Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 05:30 PM

492 posts, read 487,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
Just to warn you a lot of people that aren't from Galveston have a very negative view of the island including myself.
Negative view in what sense?? cost? safety? people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 05:32 PM

492 posts, read 487,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
Prices will be a bit high on Galveston, but are more reasonable in the cities a few miles closer to Houston, like Texas City or La Marque. The price difference is like $100 a night or more vs Galveston. So that is probably your best option for something reasonably priced at a real hotel.

My daughter interviewed for the med school last year and she was able to stay with a current student for $25, otherwise we would have paid for her to stay at a hotel in La Marque or Texas City.

Good luck on your interview!

Thanks,
I was looking at AirBNb. One of the medical residents has advertised for $45 a night. Actually I have never used AirBNB or any such thing s living in private house before.
I need to be very near to UTMB...dont want to drive/ run around on the morning of the interview. Going for a fellowship interview.

Old 02-27-2016, 05:32 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
Just to warn you a lot of people that aren't from Galveston have a very negative view of the island including myself.
Mostly I agree with this. There are some wonderful things on the island, and some even more wonderful places to live if you are wealthy, but there is an above average amount of sketchiness there, too.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:58 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
There are great things going on , on the Island these days,

"The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston celebrated the completion of its new hospital Friday, a final step in an extraordinary recovery from the destruction wrought by Hurricane Ike some 7 1/2 years ago.

Officials dedicated the Jennie Sealy Hospital, a $438 million, 310-bed facility specially designed to withstand "anything the Gulf of Mexico can throw at it," said Dr. David Callender, UTMB's president. The new facility, four years in the making, connects with and will complement John Sealy Hospital, which opened in 1978 and will soon undergo a multimillion-dollar renovation."

UTMB celebrates new hospital in Galveston - Houston Chronicle

Some people will bash the esthetics of the beach and sketchiness of some of the neighborhoods but Galveston has a lot of historical charm and resort amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston