Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 03:15 PM

8 posts, read 37,204 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be coming to TX next week to look at new homes in Spring. In the mean time we have to rely on the internet. We have found some homes we really like by D.R Horton (Northcrest Village). I have heard some bad reviews about other builders and so I'm trying to do my homework. They have no history on the Better Business Bureau and I find nothing with a Google search. Has anyone bought a D.R. Horton home or have any info regarding this builder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 03:59 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Justin & Sara,

DR Horton homes are fine, but be prepared for the same downside that you will find with any of the major builders. When the time comes for you to sell the home you may have trouble getting your money back and it may be on the market for quite a long time. I can't speak to the area you are looking at buying but a large percentage (approaching a third) of the homes in DR Horton's NW Houston construction have had major foundation issues. The houses they build are what is called "30 year construction." These homes are not built to be re-sold in the future, but rather to be torn down and rebuilt. While you are going to pay for the lot and the house when you buy, you will really only be selling the lot when it is time to move on. All that said, the price is certainly hard to argue with. If you are simply buying a home, there is no particular problem with buying a DR Horton house versus any other track house, but if you are making an investment you should look elsewhere.

If you are going to be working in the Spring area then you are on the right track. If you plan on commuting, I think you are going to get very tired of the drive. There are a number of neighborhoods much closer to town that have excellent schools and much shorter commutes to work. The prices will be higher, but in many cases not prohibitively so. It will take a lot of legwork to find the right house at the right price in the right place, but it will make your life much easier if and when you decide to move.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:05 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Good quality about the same as Village. But I agree they're hard to resale when the same model is for sale brand spanking new a few blocks or one subdivision away. Everyone wants bright,shiney and new in the tract communites.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:34 PM

8 posts, read 37,204 times
Thank You for the helpful info jimboburnsy! We are pretty sure that Spring and The Woodlands is where we want to be. We will find out for sure when we come to visit next week. We have friends who live in the area, I will be staying home with children and my husband is a personal banker and will be able to work in the town (or near by) where we live. I'm not worried about making a huge profit on a home when it is time to sell but i definitely don't want to have huge resale issues. Thanks for the heads up....anyone else feel this way?

Old 01-30-2008, 04:54 PM

410 posts, read 1,676,223 times
My friend has had a real bad experience with her Horton home- a nightmare actually.
I would say to know what you are doing go to homeowners against deficient dwellings and homeowners for better building. If you are going to buy new there is excellent advise on both sites. Questions to ask, what to look for and look out for.
Good luck!

Old 01-30-2008, 05:35 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,738,039 times
DR Horton has a bad reputation but I cant say anything from personal experience.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:38 PM

799 posts, read 3,694,285 times
I have a friend who bought a DR Horton and she is happy with it. My nephew also has one in The Woodlands/Spring area and is happy with it.You can find unhappy customers of any builder, just be sure to get your home inspected by your own inspector and have then fix everything.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:52 PM

410 posts, read 1,676,223 times
You can good inspectors under the ashri website.
You may want to get your home inspected BEFORE you close. If there are defects and or code violations etc. get them fixed and reinspected before closing.
Just know you cannot sue most builders and also do your homework on TRCC-Texas Residential Construction Commission
Once you do close it is a whole new ballgame and good luck to ya!!!!

Old 01-30-2008, 05:53 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times
Check out these sites first:

Construction Defect Help - Homeowners Against Deficient Dwellings

HomeOwners for Better Building - Home

Ripoff Report: By Consumers, For Consumers

Old 01-30-2008, 06:03 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,807 times
we have built a home with DR Horton and have been happy w/it. We were at the homesite pretty frequently and they were very accommodating when we wanted a few cosmetic things done differently. They do a lot of things like arches, niches, crown moulding as standard that all other builders consider upgrades. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston