Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 01:28 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,346,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Dirty deed is a moron. I live in LA and love it but I yearn to be around Houstonians again. They exhibit a down to earth, jovial and witty character about them that is severely lacking in LA. Places like LA and NYC, for the most part are places where trends are mass marketed, where you go to make it which in this day and age means selling out. Thank god for places like Houston, Atlanta, Austin etc where art and creativity still flow without the commercial appeal sucking the life out if it. There is no establishment barking orders and such. There isn't this overly competitive vibe either.

Sure I will give it you that out in the stix its backwards but I would not call the city as inferior.
I'm grateful for Houston and New York. Each of them do things for me that the other really can't. It's just a pity that they're so far away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 04:20 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,847,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeedsdundee View Post
Houston is no where near the likes of Los Angeles nor Atlanta. It has no character whatsoever not lets long culture . Atlanta and Los Angeles are cities with impecible ambiences such as music , entertainment , tourism , and great public transportation. Houston is rather a country bumkin backwater , republican infestated, bible thumping hicktown. It's like a large Beaumont , the neighbor to the east . It also wants nothing to do with decent mass transit because Houston is and never will be a top echelon city with the type on mentality it carries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Spell check and grammar check alert!
And newbie trolling alert!
Don't feed them. A few other ones have finally been banned, so some of the same characters may come back under new names...

Old 09-30-2013, 04:51 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
Sorry. Gotta disagree. Houston does not have "long periods of very nice weather." It's humid from as early as March to all the way to as late as November . Slight majority of the year is not mild to cool. It may not be hot temperature-wise, but it will still feel steamy. If you can handle the humidity and the mosquitoes, then Houston will be tolerable. Just like in LA, if you can handle the traffic, then LA would be tolerable. 2 cents please.
Oh come on. Look at these temps
Houston Month Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for TX 77002

It's probably humid but it's 70 degrees. Who cares if it's humid at 70 degrees.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:46 PM

1,011 posts, read 977,518 times
You don't think it's hot in Cali in the summertime? It's not the heat alone that's uncomfortable. It's the humidity. Friends and family who visit me in Houston are not used to it. Along with the humidity comes swarms of mosquitoes that coordinate their attack. They are accustom to sitting outdoors at nighttime drinking wine/beer and not being eaten alive.

So go ahead a rave on about how "perfect" Houston weather is from November to May. Just your opinion and I respect that. Not going to convince me though.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:50 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,346,689 times
Quote:
You don't think it's hot in Cali in the summertime? It's not the heat alone that's uncomfortable. It's the humidity. Friends and family who visit me in Houston are not used to it. Along with the humidity comes swarms of mosquitoes that coordinate their attack. They are accustom to sitting outdoors at nighttime drinking wine/beer and not being eaten alive.

So go ahead a rave on about how "perfect" Houston weather is from November to May. Just your opinion and I respect that. Not going to convince me though.
The mosquitoes are barely out from November to April, and for when they are around, they invented this little spray called insect repellent. You may have heard of it.

Like I said, you seem to be in the minority of people who don't think the weather is nice this time of the year.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:55 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
Quote:

Night temps in early March and in November in Houston can get as low as the upper 40s. Mosquitoes and other bugs are not out in that type of weather during those conditions. Heck, they are barely out when the temps are in the 60s. You're reaching here.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:29 PM

385 posts, read 968,320 times
The humidity is good for the skin and slows the aging process. We'll look better longer. And my lips almost never get chapped.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:42 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,846,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebor79 View Post
The humidity is good for the skin and slows the aging process. We'll look better longer. And my lips almost never get chapped.
It doesn't slow the aging process, but the high humidity does make people here look younger. I'd say about 10 years or so.

My dad is 60, but he looks like he is 50 at the oldest. My grandmother is 75 but she could easily pass for 65.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:25 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,421,476 times
Um, excuse me, but did I loose the thread here. It was starting to sound like a thread by a young guy from Houston who hates Houston and yearns after LA would as his ideal. Is that right? That's a bit different from what I was expecting from the original post.

I spent a lot of time in LA in my teenage years, as well as a fair amount since. I like it a lot, but like so many other places, it is less nice if you don't have money enough to live near the coast. I.e., hot and junky, with a lot of crime.

Houston isn't so great, certainly if one can't afford to live in one of the nice areas.

For me, the bottom line is that one has to be able to afford the nice places wherever one is. Having year-round good scenery & weather, plus a nice house, costs a lot close to the Pacific coast. If one is willing to compromise on any of those, it will be less expensive, but still not cheap.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:54 PM

1,011 posts, read 977,518 times
Reaching? I got bit by a skeeter in upper 40s temps in January on my 4th floor rooftop deck. This must not be Houston, Tx. Barely out when temps in the 60s? Now I've heard it all. Go sit outside in your backyard around 6-8pm and report back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston