Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 10:46 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,727,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcatheart View Post
Well tell you what. I'm Asian and I agree with Pedro 100%.
That's fine. I don't think that minorities are immune from the effects of white racist discourse--it damages everyone, even the whites who propagate it without realizing what they're doing. There are African-Americans who believe racist things about themselves and internalize them. One's skin color does not determine their ability to challenge or combat racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 10:50 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,043,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
I'll bet a toe that he's white. Pedro Martinez is a famous baseball pitcher and perhaps for that reason a handy tag in forums. My name is not jerbear, either, btw.
At least you aren't even trying to hide your bigotry or racism anymore.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:06 AM

614 posts, read 1,238,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
That's fine. I don't think that minorities are immune from the effects of white racist discourse--it damages everyone, even the whites who propagate it without realizing what they're doing. There are African-Americans who believe racist things about themselves and internalize them. One's skin color does not determine their ability to challenge or combat racism.
So you're saying the 'white man' is the devil and he's all so powerful to be able to influence the minds of all races and bend them to his will?

Old 09-23-2016, 11:39 AM

50,385 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Can we all just agree that it is just human nature to vote for people who you feel share your experiences and culture? I am a WASP republican, and I vote for people who share my views and values. I dont feel the need to apologize for it.

We have a certain alderman where I live who, when facing a vote on a beekeeping ordinance, suggested that nets be placed around the hives to confine them to their own yard. This kind of genius does not go unrewarded because she keeps getting reelected by her supporters.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:40 PM

418 posts, read 742,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30
I'll bet a toe that he's white. Pedro Martinez is a famous baseball pitcher and perhaps for that reason a handy tag in forums. My name is not jerbear, either, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
At least you aren't even trying to hide your bigotry or racism anymore.

And this man is responsible for teaching our children. God help them.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossa View Post
And this man is responsible for teaching our children. God help them.
He's not responsible for teaching my children, that's for sure.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:19 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,094,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Can we all just agree that it is just human nature to vote for people who you feel share your experiences and culture? I am a WASP republican, and I vote for people who share my views and values. I dont feel the need to apologize for it.

We have a certain alderman where I live who, when facing a vote on a beekeeping ordinance, suggested that nets be placed around the hives to confine them to their own yard. This kind of genius does not go unrewarded because she keeps getting reelected by her supporters.
This might be the very first post in this way too long thread that I actually agree with. Well said Sir/Madam.

Old 09-23-2016, 04:06 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,003,879 times
Maybe the question should be "Why are some people so obsessed and concerned with Sheila Jackson Lee?

You know, if you don't pay attention to her, her existence can essentially fade into obscurity. She can become invisible if she is ignored. Maybe the real problems are that some people 1) don't have enough useful things to focus on without bitching and griping, and 2) they actually enjoy getting upset about her. This is more of a personal problem than anything else.

Old 09-23-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
Maybe the question should be "Why are some people so obsessed and concerned with Sheila Jackson Lee?

You know, if you don't pay attention to her, her existence can essentially fade into obscurity. She can become invisible if she is ignored. Maybe the real problems are that some people 1) don't have enough useful things to focus on without bitching and griping, and 2) they actually enjoy getting upset about her. This is more of a personal problem than anything else.
She represents my state, she pushes legislation that could affect me and my family and she is an embarrassment to anyone living in Texas, much less the Houston area. She won't fade into obscurity until she's replaced, but you can bet that her replacement will likely be a moron just like she is.

Old 09-23-2016, 04:29 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,795,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcatheart View Post
So you're saying the 'white man' is the devil and he's all so powerful to be able to influence the minds of all races and bend them to his will?
Well, power and influence do come with majority status. Whites still constitute most of our nation's population, even though many of them have chosen to believe they are some marginalized group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston