Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 12:41 PM

24,005 posts, read 15,100,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
YaF,R?

<G>
Be ashamed of yourself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 12:50 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,094,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Write your Texas reps and Federal congressmen to stop with the gerrymandering. Make the districts semi in the same area.

IMO, it would go a long way to getting rid of the severe partisanship we all have to live with.

I have not had a congressman give a damn about my opinion since Bob Eckhardt lived down the street. They only care about their own voters. Except Bill Archer.
Not to be a naysayer, but this approach strikes me as somewhat naive. Politicians (especially at the federal level) won't do a thing to jeopardize their lock on a cushy job like theirs. Pretty sure I read somewhere that most incumbent politicians easily cruise to reelection on name recognition alone.

Perhaps a better approach would be to build a grassroots effort to get a redistricting committee established for the state of Texas. If a measure like that could get on the ballot state-wide, and pass, that would be a big piece of the puzzle for fixing our broken political system.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:30 PM

24,005 posts, read 15,100,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
Not to be a naysayer, but this approach strikes me as somewhat naive. Politicians (especially at the federal level) won't do a thing to jeopardize their lock on a cushy job like theirs. Pretty sure I read somewhere that most incumbent politicians easily cruise to reelection on name recognition alone.

Perhaps a better approach would be to build a grassroots effort to get a redistricting committee established for the state of Texas. If a measure like that could get on the ballot state-wide, and pass, that would be a big piece of the puzzle for fixing our broken political system.
Common Cause, a group at Columbia and several more groups have been working on this for a while. We need let our reps know we care about it.

The mess left over from the last one brought to you by Tom Delay led to the court case, that caused the election delay, that gave us Cruz. We need to let them know we are watching.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:26 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,225,138 times
I cant stand Ted Cruz either and im a republican.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:38 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
How is someone on here supposed to know that?
It's a common abbreviation on every message board I have been on and they are common in texts as well.

DH - dear (or damn) husband
DW - dear (or damn) wife (also can mean don't worry)
DD - dear daughter
DS - dear son

The Largest List of Chat Acronyms and Text Message Shorthand (IM, SMS) found of the Web - updated daily by NetLingo The Internet Dictionary: Online Dictionary of Internet Terms, Acronyms, Text Messaging, Smileys ;-)

Old 09-15-2016, 02:46 PM

100 posts, read 129,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
It's a common abbreviation on every message board I have been on and they are common in texts as well.

DH - dear (or damn) husband
DW - dear (or damn) wife (also can mean don't worry)
DD - dear daughter
DS - dear son

The Largest List of Chat Acronyms and Text Message Shorthand (IM, SMS) found of the Web - updated daily by NetLingo The Internet Dictionary: Online Dictionary of Internet Terms, Acronyms, Text Messaging, Smileys ;-)
Wow I've never heard of any of these and I've been on various internet message boards along time! SMDH

Kind reminds me of how Grandmas think LOL means: "Lots of love"

Old 09-16-2016, 06:52 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Quote:
I cant stand Ted Cruz either and im a republican.
As a Christian conservative, I feel he injects too much church in his politics, but other than that, I like him.

Outside of the religious aspects, what do you not like about him?

Old 09-16-2016, 08:35 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,225,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
As a Christian conservative, I feel he injects too much church in his politics, but other than that, I like him.

Outside of the religious aspects, what do you not like about him?

Their is nothing else for me other then he is a total bible beater. but this thread is about sheila jackson lee.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:12 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Quote:
Their is nothing else for me other then he is a total bible beater. but this thread is about sheila jackson lee.
Fair enough if you don't like his injection of religion.

BTW, you brought Cruz into this.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:56 AM

614 posts, read 1,238,209 times
Have a friend who used to own a BBQ joint. She used to come in there and always expected her meal to be free. Geez, as much as she makes, she still expects free meals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston