Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 02:00 PM

65 posts, read 63,193 times

Advertisements

Just in case, if i were to spend my money on a EZTag and/or TXTag, how much do they cost compared to paying for tollways with out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 04:37 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
The TXTag is free. It costs nothing beyond the tolls. However if you want to pay cash you're confined to the Hardy and Sam Houston toll roads, as the Ft. Bend County, Grand Parkway and Westpark Tollways are tag only. Also the Katy Freeway managed lanes are tag only, or HOV.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:25 PM

15,440 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
The TXTag is free. It costs nothing beyond the tolls. However if you want to pay cash you're confined to the Hardy and Sam Houston toll roads, as the Ft. Bend County, Grand Parkway and Westpark Tollways are tag only. Also the Katy Freeway managed lanes are tag only, or HOV.
Hardy is tag only now. No cash.

TxTag is the choice. Free tag. HCTRA EZTag is $20 for the tag.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:48 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,140,569 times
Usually may pay for the tag ( small amount) depending on the type of tag, and then usually you keep a balance on it that tolls deduct from when you go through. So I have a tag, and have $20 on the account, so when I go through enough tolls to equal $20, then I put another $20 on the account. Sometimes it takes me many months to get to $20 worth of tolls, other times not as long - just depends on where I’m driving.

I would not live in houston without a toll tag.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:38 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Hardy is tag only now. No cash.

TxTag is the choice. Free tag. HCTRA EZTag is $20 for the tag.
It's $15 for an HCTRA EZTag. Agree, TxTag is the winner for free.

Old 11-01-2018, 05:30 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,140,569 times
Whoever messaged me saying that I’m ridiculous from my answer above - how so? I drive more toll roads in the DFW area than I do here, so I have a Dallas TollTag in my car. It’s basically the same thing as a TxTag getting it activated, and pays the same toll rates as the EZTag.

I live inside the beltway here, so don’t use it all that often to get around.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/tran...-early-october

https://www.khou.com/mobile/article/...19871754731652

Again, living in Houstin I would have one on my car because there are a few Toll roads that are now Tag only - meaning you can’t pay cash anywhere along them.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:30 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Well if you're ridiculous, add me to the list. You can't function properly without frustration in Houston without a toll tag, regardless of flavor.

Old 11-02-2018, 05:21 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,565,213 times
Side question. You used to get a discount for using the EZ Tag instead of cash. Do you get that same discount if you have the NTTA tag or the TX tag? I thought I recalled being billed full price when I used my EZ Tag in austin? Am I misremembering?

I'd think it's better to have the local tag whether you're in Houston, Central Texas, or DFW if only for the airport use. I always used my EZ Tag at IAH for parking. It was convenient to just drive right out.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:26 PM

15,440 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
Side question. You used to get a discount for using the EZ Tag instead of cash. Do you get that same discount if you have the NTTA tag or the TX tag? I thought I recalled being billed full price when I used my EZ Tag in austin? Am I misremembering?

I'd think it's better to have the local tag whether you're in Houston, Central Texas, or DFW if only for the airport use. I always used my EZ Tag at IAH for parking. It was convenient to just drive right out.
You get the discounts with the TxTag, although so many of the toll roads around Houston are tag only now, it doesn't really matter.

Tags do not work for IAH parking any longer.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:37 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Tags do not work for IAH parking any longer.
I thought that was a cool benefit. They should look into it again. At the time, the COH said the costs were too high to justify keeping it. That was several years ago. Maybe now, with the number of Tag users exponentially higher, and most electronic processing costs down, it could be viable again.

Our condo parking garage uses the tags to open the gates when you drive up. Both TxTag and EZTag work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston