Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2022, 09:04 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,520,666 times

Advertisements

Few months ago in 2021 I saw 1BR somewhere in Houston for about $700, and the area didn't seem too bad to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2022, 10:27 AM

1,952 posts, read 827,402 times
More accurate then you think.

(sorry if it offends some)

https://judgmentalmaps.com/post/91260959870/houston

Old 02-11-2022, 03:33 PM

332 posts, read 260,191 times
To the original point of the thread, there are only a couple areas of Houston that I would consider "bad" to the point that I would actively avoid them. Those would be Sunnyside/South Park, Greenspoint, and some parts of the Third Ward. I think this list would have been a lot longer 20-30 years ago, but I would argue neighborhoods like Acres Homes, Independence Heights, South Side/OST, East End, and even portions of the Fifth Ward are showing signs of gentrification.

Now of course there are plenty of undesirable areas in Houston, but the number where I'd fear for my life is limited, IMO.

Old 02-12-2022, 02:06 AM

132 posts, read 291,123 times
I wrote this post several years ago and I know that things have changed since 2019 and what I'm mostly concerned about is safety. I know every city have their bad parts but I'm a single woman and safety is super important to me. I'm now looking for an apartment no more $1300. I'm coming from Austin and and prices here have skyrocketted. Thanks for the information ya'll. I think I'm going to look in Richmond, Katy, Sugarland or The Woodlands.

Old 02-12-2022, 07:06 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,520,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TY2012 View Post
I wrote this post several years ago and I know that things have changed since 2019 and what I'm mostly concerned about is safety. I know every city have their bad parts but I'm a single woman and safety is super important to me. I'm now looking for an apartment no more $1300. I'm coming from Austin and and prices here have skyrocketted. Thanks for the information ya'll. I think I'm going to look in Richmond, Katy, Sugarland or The Woodlands.
Why not Cypress? Especially if you are still attached to Austin. A lot better than Richmond.

Old 02-12-2022, 09:19 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,756,463 times
FYI; Sugarland borders some of the worse areas in Houston.

Old 02-12-2022, 10:27 AM

73 posts, read 44,733 times
Everything North, East and South (east of 288) inside the beltway and pretty much everything else east

Also:
Gulfton
Alief
North Katy (Everything north of Katy Freeway)
East Conroe (Everything east of I-45)
Some southwest and northwest portions inside Beltway 8.
Some pockets southeast towards Galveston.

Suburbs:
Rosenburg
Pasadena
Fresno
Stafford

Last edited by dixjohe; 02-12-2022 at 10:48 AM..

Old 02-15-2022, 05:13 PM

38 posts, read 122,780 times
Crime in Houston has started to change in the last decade or so. There is a concerted effort to gentrify pretty much everything within the 610 Loop; obviously, some neighborhoods will be more difficult than others to gentrify, but you can already see the effects. It wasn't long ago when the 5th Ward/Kashmere Gardens was one of the worst neighborhoods in Houston, now it hardly qualifies for the top 10. You could say the same for the 3rd Ward proper (the area right around UH and basically everything north of OST-- south of OST but inside the loop is still extremely sketchy and is probably the most violent neighborhood left inside 610). Midtown still has a lot of murders (13 or so last year alone) but the majority were drug-related or homeless people killing each other.

To illustrate, there have been close to 70 murders this year in Houston and Harris County-- and only 7 or 8 have been inside the Loop. That is definitely a new development within the last decade. The vast majority of violent crime these days takes place in pockets on the outskirts and this seems to be more true with every passing year (and with every stucco townhome complex that gets thrown up in previously bad areas hah). Cypress Station, Greenspoint on the north side, Edgebrook and the general area around Hobby on the SE side, Sunnyside and South Park on the south side, basically the entirety of Alief on the southwest side (and that whole area along Bissonnet/Hillcroft/Fondren between 59 and the beltway). Seems like the majority of murders these days take place in dirt cheap apartments on the fringes of the city limits.

Old 02-15-2022, 06:47 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,932,339 times
Although the overall community is trying hard to lift itself up, the Sunforest area along Tidwell has been very violent for quite awhile now. DeSoto seems to have improved a bit, maybe through demolitions.

Old 02-15-2022, 08:26 PM

38 posts, read 122,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Although the overall community is trying hard to lift itself up, the Sunforest area along Tidwell has been very violent for quite awhile now. DeSoto seems to have improved a bit, maybe through demolitions.
Yup. 9 murders last year within that half-mile radius circle with the Tidwell & Antoine intersection at the center. Rough little pocket.

249 & Bammell, Uvalde & Woodforest over by North Shore/Cloverleaf, Edgebrook & 45, and Bellfort & Broadway are some others. There are quite a few little sketchy pockets scattered around the edges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston