Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2019, 09:22 AM

2,702 posts, read 6,028,976 times

Advertisements

I am born & raised in Houston & cannot see it as a tourist destination compared to cities like Miami, LA, or even NYC. It's still a cosmopolitan, industrial, sunbelt city though w/ tons to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 09:54 PM

40 posts, read 35,077 times
No, no, no. You saying Houston is a tourist destination is like saying Jupiter is the biggest planet so it has the most people. No, Houston is not known for being a tourist destination. The "visitors" in Houston or "tourists" usually go to see their family per se, not to view downtown. And what I meant earlier was that just because Houston is a big city doesn't mean it's known for tourism. Maybe nothing other than the Space Museum. That's just it. The tourist attractions in Houston are well-known and more popular in other cities. Houston isn't my favorite place to live, either. Like, look at New Orleans. That is a tourist destination. Ain't no Houston tourist! Downtown is not a place to hang out. Look, if you ever find someone visiting Houston, it's usually because they have relatives there.

Old 02-04-2020, 03:30 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times
Houston does not have the tourist or destination cache of Miami, San Francisco, Chicago, due to the unique amenities/identity/attractions of said places.

But, the comparison to other Texas cities seems to be an obvious attempt to stir the pot.

I would agree that San Antonio and Austin are more known for tourism than Houston or Dallas. Part of that is the unique attractions such as Alamo/Riverwalk in San Antonio, or the Music/Hipster scene of Austin. Those are identities those cities have carved. That said, part of that also is that Houston and Dallas are larger cities, and thus have broader identities in general. Not necessarily saying that San Antonio or Austin are deficient, but while they may have certain unique/it factors, there are certain things you can do as a tourist in a Houston sized city that you can't in an Austin or San Antonio. I also wonder if there are actually large differences as people in number of visitors both attract, I would assume due to frequency of visits (even yes, partially or fully for family), and accessibility-Houston probably doesn't have that many fewer visitors than Austin or San Antonio does.

I mean, Asheville probably overshadows Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham as being a "Tourist Destination" for NC, however, it would be difficult to say that it necessarily offers more as a result. While that isn't exactly the same, the same is sort of true here, I think, at least on certain levels.

As per Dallas, I really don't perceive it as being any more or less a tourist destination than Houston itself. Perhaps there are differences and strengths that one has that the other doesn't and vice versa, but by and large, I consider them in the same boat. Fort Worth on the other hand, as cities go, might have more of a unique niche/culture with the Texas western/cowboy aspect present there compared to anywhere in Houston itself. OTOH though, it would be disingenuous to say that Galveston doesn't up Houston's national appeal significantly either. It makes it the only major city in the Continental US outside of Florida where one can combine a beach and city break (and key factor-actually swim) for more than a few months out of the year. That sort of thing appeals to tourists when weighing where to visit-to be sure.

That isn't to say Houston can't stand on it's own though. Frankly, the comment on the first page about a Mars visit might actually be somewhat true-honestly, I think that the level of significance of the NASA sites, even if catered to kids (as honestly, they should to a degree be), is really, really understated in terms of our global heritage.

I could see that (and perhaps even more, KSC in Florida) a couple hundred years from now being considered on the same level of global historical/cultural significance as the renaissance sites/art in Florence, and the Great Wall/Forbidden City of Beijing. Though to be fair, tourism that is based around human innovation, industry, etc. is sadly something that is undertouristed in general.

Old 02-04-2020, 10:27 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,267,629 times
As referenced earlier in this thread, tourism in any given city really is just a direct relationship with the density and pedestrian-friendliness. That is, cities that are more dense and pedestrian-friendly happen are also more appealing to tourists, whether in defined, specific districts (i.e. Austin, Las Vegas, Orlando), or across the jurisdictions at large (i.e. NYC, and other large, dense cities with good transit).

Even with cases involving great natural beauty, you'll find that the areas with higher density feature more vibrant tourism, whereas the less dense areas take role as quiet vacation retreats - you can note this as the difference in tourism styles seen with Miami/South Beach compared to Sarasota/Siesta Key.

So in the case of Houston, it just needs to build more density and pedestrian friendliness in order to support greater tourism. The process of change revolves strictly around urban fundamentals, although the length of time will vary based on interplay of city policy, construction execution, as well as the rate of perception change. The change in urbanity can indeed affect whether or not features of the area like Allen's Landing, San Jancinto Monument, Astrodome, Johnson Space Center, etc, remain mediocre, or evolve to become more special highlights of great vacation times.

Old 02-04-2020, 11:15 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthemust View Post
No, no, no. You saying Houston is a tourist destination is like saying Jupiter is the biggest planet so it has the most people. No, Houston is not known for being a tourist destination. The "visitors" in Houston or "tourists" usually go to see their family per se, not to view downtown. And what I meant earlier was that just because Houston is a big city doesn't mean it's known for tourism. Maybe nothing other than the Space Museum. That's just it. The tourist attractions in Houston are well-known and more popular in other cities. Houston isn't my favorite place to live, either. Like, look at New Orleans. That is a tourist destination. Ain't no Houston tourist! Downtown is not a place to hang out. Look, if you ever find someone visiting Houston, it's usually because they have relatives there.
Houston is not a tourist “destination” in comparison to other cities but to say people only visit Houston for family is just silly and outdated. I put money on it you probably reside in some far out suburb to not even be in tuned of how many people legitimately visit the city as tourist. Also not a lot of cities period can compare to New Orleans as a tourist destination, however Houston is a much better city to live in than New Orleans. New Orleans charm is center around its history preservation and it’s culture. Nothing Houston can do about that. It’s a much younger city and experienced a ever growing population growth Post WW2.

As far as Downtown Houston not being a place to hang out, man you clearly need to get out more. When I first moved to Houston back in 09 DT was pretty much a ghost town well up into about 2013. There were pockets of activity but nothing to write home about. For about 5 years now that started to change. DT Houston definitely is more cohesive with its vibrant nightlife and is a spot now that attracts transplants. It still has a ways to go but it’s far from dead now. Anybody denying that doesn’t get out much.

Old 02-04-2020, 12:03 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Yes,
for the people that like to visit people with no rail system and lots of traffic = nobody

Old 02-04-2020, 01:54 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,567,273 times
Houston is the 4th largest city in the US. There's plenty to do here, but you gotta know where to go. I don't think Houston was designed to be a tourist city, and I'm fine with that. Houston was built on oil, and what you see today is a result of that.

Old 02-04-2020, 02:12 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,171,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
As referenced earlier in this thread, tourism in any given city really is just a direct relationship with the density and pedestrian-friendliness. That is, cities that are more dense and pedestrian-friendly happen are also more appealing to tourists, whether in defined, specific districts (i.e. Austin, Las Vegas, Orlando), or across the jurisdictions at large (i.e. NYC, and other large, dense cities with good transit).

Even with cases involving great natural beauty, you'll find that the areas with higher density feature more vibrant tourism, whereas the less dense areas take role as quiet vacation retreats - you can note this as the difference in tourism styles seen with Miami/South Beach compared to Sarasota/Siesta Key.

So in the case of Houston, it just needs to build more density and pedestrian friendliness in order to support greater tourism. The process of change revolves strictly around urban fundamentals, although the length of time will vary based on interplay of city policy, construction execution, as well as the rate of perception change. The change in urbanity can indeed affect whether or not features of the area like Allen's Landing, San Jancinto Monument, Astrodome, Johnson Space Center, etc, remain mediocre, or evolve to become more special highlights of great vacation times.
I don't think density and pedestrian friendliness alone can build tourism. At the end of day places become tourist destinations because they have unique attractions. Aside from Johnson Space Center, which really needs to be updated with newer relics, Houston doesn't really have anything with international or even national appeal. There isn't anything wrong with that. Having to fight for amenities with tourists suck, and most Houston family attractions are already packed to the gills on weekends.

Old 02-04-2020, 11:18 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,939,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Yes,
for the people that like to visit people with no rail system and lots of traffic = nobody
Right, that's why San Antonio and Austin (whose rail doesn't count) have no tourists.

Old 02-05-2020, 06:19 AM

18,132 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Right, that's why San Antonio and Austin (whose rail doesn't count) have no tourists.
San Antonio has the Riverwalk, missions and a festival every weekend
Houston has nothing like that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston