Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 06:06 PM

169 posts, read 161,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
No offense. But this comment shows how uneducated you are about this topic. World Cup games are mainly played in NFL stadiums and the NRG Stadium has experience hosting multiple international tournaments like the Copa America Centenario (the semifinals actually)
I’m uneducated in this topic? Really? Lol. World Cup games are played in NFL stadiums? So all the world cups from 1998-2018 were played in NFL stadiums? The last World Cup the US hosted in 94 was played in NFL stadiums for a reason. How many soccer specific stadiums existed in the United States in 1994? The MLS didn’t even exist back then.

Get real bruh

Copa America isn’t even on the same level with Euro and your trying to compare it to the World Cup lmao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 06:11 PM

169 posts, read 161,376 times
Quote:
People don’t need to turn this thread into another HOU vs DFW thread. There’s a good chance both will get one.

And people are talking about a lot of soccer matches hosted and you guys are missing the most important we hosted not too long ago. The Copa America is one of the most prestigious international soccer competitions ever.
Copa America isn’t prestigious for s—t. It may be prestigious for you since your a South American but in reality the UEFA champions league is more prestigious than your Copa America

Shows how uneducated you are about world football

Old 01-30-2019, 09:56 PM

4,753 posts, read 2,994,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Its a tale of two events. Dallas did very well and received high praise for the NBA All Star game because getting around Dallas (if you dont have to leave it) is even easier than getting around in Houston. However, with the Super Bowl, getting to Arlington in the snow and having events scattered all over the place really hurt it.

In the end, it was all about proximity. Arlington sucks for everything except buying a house and Vietnamese food. There isnt much to do there and that was especially true in 2011. Having an event there didnt showcase the best DFW had to offer. But the All Star Game is right off the DART rail and there tons of bars and clubs that are walkable from the AA Center. If only Jerry would have built the Cowboys stadium downtown that would have been amazing.
Luckily for Houston, both types of events work really well. The last NBA All Star game in Houston (2013) was also a big success due to how close everything was. Most of the events and parties were in and around the inner loop, with a few events in the Southwest side. I lived through that Super Bowl week in DFW back in 2011. Outside of the weather, everything was too spread out. Events in Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington, Irving, and I think even Plano tried to host something. All it ended up doing was diluting everything. It was fairly quiet.

As for Houston getting the game, I'm pretty positive it will. DFW will also just because of the stadium.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:26 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,610,567 times
Quote:
People don’t need to turn this thread into another HOU vs DFW thread. There’s a good chance both will get one.
It really wasn't my intention to make it so, but I see thin odds that out of 10 US cities, four from the South get the nod, assuming those are Houston, Dallas, Atlanta and either Orlando or Miami. Florida will get one. Probably not two.

-NY/East Rutherford, NJ is a lock.
-DC is a lock with a mammoth capacity stadium. Besides, it's only the nation's capital.
-LA is a lock and then some. FIFA can choose between the Rose Bowl and the new stadium in Inglewood, and the Rose Bowl has a shot for its capacity.
-Bay Area is a lock. Levi's looks like a weird setup for soccer, and its field issues are well-documented. But there's also Stanford Stadium, a WC '94 site.
-Atlanta is a lock.
-Kansas City is a lock for the reasons I've already mentioned. It's probably the best soccer city in the country that isn't LA or in the Pacific Northwest or Florida. FIFA will not deny KC and the entire Midwest in the process. It's only competing in the region with Cincinnati, likely the longest shot in the bunch. Note that Chicago and Detroit, both '94 game sites, aren't in this.
-Seattle is a lock. The PNW is the region that comes closest to generally supporting soccer like it's a proper major league sport in this country. Bet that FIFA is keenly aware of it. The stadium will need grass put in it for the games, but it's been done before there and elsewhere, and will have to be done at several of these other places.
-Florida is a lock to get at least one. Orlando was a '94 site. Hard Rock Stadium now gives the edge to Miami.
-Boston/Foxborough is a lock. Robert Kraft owns the stadium and was the honorary chairman of the joint North American bid to hold the tournament here in the first place. I think we know by now that FIFA isn't exactly a meritocracy.

This leaves two bids between:

-Houston
-Dallas
-Orlando (assuming Miami as the Florida-located lock)
-Philadelphia
-Denver
-Baltimore
-Nashville
-Cincinnati

So, yes, it is kind of a Houston vs. Dallas thing, not to mention a Houston vs. some other places thing. Houston beats most of them hands down, but not Dallas, and Texas is no more likely to get two bids than Florida is. Jerryworld has the highest capacity of any of the potential venues in that latter list.

I know this isn't what people want to hear, but Dallas is the city to beat.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:09 AM

9,978 posts, read 6,685,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synott View Post
I’m uneducated in this topic? Really? Lol. World Cup games are played in NFL stadiums? So all the world cups from 1998-2018 were played in NFL stadiums? The last World Cup the US hosted in 94 was played in NFL stadiums for a reason. How many soccer specific stadiums existed in the United States in 1994? The MLS didn’t even exist back then.

Get real bruh

Copa America isn’t even on the same level with Euro and your trying to compare it to the World Cup lmao
And this comment shows even how more uneducated you are on this matter. Out of the list of finalists selected to the stadium none of them are MLS stadiums. And the fact that you even think they’re going to be played in those miniature stadiums is laughable. When people actually start thinking the World Cup will be played in MLS stadiums city data is really staring tk get stupider by the day lol

Old 01-31-2019, 06:10 AM

9,978 posts, read 6,685,168 times
Quote:
Copa America isn’t prestigious for s—t. It may be prestigious for you since your a South American but in reality the UEFA champions league is more prestigious than your Copa America

The Copa America is the most prestigious soccer tournament in the Americas period. Name one that’s of higher prestige. You can’t. The only more prestigious soccer tournaments are in Europe or the World Cup itself.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:30 AM

4,753 posts, read 2,994,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
It really wasn't my intention to make it so, but I see thin odds that out of 10 US cities, four from the South get the nod, assuming those are Houston, Dallas, Atlanta and either Orlando or Miami. Florida will get one. Probably not two.

-DC is a lock with a mammoth capacity stadium. Besides, it's only the nation's capital.
-LA is a lock and then some. FIFA can choose between the Rose Bowl and the new stadium in Inglewood, and the Rose Bowl has a shot for its capacity.
-Bay Area is a lock. Levi's looks like a weird setup for soccer, and its field issues are well-documented. But there's also Stanford Stadium, a WC '94 site.
-Atlanta is a lock.
-Kansas City is a lock for the reasons I've already mentioned. It's probably the best soccer city in the country that isn't LA or in the Pacific Northwest or Florida. FIFA will not deny KC and the entire Midwest in the process. It's only competing in the region with Cincinnati, likely the longest shot in the bunch. Note that Chicago and Detroit, both '94 game sites, aren't in this.
-Seattle is a lock. The PNW is the region that comes closest to generally supporting soccer like it's a proper major league sport in this country. Bet that FIFA is keenly aware of it. The stadium will need grass put in it for the games, but it's been done before there and elsewhere, and will have to be done at several of these other places.
-Florida is a lock to get at least one. Orlando was a '94 site. Hard Rock Stadium now gives the edge to Miami.
-Boston/Foxborough is a lock. Robert Kraft owns the stadium and was the honorary chairman of the joint North American bid to hold the tournament here in the first place. I think we know by now that FIFA isn't exactly a meritocracy.

-Houston
-Dallas
-Philadelphia
-Denver
-Baltimore
-Nashville
-Cincinnati

So, yes, it is kind of a Houston vs. Dallas thing, not to mention a Houston vs. some other places thing. Houston beats most of them hands down, but not Dallas, and Texas is no more likely to get two bids than Florida is. Jerryworld has the highest capacity of any of the potential venues in that latter list.

The locks for the World Cup are NYC/NJ, Boston, DC, LA, and Miami. Not sure why you're putting KC so far up. It's a very good soccer city, but it isn't like Houston isn't either. Plus it doesn't have nearly the same market. Same for Seattle. The ten USA World cup cities are probably going to be this:

NYC/NJ - obvious
LA - super obvious
DC - nation's capital
Boston - Kraft
Miami - improved stadium, great market
Bay Area - great stadium
Atlanta - didn't host last time and has a brand new stadium + the media bid
HOUSTON - one of the best markets, has hosted many major soccer events, international population
DALLAS - pretty much the same reasons as Houston

Now that leaves one last spot open that'll go to either KC, Philly, Seattle, or Orlando. I'm taking Orlando out because Atlanta and Miami will each probably get games and it'll get too crowded in that part of the country. I'm taking out Philly because the Northeast will already have NYC/DC/Boston hosting games. That leaves the last spot to either Seattle or KC. With the West Coast having two cities and DFW being a little too far south to represent the Midwest, I think KC could get the last spot. Only problem with them would be support because it's not a large international market and would depend on which matches get hosted.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:59 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,048,311 times
Quote:

I am sure most living in this side don't even know or dont give a hoot about what UEFA Champions league or EPL is.

Prestigious is a relative term. To each one their own.

And frankly , mid tier cities should even bid . They should restrict it to big cities like NY,LA,HOU,DFW. If there is a mexico game in KC or CVG, do you think there are enough people to turn up??

Old 01-31-2019, 07:07 AM

3,191 posts, read 2,081,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
The locks for the World Cup are NYC/NJ, Boston, DC, LA, and Miami. Not sure why you're putting KC so far up. It's a very good soccer city, but it isn't like Houston isn't either. Plus it doesn't have nearly the same market. Same for Seattle. The ten USA World cup cities are probably going to be this:

NYC/NJ - obvious
LA - super obvious
DC - nation's capital
Boston - Kraft
Miami - improved stadium, great market
Bay Area - great stadium
Atlanta - didn't host last time and has a brand new stadium + the media bid
HOUSTON - one of the best markets, has hosted many major soccer events, international population
DALLAS - pretty much the same reasons as Houston

Now that leaves one last spot open that'll go to either KC, Philly, Seattle, or Orlando. I'm taking Orlando out because Atlanta and Miami will each probably get games and it'll get too crowded in that part of the country. I'm taking out Philly because the Northeast will already have NYC/DC/Boston hosting games. That leaves the last spot to either Seattle or KC. With the West Coast having two cities and DFW being a little too far south to represent the Midwest, I think KC could get the last spot. Only problem with them would be support because it's not a large international market and would depend on which matches get hosted.
KC will definitely get a match, they're not going to completely shut out the Midwest in favor of two matches 250 miles away from one another. KC supports their MLS team better than Houston does to be quite honest. Attendance will not be a problem.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:47 AM

1,753 posts, read 1,047,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post

-Atlanta is a lock.

-Houston
-Dallas
-Philadelphia
-Denver
-Baltimore
-Nashville
-Cincinnati

If it really ends up being Houston vs. Dallas then Houston wins on the merits. But Dallas may be better connected to FIFA, so we'll just have to see what happens. In my opinion KC is not a lock... not a major airport HUB which could be a disadvantage.

Also interesting that Chicago and Vancouver did not submit hosting bids. They could end up in the mix before it is all said and done. Hard to believe Chicago would not host, and definitely would take the place of KC if that happens. IN MY OPINION... which is all anyone can offer at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston