Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Houston's Beauty underrated?
Yes, Definitely! 42 23.46%
Not at all 70 39.11%
Somewhat, not entirely 66 36.87%
Other (Please explain) 1 0.56%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 11:29 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Regarding the last comment, I agree. That said, there are ways to prevent them from being downright ugly, and most other cites don't suffer the intensity and consistency of this kind of development along their freeways as Houston. That is the point I've been making about the impact of feeder roads. As I said, even in Houston, those few freeways without frontage roads are more attractive than those with them.

Compare this: http://goo.gl/maps/gCKNa
. . . with this: http://goo.gl/maps/NRIah
Yes 288 is a gem except for its propensity to flood of course. You are preaching to the choir here, we seem to agree. Perhaps you should form an organization "Houstonians against ugly feeders" ,or something to that effect. If you put up an attractive enough web page, I'll donate a few bucks for the cause..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 12:03 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah. i dont see the Texas style access roads like on other cities that i been to either. They do not exist in DC. They do have side roads in Chicago but they are different. It's just side streets and its really only in Eisenhour and the Dan Ryan. In the ike, it ends right when oak park.I only know of one in Miami metro and thats along east-west the palmetto/826. Most if Miami highways do not have feeder roads.
And I certainly never said otherwise, so I'm not even sure why it's still being discussed. [mod edit - rude]

Last edited by Oildog; 07-20-2013 at 01:33 PM..

Old 07-14-2013, 12:47 PM

175 posts, read 367,574 times
I think Houston is beautiful on a micro-scale, i.e. there are areas of Houston that are stunningly beautiful. I saw some gorgeous oak-lined avenues in Sugar Land that just made me swoon. And there are areas of the Museum District that are just gorgeous--so green, lush, semi-tropical... What Houston doesn't have is the macro-beauty, i.e. breathtaking vistas with mountains or large hills in the background, but I can live without that. I can see that when I go on vacation.

I recently took a trip to Savannah, GA, which is also a Gulf Coast city, fairly flat... it is stunning. There are large, tree-lined avenues with historic homes and Spanish moss everywhere. I came back telling everyone that there is really no reason that Houston couldn't look like that, at least in the older areas. Houston just wasn't planned with beauty in mind, and that's a pity.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronstew View Post
I think Houston is beautiful on a micro-scale, i.e. there are areas of Houston that are stunningly beautiful. I saw some gorgeous oak-lined avenues in Sugar Land that just made me swoon. And there are areas of the Museum District that are just gorgeous--so green, lush, semi-tropical... What Houston doesn't have is the macro-beauty, i.e. breathtaking vistas with mountains or large hills in the background, but I can live without that. I can see that when I go on vacation.

I recently took a trip to Savannah, GA, which is also a Gulf Coast city, fairly flat... it is stunning. There are large, tree-lined avenues with historic homes and Spanish moss everywhere. I came back telling everyone that there is really no reason that Houston couldn't look like that, at least in the older areas. Houston just wasn't planned with beauty in mind, and that's a pity.
Well, Savannah is the Atlantic Coast, but I see your point either way.

Perhaps it's a difference in the cultures between the subregions, but I always notice how much more manicured the Southeast is to the South Central US (with Florida being the exception). Atlanta, Charlotte, Savannah, and Charleston are noticeably more elegant than Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, and Baton Rouge, which are more gritty and rough in appearance.

We could take some pointers from those southern cities further east.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:13 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Yes 288 is a gem except for its propensity to flood of course. You are preaching to the choir here, we seem to agree. Perhaps you should form an organization "Houstonians against ugly feeders" ,or something to that effect. If you put up an attractive enough web page, I'll donate a few bucks for the cause..
Funny! I think that cat's out of the bag, however. Seems like several folks are in agreement with us however.

Later . . .

Old 07-14-2013, 10:22 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
And I certainly never said otherwise, so I'm not even sure why it's still being discussed. Several people here have p iss poor comprehension skills.
So help us out. What are you actually saying when you say every city has feeder roads? Because for example, Chicago has side roads that run along the freeway in parts of the city. But they do no relate to the freeway like feeders. The side road is part of the neighborhood. Feeders are pretty much not part of it.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
So help us out. What are you actually saying when you say every city has feeder roads? Because for example, Chicago has side roads that run along the freeway in parts of the city. But they do no relate to the freeway like feeders. The side road is part of the neighborhood. Feeders are pretty much not part of it.
Yep, that's also true of several cities I listed earlier (as a reminder: Boston, Philly, Wilmington, Hampton Roads, Roanoke, and Kansas City). I asked this poster to provide google street view images of access roads in each of those cities. (BTW - It's not hard to do, as I provided images of stretches of highways in 11 cities lacking such roads.) Access roads may even be found in one or two of the above cities, however, I certainly don't recall them. If found, however, I'll stand corrected.

I have to conclude this poster is unable to defend this statement:
Quote:
. . . why don't you tell me of some major cities without feeder roads? I can't think of any.
Everyone makes errors from time to time. In my book, being able to admit an error demonstrates good communication skills. In this instance, by charging others with poor communication skills rather than owning up to it, it seems the pot may be calling the kettle a different color.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Yep, that's also true of several cities I listed earlier (as a reminder: Boston, Philly, Wilmington, Hampton Roads, Roanoke, and Kansas City). I asked this poster to provide google street view images of access roads in each of those cities. (BTW - It's not hard to do, as I provided images of stretches of highways in 11 cities lacking such roads.) Access roads may even be found in one or two of the above cities, however, I certainly don't recall them. If found, however, I'll stand corrected.

I have to conclude this poster is unable to defend this statement:

Everyone makes errors from time to time. In my book, being able to admit an error demonstrates good communication skills. In this instance, by charging others with poor communication skills rather than owning up to it, it seems the pot may be calling the kettle a different color.
I made my point very clear, and explained just what a feeder road was, but I'm tired of having to repeat myself because there's a group of people who want to play dumb.

As usual, jm02, we will leave this discussion convinced that the other man is wrong. You knew it would happen.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I made my point very clear, and explained just what a feeder road was, but I'm tired of having to repeat myself because there's a group of people who want to play dumb.

As usual, jm02, we will leave this discussion convinced that the other man is wrong.
I agree with in those statements in which you are factually correct. I've even repped you a few times. In this particular instance, however, it's not me who has proposed the following statement is factually wrong, it's google maps:
Quote:
Since you're so certain of my ignorance, though, why don't you tell me of some major cities without feeder roads? I can't think of any.
Show me the access roads in street view in Boston, Philly, Wilmington, Hampton Roads and Kansas City as starters and I'll be happy to say this statement is correct. Why do you keep dodging?

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 07-15-2013 at 11:37 AM..

Old 07-18-2013, 04:12 PM

7 posts, read 20,307 times
Sorry to butt into this fascinating discussion about on and off ramps, but I am considering moving to Houston for a job (from Minnesota) and have a few questions about the general city environment and figured this thread would be the best place to ask.

1. Being from Minnesota I grew up with a lot of lakes, water, and green spaces. This was my favorite part about about MN and I would really like to have that in the city I move to. My stereotype of TX was hot, dry and dusty but it seems like Houston is an exception to that rule. driving around on Google street view it looks like the area gets a good amount of rain. Are things green pretty much year round? Is there enough rain to keep your lawn green or do you need to water? What about parks and running trails, are there many of them and are they well maintained?

2. How clean is Houston? The roads seem to be in good shape (a very nice contrast to MN where our road conditions are comparable to somalia/pakistan/kenya/insert other third world country here) but is there a lot of litter and junk lying around? Of course there will be in poorer areas but what about in typical suburban middle class communities?

3. When you turn on the tap water in your house and move the faucet to the coldest setting, is the water actually cold? Strange question I know but I visited Phoenix recently and the water was either warm or hot, kind of weird to know the only way to get cold water is to put it in the fridge.

4. Is there a fall season in houston? Do the leaves come off the trees or are they on all through the winter? This is the best part about living in the upper midwest, our falls are beautiful (although short). It would be a bummer if there was no fall.

5. Is it reasonable to expect to find a nice 1BR apartment (nice apartment, safe and well-kept area) within 30 minutes of downtown for say ~700 a month?

6. Is there a city sales or income tax like there is in Minneapolis? Since there's no state income tax () where does funding for schools, etc. come from? all federal?

7. How many of the homes around Houston have basements?

I dont think I would mind the heat too much--its 95 degrees and humid in Minneapolis right now. but for 8 months of that every year? hmm...

Last edited by MK92; 07-18-2013 at 04:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston