Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 08:12 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,510,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Possibly I think separating people visiting Dallas or Fort Worth would be more difficult and there's probably more cross visits in DFW as opposed to Houston Galveston.
I honestly dont know why its so hard to think DFW gets more domestic visitors than Greater Houston (Galveston included). I work in the airline industry and I can tell you the demand for non-connecting domestic traffic is WAYYY bigger in DFW than it is in Houston. Houston, of course, has much more demand for international non-connecting traffic.

Why that fact is controversial makes no sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 09:04 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,504,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I honestly dont know why its so hard to think DFW gets more domestic visitors than Greater Houston (Galveston included). I work in the airline industry and I can tell you the demand for non-connecting domestic traffic is WAYYY bigger in DFW than it is in Houston. Houston, of course, has much more demand for international non-connecting traffic.

Why that fact is controversial makes no sense to me.
I'm really not disputing that DFW gets more visitors than Houston, its the "WAYYY" more part I am having trouble accepting.

My "on the spot" on-line research reveals Houston got 21.8 million visitors in 2017, the link you posted showed Dallas with 22 million visitors in 2013. I have seen figures that Dallas is up to 25 million visitors in the past couple of years. I don't see that as a huge difference. I also see evidence that Houston is closing that gap especially among younger travelers.

I also found sites that show Fort Worth claiming 8.8 million visitors and Galveston claiming 6.5 million visitors. I have to wonder how many of FW visitors are Dallas visitors on a side trip to FW, whereas it seems to me people who visit Galveston from outside the Greater Houston area, are more likely to be visiting separate from any plans to visit Houston.

https://www.star-telegram.com/opinio...130442949.html

https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/b...s-11175775.php

Old 05-18-2019, 09:47 AM
kwr

254 posts, read 494,122 times
I think this thread is silly. The beauty of Dallas and Houston is not realized until you live in either city and enjoy all of the activities that each metro area offers. Living in both cities is far better than visiting.

Visiting a city is entirely different than living there. There are plenty of cities to visit that don’t make sense when living is considered.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwr View Post
I think this thread is silly. The beauty of Dallas and Houston is not realized until you live in either city and enjoy all of the activities that each metro area offers. Living in both cities is far better than visiting.

Visiting a city is entirely different than living there. There are plenty of cities to visit that don’t make sense when living is considered.
For sure living in them is far better than visiting.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I'm really not disputing that DFW gets more visitors than Houston, its the "WAYYY" more part I am having trouble accepting.

My "on the spot" on-line research reveals Houston got 21.8 million visitors in 2017, the link you posted showed Dallas with 22 million visitors in 2013. I have seen figures that Dallas is up to 25 million visitors in the past couple of years. I don't see that as a huge difference. I also see evidence that Houston is closing that gap especially among younger travelers.

I also found sites that show Fort Worth claiming 8.8 million visitors and Galveston claiming 6.5 million visitors. I have to wonder how many of FW visitors are Dallas visitors on a side trip to FW, whereas it seems to me people who visit Galveston from outside the Greater Houston area, are more likely to be visiting separate from any plans to visit Houston.

https://www.star-telegram.com/opinio...130442949.html

https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/b...s-11175775.php
At least as far as air travel goes, the difference is extremely significant. DFW has about 25-30% demand on domestic non-connecting air travel.

As far as whether the numbers include cities or metro areas, any study is going to be one or the other. It’s going to include Fort Worth and Galveston or exclude both because they are in the same metro area.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:49 PM

9,902 posts, read 6,607,441 times
Troll alert: this is a troll job to make Houston feel inferior to other Texas cities. That being said it’s not doing a very good job at it (although seeing replies in here, it seems it worked), and this is why:

Does your criteria actually include Dallas, Austin, San Antonio. Sure. If those are your standards you could argue the moves made are getting them there. That’s why you have seen so many luxury hotels break down.

San Antonio makes somewhat sense. For being a much smaller market it attracts more people than Houston and Dallas.

Miami, Vegas, Los Angeles. Those are tourist cities.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:55 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,541,183 times
San Antonio gets the tourists because of the Riverwalk, the Alamo all the conventions and the theme parks. Austin will also because of SXSW and other festivals...and of course Texas tourists wanting to visit the state capitol.

Houston and Dallas... I've never felt a need to go back and visit after going to each once. They are what they are, big cities with good industries and plenty of jobs. I am sure there is plenty to do for the locals... but these are not places I want to go out of my way to see unless it is specifically for a concert or sporting event.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:57 PM

9,902 posts, read 6,607,441 times
Aside from the troll job, Houston has done a good job at transitioning midtown and EaDo into a bar hopping/clubbing/party destination. This has captured a lot of regional tourism. As this keeps increasing, the numbers will continue to climb

Old 05-18-2019, 03:28 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,626,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Let's be honest, no city in Texas is a "tourist" destination...maybe San Antonio for the Alamo.

Why would anybody make a special trip to Dallas? To see Dealy Plaza where JFK was shot?

Are they counting visitors to the State Fair? Or the Cotton Bowl?

I think all the cities mentioned have places to visit "if you are there" but none are tourist destinations like NYC, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Orlando. People make special trips to go to those cities!
Seriously how many times can one person visit these cities and might possibly want to explore other cities in America? I've been to every city you mentioned with the exception of Orlando aka the theme parks nobody really visits Orlando the city and as fantastic and tourist friendly those places are(LA not really) it's more to America than just the popular destinations. I'm not one of few Americans or international visitors that wants to visit other cities.

So yes there are plenty of Texas cities that are destinations for some tourist. I've been to most major cities in America, I don't need to repeat San Fran,NYC or LA. I can go elsewhere or eventually out the country.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:24 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,541,391 times
I wouldn't recommend just planning one in Houston if you don't know anyone, but if you have friends that live in Houston, then sure. There are more exciting cities and places to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston