Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 08:28 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,394,970 times

Advertisements

I am tired of Houston bashing. We all know the issues of living in this city and surrounding areas. I want to celebrate this thriving and vibrant city.

1. Houston has decent and safe neighborhoods in almost every price range.

From the expensive : Tanglewood, memorial, West U, Bellaire, River Oaks, Heights, any burb

To the moderate : any burb, Meyerland, West Houston, Westbury, Maplewood, parts of the Spring Branch area north of I10 etc...

2. Miller Outdoor theater

3. amazing healthcare/hospitals/doctors

4.Terry Hershey park/ Memorial park

5. direct flights to so many international cities

6. shopping (Harwin, Galleria, small funky boutiques, upscale shops of every variety)

7. restaurant variety- you can eat at a new restaurant every night for a year

8. very diverse population

9. jobs, jobs, jobs

10. long gardening season

11. warm winters

Anything else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 08:31 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,366,374 times
Thank you for that, Meyerland. I love our great city as well.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:24 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,206,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I am tired of Houston bashing. We all know the issues of living in this city and surrounding areas. I want to celebrate this thriving and vibrant city.

1. Houston has decent and safe neighborhoods in almost every price range.

From the expensive : Tanglewood, memorial, West U, Bellaire, River Oaks, Heights, any burb

To the moderate : any burb, Meyerland, West Houston, Westbury, Maplewood, parts of the Spring Branch area north of I10 etc...

2. Miller Outdoor theater

3. amazing healthcare/hospitals/doctors

4.Terry Hershey park/ Memorial park

5. direct flights to so many international cities

6. shopping (Harwin, Galleria, small funky boutiques, upscale shops of every variety)

7. restaurant variety- you can eat at a new restaurant every night for a year More like two years - per type

8. very diverse population Over 90 embassies

9. jobs, jobs, jobs

10. long gardening season

11. warm winters

Anything else?
People - we are so diverse - and made up of the most welcoming people. That is Houston's greatest strength.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:28 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,057,585 times
I lived in Houston about three years, and loved it. Still have friends in the central "cool" areas there.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:03 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,664,874 times
long gardening season

Yes! I have friends mentioning (on Facebook and elsewhere) about their first fresh from the backyard garden cucumber or tomato or pepper, and we have been bringing in fresh produce for months! It is wonderful!

After 9 years here, there is still so much for us to discover...places to eat, places to go, people to meet. Houston never gets old to us.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:19 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times
I was making salads out of my garden before most people were planting theirs, I can't complain about that.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:22 AM

61 posts, read 113,727 times
Boy, don't even try to touch this
Boy, this beat is crazy
This is how they made me
Houston, Texas baby!

Old 07-20-2013, 11:17 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,304,323 times
- Very diverse (Love the food diversity)
- Almost tropical
- Close to the beach (better than the lakes I used to swim in Missouri)
- Lots of trees in North Houston (I lived in San Antonio before moving here)
- Lots of venezuelans (where I'm from)
- Got a venezuelan restaurant close to my house
- Next month "Churromania" (Venezuelan churro chain) is gonna open it's first location in Houston in Willowbrook mall
- It's an engineers job paradise. I didn't like my first job here and almost instantly I found a MUCH better job (took a couple of weeks because the guy that was gonna interview me was on vacation)

And I'm sure there's many others that I can't think of right now

Old 07-20-2013, 02:01 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,057,585 times
Really great museums. We have nothing remotely close in Austin to something like HMNS. The zoo. the Theatre District. Miss pro sports too.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:27 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,887,242 times
What convinced me to move back to Houston (hopefully soon) was a trip in January where I found a green landscape with flowers blooming around the city. The weather was cool but not too cold to brown out things like in places further north and west. I live in Austin and in the winter, everything is very drab and brown because we have some pretty hard freezes here. I can't wait to get to a greener landscape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston