Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 08:55 PM

653 posts, read 466,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwr View Post
I think this thread is silly. The beauty of Dallas and Houston is not realized until you live in either city and enjoy all of the activities that each metro area offers. Living in both cities is far better than visiting.

Visiting a city is entirely different than living there. There are plenty of cities to visit that don’t make sense when living is considered.
I lived most of my life in Houston before moving to California.

I describe Houston now as "a nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit".

Houston offers so much to residents, but there is really very little to interest a tourist from beyond the region.

That said, Dallas isn't any more of a destination in my book. I can see the appeal of San Antonio to a traveler, though. Lots of good history, architecture and tourist attractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 08:57 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,258,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I wouldn't recommend just planning one in Houston if you don't know anyone, but if you have friends that live in Houston, then sure. There are more exciting cities and places to go.
The perfect answer. Short but says more then any post trying to say Houston is or should be and just the word isn't out yet. Most of the country sees Dallas/Ft Worth as representing Texas more. So many might start there with a more small town Texas realism what they want to see as tourist westward.

Houston feels it should be seen as representing Texas and its major and largest - just one city/metro. But just too many other Texas cities and what the rest of Texas represents ....for tourist to want to see. Doesn't mean any city is the better city.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:11 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,730,773 times
The longer I've lived here, the more I've gotten to like the place and the people. That said, I don't think the city offers a major tourism draw. I do think Houston is in a sense a "model" city for the US, since we have so much diversity here, and we've in a sense made it work better than most places. That to me is the best thing we have going, and it is unique.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:19 PM

46 posts, read 26,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
San Antonio gets the tourists because of the Riverwalk, the Alamo all the conventions and the theme parks. Austin will also because of SXSW and other festivals...and of course Texas tourists wanting to visit the state capitol.

Houston and Dallas... I've never felt a need to go back and visit after going to each once. They are what they are, big cities with good industries and plenty of jobs. I am sure there is plenty to do for the locals... but these are not places I want to go out of my way to see unless it is specifically for a concert or sporting event.
Dallas has the Sixth Floor Museum and Dealey Plaza with JFK was assassinated. Also, Reunion Tower is another big landmark for the city. Southfork Ranch outside of Dallas is a big landmark because of the TV series Dallas.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:39 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,574,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman1 View Post
Dallas has the Sixth Floor Museum and Dealey Plaza with JFK was assassinated. Also, Reunion Tower is another big landmark for the city. Southfork Ranch outside of Dallas is a big landmark because of the TV series Dallas.
SouthFork Ranch is a lovely place. Every time I go to Dallas to visit, that's the first place I go and each time, I'm reminded why it's a jewel for DFW. You can hold conferences, reunions, weddings, etc. there.

Old 05-20-2019, 06:23 PM

1,896 posts, read 814,255 times
Houston should lean into sports tourism since it is in the advantageous position of having it's major venues close together, centrally located, and connected by rail. Houston should go after more college bowl games, all star games, international soccer games, etc since we already have much of the public infrastructure in place to move people around from games to bars and restaurants to hotels (plus ride sharing).

Old 05-21-2019, 10:55 AM

9,968 posts, read 6,681,463 times
Anytime someone posts in a Houston forum “will Houston have ____ as good as” and name other Texas cities, it’s a troll job. To make it more obvious, if you check the OP profile, he joined on the same date as he made this thread.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:13 AM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 14 days ago)

8,425 posts, read 5,569,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractal12 View Post
Houston a tourist destination? LMAO

Texans are stupid low IQ overly religious ugly morons, glad I live in California. And they are annoying as heck, always friendly and smiling like a bunch of goofballs.

And Texas is a cheap state with no beautiful scenery like California.

Glad I don't live in that White trash honky/Mexicanized state. I live in California with all the Indian techies (I am East Indian)
I’m glad you don’t live here either.

Oh and nobody asked you about your background because literally no one cares.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:20 AM

2,283 posts, read 4,077,510 times
Houston and Dallas don't stand a chance compared to Mentone.

Old 05-26-2019, 11:36 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,475,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanoSF View Post
I lived most of my life in Houston before moving to California.

I describe Houston now as "a nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit".

Houston offers so much to residents, but there is really very little to interest a tourist from beyond the region.

That said, Dallas isn't any more of a destination in my book. I can see the appeal of San Antonio to a traveler, though. Lots of good history, architecture and tourist attractions.
Funny coming from a current S.F. resident. Sunny and cheaper (and more populous) L.A. is what people envision when they visit California. The decrepit yet expensive and bad climate of slowly depopulating S.F. and the Bay Area usually turns up in the back burner. Sadly most SoCalers would rather visit Vegas for the weekend instead of keeping their money in their own state by visiting NorCal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I've been to every city you mentioned with the exception of Orlando aka the theme parks nobody really visits Orlando the city and as fantastic and tourist friendly those places are(LA not really)
Actually L.A. has been on a tourism boom since the middle of the decade (recovery from the Great Recession).

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-...507-story.html

Anaheim enacted an ordinance banning Airbnb and other short-term rentals due to neighboring residents' complaints on quality-of-life issues.

Disneyland's Hometown Is Banning Short-Term Rentals | Fortune
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston