Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 01:59 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston.Texas View Post
I sure wish Houston would be next for anti-gentrification protest... Im not against gentrification if I was I believe that would mean I am for segregation........ Which I am not however, I do not want to be put out out of my new home because they are building $269,000 townhomes in my backyard and the rising property are simply too much for my landlord to pay (literally what im going through as of now)...... well I guess I am against gentrification with that said, Independence Heights is a colored mans neighborhood simple as that STAY OUT! Sorry not racist but I would like to stay in my home and not be forced out! I would like to continue to live in the city of Houston and not be pushed out of beltway 8 to the suburbs. Who is with me ????
We'll say that I might have been one of the people you're telling to stay out. But really I don't care to pay what developers in Houston want for fugly townhomes that don't even look like they should be where they are, to live in a city where I still have to drive everywhere, that has so-called "500-year-floods" on a regular basis, and has no particular commitment to anything besides building more and exacerbating that effect.

Can I come by and visit, at least?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 02:02 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,053,003 times
This is always a difficult debate I see both sides of every day. I grew up in Third Ward and many of my old friends and neighbors are being pushed further out. It's sad to see, but the reality of economics is what it is. Like it or not, land is used as a means of wealth-building in this society - we don't have land tenure as some other societies do. My mother already has a contingency plan in place for when they inevitably come to buy out her Med Center-area property at some point in the future.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:06 PM

23 posts, read 27,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
We'll say that I might have been one of the people you're telling to stay out. But really I don't care to pay what developers in Houston want for fugly townhomes that don't even look like they should be where they are, to live in a city where I still have to drive everywhere, that has so-called "500-year-floods" on a regular basis, and has no particular commitment to anything besides building more and exacerbating that effect.

Hehe Trust me I dont think you want to visit you might want to visit Garden Oaks instead..... Its ok I would like to see the looks on the peoples faces after they buy their $269,000 town home only to hear gunshots ringing up Tulane street

Old 03-05-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Hehe Trust me I dont think you want to visit you might want to visit Garden Oaks instead..... Its ok I would like to see the looks on the peoples faces after they buy their $269,000 town home only to hear gunshots ringing up Tulane street
Ha.

I lived just outside the city limits southwest of Detroit up for about a year, ending a few months ago. These kids think they've been to the hood.

And even there, this same debate is a thing.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:12 PM

23 posts, read 27,590 times
Quote:

Quote:
Ha.

I lived just outside the city limits southwest of Detroit up for about a year, ending a few months ago. These kids think they've been to the hood.

And even there, this same debate is a thing.
lol reminds me of the Aleif or FM 1960 kids here

Old 03-05-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
lol reminds me of the Aleif or FM 1960 kids here
I saw stuff that makes FM 1960 and Kuykendahl look like Cinco Ranch.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:06 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,154,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Hard to call it screwing a poor person when the poor person buys a house & lot for $25,000 and sells it for $250,000

If they didn't want to leave, sure its unfortunate for them, but getting screwed by making more in the sale of their property than they will in 10 years? No - that isn't getting screwed.
I'm sure most of them don't want to leave. Even if they did make that much profit, which I doubt many of them would, now they have to move outside the city.

It's the renters who are getting screwed big time, and then the small business owners.

Last edited by Mr. Krinkle; 03-05-2018 at 03:14 PM..

Old 03-05-2018, 03:43 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
I sure wish Houston would be next for anti-gentrification protest... Im not against gentrification if I was I believe that would mean I am for segregation........ Which I am not however, I do not want to be put out out of my new home because they are building $269,000 townhomes in my backyard and the rising property are simply too much for my landlord to pay (literally what im going through as of now)...... well I guess I am against gentrification with that said, Independence Heights is a colored mans neighborhood simple as that STAY OUT! Sorry not racist but I would like to stay in my home and not be forced out! I would like to continue to live in the city of Houston and not be pushed out of beltway 8 to the suburbs. Who is with me ????

Are we really supposed to stop gentrification and create ghetto reservations in these "select" neighborhoods ? Who selects which hoods are open for gentrification and which are reserved for rent control and generational squalor ?

Old 03-06-2018, 08:22 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,568,183 times
What people forget about gentrification is this: Where do you think the former poor folks are going to go: They'll show up in River Oaks or the suburbs and jack up the crime in those areas. Unlike other Houston hoods, Acres Homes has managed to escape gentrification, but I don't know for how much longer. It's proximity to 290, 249, 45 & 610 is on developer's radar. Everyone wants gentrification to happen until the ghetto residents come to Sugar Land, River Oaks, Houston Heights, Galleria Area, etc.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:41 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,832 times
I disagree, AcresHomes. People leaving gentrifying neighborhoods due to rising home costs are not going to land in River Oaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston