Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 05:35 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,425,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsully5 View Post
This post concerns me. We are thinking of relocating to the Houston Burbs, and have children with asthma. Would this be a bad move if air quality is that POOR?
You'll be fine. The original poster's post was just one-sided. My sister has asthma (was a premature baby), and has had no problems.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:59 PM

2,931 posts, read 5,280,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddieClaire View Post
May I ask what brought you to Houston? Was it your career?
Are you happy you moved to Houston?
I currently live in Denver and am relocating to Houston in January. It would be nice talking with someone who already made the move.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Well it was really alot of things. I had been in Colorado for over 22 years. I'm 27 now. I felt it was time for a change. Most of my extended family live here and my Dad moved back to Houston not too long ago. Plus I had a girlfriend down here and was tired of the long distance thing.

Don't get me wrong, Colorado is great with the natural beauty, clean air, and other things. It's not a perfect place and I was also starting to get tired of the cold. I'm also in a point in my life where diversity and seeing different types of people and culture mean alot to me. Not to offend anyone but you mainly see one race majority of the time in CO. I'm african american and appreciate seeing more of my own race and different races too.

The Shopping in Houston kills anything in Colorado because there's different types of people in Houston to cater styles to. I also bought in to the "cheaper to live" thing but come to find out that the energy bills in are more than ridiculous.

I had just graduated college so i can't say i moved for carreer reasons. I probably won't be in Houston forever but right now, I think its right for me. Hopefully, your move will be smooth. PM me if you need any more details.

C2H
(Coming to Houston)

Old 11-26-2007, 07:57 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,448,823 times
I have lived in the area for a little over a year now and love it. Sure it's not perfect (crime, traffic, pollution) but what place is? The people are friendly (for the most part) and there is plenty of things to do, what more can you ask for?

Old 11-26-2007, 08:36 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,585,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SondraElmore View Post
We moved from Florida to Katy (Cinco Ranch) in January. I made it 6 months before I moved back to Florida. As it turns out my husband couldn't get a transfer back to Florida, so we decided we'd have to move back but this time chose to go way north of Houston, near Tomball. My husband isn't thrilled with the traffic, but the people here are so much nicer. Our experience in Katy wasn't pleasant. Most of our neighbors didn't speak, the teenagers we encountered in my daughter's schools were disrespectful and several bragged about which probation officer they had - keep in mind these were kids from very wealthy families. One particular incident, a group of these kids stole a car and were arrested. One child had the harsh punishment of no cell phone for 5 days! There was another girl whose parents traveled on business for weeks at a time leaving her home alone in her big, fancy house.

Our other daughter went to one of those exemplary (sp?) elementary schools. Keep in mind she was nervous, and we were told the day we signed up that she'd better adjust to "the Katy way" or get left behind. When we inquired about the bus, we were told she'd have to figure out where her bus was on her own. That was when we discovered that home schooling was an okay option.

What can I say, Cinco Ranch looks lovely. The homes are all kept up, but it was not as family-friendly as advertised.
To bad you didn't choose North Katy, I'm sure you would have probably felt more welcomed, your daughter wouldn't have had to endure the "better adjust comment", bus route and pick up would have been outlined (although I can't fathom why the school wouldn't let you know this tidbit of necessary information). I hope things work out for you and the family however

Old 11-27-2007, 06:32 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,735,529 times
Quote:
This post concerns me. We are thinking of relocating to the Houston Burbs, and have children with asthma. Would this be a bad move if air quality is that POOR?

I grew up on the SW side and my mother developed asthma out of the blue when I was about 10 years old. Who knows what caused it? She thinks it was the heavy oak pollens in April. But it was minor and has been under control. My siblings and I had no trouble, though.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:57 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,218,384 times
Quote:
You will be fine. I live on the southern side of Houston only thirty minutes from the refineries in Texas City and haven't noticed poor air quality or air that smells like dog poop. The poster was exagerating. We moved here a year ago and love it. Yes the heat and humidity take some getting used to but anyone who moves here should realize that that is what the weather is like.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:44 PM

197 posts, read 262,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
You will be fine. I live on the southern side of Houston only thirty minutes from the refineries in Texas City and haven't noticed poor air quality or air that smells like dog poop. The poster was exagerating. We moved here a year ago and love it. Yes the heat and humidity take some getting used to but anyone who moves here should realize that that is what the weather is like.
I agree. The air on the West side where my family lives now is pretty good. However, my sister did have asthma problems when we lived on the East side but now she doesn't anymore (go figure).

Old 11-29-2007, 09:10 AM

9 posts, read 45,812 times
Default Help

My husband was transferred to TX one month ago. I am still in MN and looking forward to moving--since this morning it was 8 degrees with the threat of 6-7 inches of snow over the weekend. I am nervous reading these posts, with regard to where we should live. Any comments on Cypress?

Old 11-29-2007, 09:27 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,319,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynneinMNsoonTX View Post
My husband was transferred to TX one month ago. I am still in MN and looking forward to moving--since this morning it was 8 degrees with the threat of 6-7 inches of snow over the weekend. I am nervous reading these posts, with regard to where we should live. Any comments on Cypress?
Cypress is in the far NW. About as far away from Refinery Row as you can get.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:57 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,584,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplotz View Post
My wife and I moved here (to Katy, specifically) ...
If I lived in Katy, I would probably have a negative feeling about the Houston area also. Katy is never a good choice in my opinion. Believe it or not, the area in a city you choose to live can really skew your perception of the whole place. Now if you chose an area north of Houston, for example, you probably would feel different. Then again, with the exception of the "air quality", you gave some pretty good reasons for not liking this place.

Still, those of us who like or love Houston are obviously seeing something that isn't apparent to everyone else.

According to a survey reported on by KHOU Channel 11 News, 83% of the residents here are very pleased with this city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston