Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2017, 02:53 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,140,569 times

Advertisements

I may be enrolling my older daughter in the Crossroads school this fall. The school is located near Westheimer and Fountain view.

I have a younger daughter that I need to find a good elementary school for. She will be entering 2nd grade in the fall. So renting a house or apartment or even possibly buying a house for the right price in a neighborhood zoned to a good school in that area is crucial. I'm not that familiar with the various neighborhoods or good schools in that area of town. I know Tangkewood is expensive, as is the galleria area in general. I was looking at Briarcroft and that area possibly. I most likely need to have school bus transportation to one school so I can get the other kiddo to their school on time.

Not sure if the budget at this time. Right now I will look for areas that fit these criteria, then will work on budget.

Thank in advance for suggestions!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 03:03 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,943,769 times
Briargrove Elementary, I believe, has a decent reputation - which is why it was the primary focus of debate around the formerly proposed public housing on Fountainview, which would have been in its attendance zone. There's a large variety of housing zoned to that school, from older apartments, to newer apartments, to townhomes and patio homes (mostly 1970s-80s), to 1950s-60s single family that is well-kept and not cheap.

Old 04-28-2017, 03:26 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
Briargrove is rated good , but comparatively lesser than you expect of a good school in terms of ratings . You also have TH Rogers in that area. Its one of the top rated schools in the country which has K-12. But getting in is very difficult. There is a new school called Mark White which offers French as well, but its in 77063.

One advantage in HISD is that you could go to any school due to the vanguard and magnet programs, so you are free to choose your residence based on that.

A small area in between San Felipe and Westheimer along VOSS road has some really beautiful houses and a quiet park also.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:34 PM

I would like to do a Vanguard program or the like for her, but at the moment I'm totally clueless how to get her into a program like that,or even a magnet school. She can thrive anywhere, but has the potential to do well in gifted program, so would like a school that could push her a little. On her last assessment, her developed ability score (the age at which she has the ability to learn) is that if an 11year old...and she just turned 7. She's currently doing some advanced work in her current classes and I would like for that to continue.

So thank you for the recommendations. I've heard of Briargrove and TH rogers from this forum. Would love other options as well if there are any. I was also considering trying. To get into Oak Forest and get zoned to that elementary as well, as I would prefer to live there than the galleria area. Not sure of the commute time to school though.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:59 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times
You do not have to change your residence to qualify for magnet programs which take students from all over the city. School Choice / Applying to Magnet Programs is a page that is about the process, and http://www.houstonisd.org/cms/lib2/T...s_accepted.pdf shows acceptance rates for various schools.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:28 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times
It might be too late to successfully apply for magnet transfers - notices went out on March 23, and they will be working through the waiting lists now. More info at School Choice / Magnet Program Status

Old 04-28-2017, 09:10 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,738,039 times
Oak Forest is almost full so very hard to get in via lottery. You would need to buy/rent a zoned house to get a spot.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
You do not have to change your residence to qualify for magnet programs which take students from all over the city. School Choice / Applying to Magnet Programs is a page that is about the process, and http://www.houstonisd.org/cms/lib2/T...s_accepted.pdf shows acceptance rates for various schools.
But I do since we currently live in Europe and are moving specifically for my older daughter to go to a LD school. We are in the process of checking various schools out for her, and in the process I also have to look for schools for my younger child. So I am basically looking for good places to live that are zoned to good schools somewhat near the particular LD schools I'm interviewing.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Oak Forest is almost full so very hard to get in via lottery. You would need to buy/rent a zoned house to get a spot.
Yep, and that's my intention if we go that route.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:36 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
But I do since we currently live in Europe and are moving specifically for my older daughter to go to a LD school. We are in the process of checking various schools out for her, and in the process I also have to look for schools for my younger child. So I am basically looking for good places to live that are zoned to good schools somewhat near the particular LD schools I'm interviewing.
In HISD, here are some possibilities inside Beltway 8:
  • Near North: Travis Elementary (Woodland Heights) and Harvard Elementary (Houston Heights) - Helms in the Heights has a bilingual program
  • Garden Oaks/Oak Forest: Garden Oaks (Garden Oaks) which has Montessori and Oak Forest (Oak Forest)
  • Southwest outside 610: Jennie Kolter (Meyerland), Herod (near Meyerland), Lovett (Meyerland), Red (Willow Meadows/Willowbend), Condit (Bellaire)
  • Southwest inside 610: Horn (Bellaire), West University (West University Place), Roberts (Southgate), Twain (Braeswood Place), Poe (Boulevard Oaks).
  • Galleria/Uptown: Briargrove Elementary (Briargrove) and St. George Place Elementary (St. George Place)
  • Central: River Oaks (magnet program would be the way to go, unless you are okay with paying a lot for a house/condo)

Outside Beltway 8 the fave elementary is Barbara Bush, but I am not sure if you want to live that far out...

If you like Montessori programs I know Wilson in Montrose has Montessori. If you move into the Wilson zone but don't want Montessori, the Wilson school will arrange a transfer as everyone there does Montessori. Wharton (also Montrose) does English-Spanish bilingual.

BTW this may be a minor point to you, but since you re coming from Europe, I will tell you that most HISD schools require uniforms. Under Texas state law the parent has the right to opt out of a uniform policy of a public school for bona fide philosophical or religious reasons. I don't know exactly how this works at the elementary level (whether the school just lets the child be opted out or whether they offer a transfer to a campus without uniforms, or whether both possibilities are considered).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston