Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 12:18 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,568,977 times

Advertisements

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/edito...721-story.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Privileged white people won't ever understand our struggles. I hope they don't ruin Third Ward.
For decades it's this disinvested part of town, then investment comes and it's colonization.

What is your idea as to how to prevent this "ruin?"

You've been around long here enough to see me on here telling the Ashby high rise handwringers and the Afton Oaks/Richmond light rail NIMBYs to stow it too. Third Ward is part of the same fast-growing, fast-changing city.

Last edited by jfre81; 03-08-2018 at 01:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 03:24 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,305,438 times
From what I see around UH, many blacks are part of the forefront of the change. The whole racial argument is sort of a moot point.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:40 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,243,872 times
Quote:
Privileged white people won't ever understand our struggles. I hope they don't ruin Third Ward.
Hint: they don’t care to because you’ve never given them one good reason.

You know there are places in the world you can move to where there are zero white people, which means you won’t ever have to deal with the problems and struggles and oppression they constantly bring you here. Why don’t you do that and let us all know how it all works out for you?

Old 03-08-2018, 07:59 AM

158 posts, read 181,924 times
Quote:
Care to expand? I'm white, so I guess I don't understand. I didn't grow up in Houston. I grew up in Texas City. There it was basically the North Side of town (more wealthy) and the south side of town (more poor). I lived on the south side of town. Every so often, business would close on the south side and everyone would say "what a shame" and would be upset it happened. There would be crime, and people would be upset.

But no one would ever do anything about it. No one would start a business to spur the economy. No one would report crimes to the police. Everything was as is. It's still that way there for the most part (mom still lives there). We just kept our house up and tried to keep our portion nice.

How can we make the third ward better, but not increase the cost of living? Nothing comes free. If any development happens there, prices go up and some people will be put out. It's economics. You can't control prices just because someone has been somewhere for a while. Can you? Is that the plan? Or would it be better to just keep it as is, and let everything essentially waste away?

Old 03-08-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K LoLo View Post
I grew up in Texas City. There it was basically the North Side of town (more wealthy) and the south side of town (more poor).
Don't know how old you are, but maybe you remember when there were still a fair amount of people living south of Texas Avenue, when the plants (from a TC native to another, we don't call them "refineries," that's too many syllables and we can't read or spell that word anyway) were buying out homeowners to create a buffer between the plants and the rest of the city. I guess that wasn't "gentrification" because it wasn't to put a hipster coffeehouse there instead. Most of it is vacant or paved over.

People in that town resist change like anything else, and it's largely been passed over in the boomtown growth of the region at large for its isolation.

My favorite Texas Citian hair-pulling moment?

"OMGdon't tear down our old, crumbling, moldy schools!"

"THAT WAS OUR CHILDHOOD!"

"Never mind the fact that my kids are in their late 30s now, moved to Pearland 15 years ago and send their kids to Pearland schools now because TC's a dump, it's about me! Never mind the fact that I live in Pearland too and only go to TC to fish! Never mind the fact that I haven't walked into any of those buildings in 30 years and would scarcely recognize it inside if I did! It's so sad to see the town get competitive facilities so the next generation doesn't leave for Pearland too!"

Whoops, our bad. We were supposed to leave the garbage they left behind sitting around until it falls into the ground.

Really it's just as unreasonable as "we want to complain about our neighborhood being neglected, about being a food desert, about not having any sort of opportunity, but now that it's getting investment we're going to protest!"

Here, let's just designate this crack house and strip mall with a check cashing outfit "historic" to protect your neighborhood. Done.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:38 AM

4 posts, read 2,887 times
The generalizations in this thread are disgusting.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyTee View Post
The generalizations in this thread are disgusting.
You just joined city-data and have four posts. Keep reading more threads. It gets much, much worse.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:50 AM

509 posts, read 736,098 times
Nothing is ever good enough for the professional victim class. When affluent people move out of an area, liberals complain about white flight, parasitical suburbs, crumbling tax bases, etc. Then, when more affluent people move back into those areas, liberals start shrieking about gentrification. No matter what is actually happening, you will have deranged activists screaming about being victimized. They will always be miserable and unsuccessful because they expend all of their energy looking for others to blame, rather than looking for examples to follow that will allow them to better their circumstances.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:51 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,790,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston parent View Post
Nothing is ever good enough for the professional victim class. When affluent people move out of an area, liberals complain about white flight, parasitical suburbs, crumbling tax bases, etc. Then, when more affluent people move back into those areas, liberals start shrieking about gentrification. No matter what is actually happening, you will have deranged activists screaming about being victimized. They will always be miserable and unsuccessful because they expend all of their energy looking for others to blame, rather than looking for examples to follow that will allow them to better their circumstances.
Lord. LOL.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Lord. LOL.
Boyle Heights anti-gentrification activists hurt their cause by making it about race, rather than economics

Puts it a little more constructively.

Quote:
For instance, the demonstrators at the coffee shop have passed out fliers calling it "White Wave" Coffee Brewers (although one of the owners is Latino). Another sign at the demonstrations mentioned the Ku Klux Klan and others made derogatory (and obscene) use of the word "white." The unfortunate decision to frame the gentrification debate in racial terms was made early on. A profanity about "white art" was scrawled on one of the art galleries targeted by the protesters. Latinos who defended the galleries or the coffee shop were derided as "coconuts." (Brown on outside, white on the inside.)

What does any of this accomplish besides reinforce prejudices?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston