Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 04:31 PM

21,504 posts, read 10,627,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
Really? What are we the absolute best in? What food could you say that Houston is famous for around the country.

I agree with the food diversity though nobody can top our variety and quantity of the ethnic foods that Houston offers.
Houston isn't famous for anything except possibly Urban Cowboy and the Astrodome. So what? It doesn't mean that we don't have food diversity. Ninfa's invented Tacos al Carbon, or at least brought it to the world. I've been to every major Texas city, and quite a few small to medium size towns, and not one place rivals Houston for good TexMex. Yes, even you, San Antonio!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 05:41 PM

213 posts, read 389,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Not really. It's too car centric to be a world class city.

It needs good public transportation. No one comes here to vacation unless they are visiting relatives.

Houston does have good museums and public art, a great symphony and ballet company and some great parks. It has a reasonable variety of ethnic foods, but not as good, imo, as Chicago (great Indian and middle eastern food) or San Francisco (great Asian food), etc. I miss that I can't get decent bagels here also (bagels should NOT be soft and they should have onion and garlic bagels not just sweet ones or plain ones.
What it lacks it makes up for in sheer southern hospitality and can do spirit. Visitors may not like transit options here, but they sure do love the interesting mix of culture here. I never meet a stranger in Houston. Whether it be a janitor or a socialite eating at Brasserie 19, most everyone here knows how to smile and say hi.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:06 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,414,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonForThis View Post
You really need to get out more. Leave your bubble and explore the 600 square miles that is Houston proper. It's good for the soul in that it'll make you feel (even) more superior about yourself when you're through.
I have lived all over Houston including : energy corridor, alief, galleria, Katy, and MEyerland. Not sure what my "bubble" is. I also have taught in Alief and Katy, so I think I've got a pretty good idea of what women are like in Houston. There are all sizes and races. Maybe we just hang out in different places.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:05 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,687,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Houston isn't famous for anything except possibly Urban Cowboy and the Astrodome. So what? It doesn't mean that we don't have food diversity. Ninfa's invented Tacos al Carbon, or at least brought it to the world. I've been to every major Texas city, and quite a few small to medium size towns, and not one place rivals Houston for good TexMex. Yes, even you, San Antonio!
Just Urban Cowboy and the Astrodome?

5 words:

Houston, we have a problem.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:22 AM

7,893 posts, read 11,448,153 times
Houston is so crowded already without tourist or good mass transit transportation which allows for higher density and packs more people in per sm.

Houston goes its own way, no zoning which no major city would dare consider, it has pros and cons but contributes to the highly competitive food scene and lower cost of housing.

Being a world class city means following the rules some mysterious group decided a city must have to be so. When did people get so smart that one model fits all cities?

I like my cities with their own flare. Singapore is a city that Houston reminds me of weather wise but I rarely hear someone say Im going to to Singapore to site see.

I spent a lot of years in Houston and miss it but must say Dallas has that same Texas flare and attitude with slightly nicer fall and spring weather. Texas is the common thread

Old 09-26-2013, 08:43 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,158,061 times
Quote:
great Indian and middle eastern food) or San Francisco (great Asian food),
Go to Harwin for Indian food
Go to Bellaire for Chinese

Both have some of the best in the country.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:40 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,040,981 times
Its true I have yet to have good Indian food elsewhere. Houston is tops for Indian food.

Same with Mediterranean food. Best Arabic food ever is in Houston.

Best Mexican food I've ever had was in New Mexico.

Asian = NYC and LA, no competition

Old 09-26-2013, 10:42 AM

21,504 posts, read 10,627,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Just Urban Cowboy and the Astrodome?

5 words:

Houston, we have a problem.
Touche! I forgot the space program, but really all we get out of that is a lot of people using that phrase whenever there's a problem.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:07 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,030,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newton22 View Post
OP must like his women big.
You have fat women everywhere you go. Up north practically every women is fat.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:11 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,030,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
Houston would be a world class city if it had what most other world class cities have. Decent public transportation, international tourist destinations, more cohesive development and industrial layout rather than urban sprawl, and distinct communities and neighborhoods instead of far flung MPC's or a mash of small nucleus areas that run into each other, Houston also tends to get pushed out of the national spotlight despite its size. Aesthetic beauty and humid weather isn't exactly a strong suit either.

Another thing Houston needs to stop comparing itself to other cities in Texas and focus on comparing itself to other cities across the country and the world.

But the real question is... Does Houston really want to or even care to be a world class city? Many people on this forum and around town will tell you that they were able to afford a great home, have a stable job, have things to do on weekends that fit their hobbies and can live comfortably. So to those folks, it really doesn't matter what the outer world thinks. And this is what goes along with having folks that aren't snobby, they do what pleases them and what they like and if you want to join great! if not then bye! Its a mix of ignorance is bliss coupled with do what you love, love what you do.

Really? What are we the absolute best in? What food could you say that Houston is famous for around the country.

I agree with the food diversity though nobody can top our variety and quantity of the ethnic foods that Houston offers.
Part of the reason I came here was because of the lack of public transportation. It means more cars on the road and more miles driven which equals more work for me as an autotechnician.
You do bring up some valid points though. What do you mean by distinct neighborhoods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston