Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 09:43 PM

9 posts, read 12,258 times

Advertisements

Hey Gang,

I am moving to Houston!

I'll be working just north of the beltway, in between Hardy and the 45. I start October 1st.

The plan is to tow the camper down and stay in it for the first month or two, until the house sells and the rest of the family joins me. We have 2 kids; ages 5 & 3.

Budget is $300k - swimming pool is non-negotiable says the wife.

I've spent the last 10 years rebuilding houses so I am looking for something either quite new or fully renovated. Schools are very important obviously, as well as commute.

Is there a preferred area in Spring? It seems quite large and the housing is a little all over the map. Spring would be a bit closer to work and downtown, not that we'll be going there often.

Kingwood has some great homes and is a little more affordable. How is the traffic going in that direction? It is also close to the lake. Any sailing on lake Houston?

I'd appreciate some advice on where to focus my efforts.

Thanks!
S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 01:59 AM

1,559 posts, read 2,369,924 times
If you move to Spring, make sure you purchase in Montgomery county, Conroe ISD. Kingwood is nice also, but I am not as familiar with it. Both areas are pretty easy commutes so you really can't go wrong with either one.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:10 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
If you move to Spring, make sure you purchase in Montgomery county, Conroe ISD. Kingwood is nice also, but I am not as familiar with it. Both areas are pretty easy commutes so you really can't go wrong with either one.
What about the Klein ISD areas in Harris County? I know Spring ISD is not so attractive.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:37 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,687 times
Lowroller21 I sent you a PM.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
What about the Klein ISD areas in Harris County? I know Spring ISD is not so attractive.
Op was specifically asking about Spring and Kingwood. I also stated to make sure if he move to Spring to make sure it is zoned to CISD.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:19 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
Op was specifically asking about Spring and Kingwood. I also stated to make sure if he move to Spring to make sure it is zoned to CISD.
I am aware the OP asked about Spring and Kingwood. Many areas with Spring, Texas addresses west of I-45 in Harris County are zoned to Klein ISD (Klein Collins High has a Spring, TX address).

Old 08-05-2014, 11:20 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,661 times
$300max and a pool will be tough. Inventory is getting low and in Spring - areas zoned to Klein Oak and Collins high school with a pool and new is now $320+. Shoot many houses I swear that were $350K last year are now $400k.

Klein ISD is good but it's a matter of what high school you're zoned too. If zoned to those two any elementary will be good. Klein High isn't horrible yet but there's much more apartments zoned to it and the lower schools now.

Good luck. Get a move on searching NOW especially wanting brand new and a pool. Check out Houston Real estate, Houston homes, Houston Realtors - HAR.com

Kingwood might be a bit better but the schools are super wonky. Demographics wise it's not one people will tell you to slyly back away from but the school numbers look really puzzling.

EDIT: I did a quick HAR search with your criteria in sections 14 and 15 in Spring and The Woodlands zoned to Conroe. $300k max, private pool and put 2000 and up as "new" and there's just 36 houses on the market.

In Kingwood and Humble sections 1 and 32 on HAR there are 22 houses on the market.

A few pending contracts. The ones that aren't the majority look nice...if you like attach garages, and don't mind small (<2900 is small IMO) etc. But inventory is low the lower the budget. $300k isn't low but with sellers and agents jacking up prices and things flying off the shelves like Walmart shopping during a hurricane it's tough.

I doubt anyone else will be putting up to sell. The school year is about to start and if you have a large house with a pool you wait for people with kids ready to buy and wait until next spring. Kidless aren't jumping to buy 3000sqft with a pool in the suburbs like parents buying in a frenzy between April-August before school
Good luck!

Last edited by DejaBlue; 08-05-2014 at 11:28 AM..

Old 08-05-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
I am aware the OP asked about Spring and Kingwood. Many areas with Spring, Texas addresses west of I-45 in Harris County are zoned to Klein ISD (Klein Collins High has a Spring, TX address).
You are correct, my apologies.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:12 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,731,452 times
35-40 minute commute to that area from Kingwood. If you want a real quick commute check out Fall Creek.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:43 PM

129 posts, read 170,915 times
I vote for Kingwood as far as neighborhoods goes. But drive time also matters. As for the pool, I suggest you just look for a house with a big enough lot for a pool... Otherwise you really cut your options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston