've found myself (by accident) a friendly realtor who will help up visit the rental properties we have shortlisted on our arrival next weekend. I'm really looking forward to visiting them all to allow me to get a feel for the neighbourhoods. I do keep coming back to the thought that we should stay in Cinco due the vast amount of amenities they seem to have.

Once we've decided on a home, we will then get the opportunity to visit the local schools (organised by realtor), which will calm my nerves for my boys a bit.

The plans are now being put into action, whoop whoop!!!

Old 07-18-2013, 12:26 PM

183 posts, read 380,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSassy30 View Post
Thanks for your welcomes. Now that the move is agreed and imminent, i'm starting to get excited!!!

I've found myself (by accident) a friendly realtor who will help up visit the rental properties we have shortlisted on our arrival next weekend. I'm really looking forward to visiting them all to allow me to get a feel for the neighbourhoods. I do keep coming back to the thought that we should stay in Cinco due the vast amount of amenities they seem to have.

Once we've decided on a home, we will then get the opportunity to visit the local schools (organised by realtor), which will calm my nerves for my boys a bit.

The plans are now being put into action, whoop whoop!!!
While Cinco Ranch does have everything you will need (restaraunts, shopping, groceries, entertainment), dont be fooled into thinking that you can walk to everything. Neighborhoods are huge and you could end up with a mile + walk to anything. Add in the summer heat here, walking will be the last thing you want to do. Welcome to Texas

Old 07-18-2013, 12:34 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,439,076 times
The Heather & Thistle Society of Houston is a fun group of Scots (and Scottish enthusiasts). I recommend looking into it. They do a good Burns Supper every year.

The Heather and Thistle Society

EDIT: Oh No! I just read that the H&T Society had to dissolve this year. 60 years! I think there is still a group doing a Burns Supper though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston