Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 10:08 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,513,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
"Newly updated"

Zillow and I would be in agreement.

Dallas and Houston ran up at the same time for similar reasons. Denver had, shall we say, entirely different reasons for its rapid growth around the same time.
You know I have to ask, what are these "entirely" different reasons for Denver's run up. Let me guess first, ah hummmm Denver is a pretty place and people just really really want to live there ?

With that said Denver is a regional energy hub you know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 10:12 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,584,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
You know I have to ask, what are these "entirely" different reasons for Denver's run up.
Some of those reasons you smoke, some of those reasons you eat.

Old 12-17-2019, 12:12 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,513,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Some of those reasons you smoke, some of those reasons you eat.
Ahh, I see, very well thanks for enlightening me....

Old 12-17-2019, 04:14 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,212,826 times
Part of this follows the same pattern year after year. The "buying season" starts about mid January and runs crazy until late May, when it cools down and limps along until October, when it goes really dead - until mid January. I always advise buyers to buy during the slow season - and sellers to list during the frenzy of the buying season. Noting new here.

Old 12-20-2019, 07:27 AM

196 posts, read 420,276 times
Prices are trending lower, and inventory is high in the areas I've monitored over the last 4 years.

Old 12-21-2019, 09:45 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,825,360 times
Don't let the facts hit you in the face here. Median home price is up, and Houston is #2 in the nation in housing starts. Unemployment at historical lows, stock market at historical highs, interest rates historically low. It's almost like people want things to be bad, while facts hit them straight in the face. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

Old 12-22-2019, 06:58 AM
kwr

254 posts, read 494,607 times
Seems the luxury market is still steaming.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...y-14924827.php

Old 12-22-2019, 10:01 AM

288 posts, read 434,567 times
Cooled some? yes. Is it a buyers market? No. You may have a home go through two price decreases, and sell after 45 days with no bidding war. But, that isn't true for every spot. Median prices are still high, and overall inventory is still too low. Inventory spikes in some areas are the ones which had prices rise so fast they were going to be exposed to some normalization eventually. But overall, inventory is still low.

Interest rates have been low for so long, I don't know why anyone keeps bringing this up. It's the new normal, and we're not going to see a rate hike anytime soon. A decade of low interest rates, and if a 1% swing in a year is such a big deterrent to home buyers? How can anyone think the market can survive if it leaps back up 4% to the old "normal". Not going to happen. the FOMO of low rates has probably been baked in at this point.

Old 12-22-2019, 10:22 AM

467 posts, read 780,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientific View Post
Cooled some? yes. Is it a buyers market? No. You may have a home go through two price decreases, and sell after 45 days with no bidding war. But, that isn't true for every spot. Median prices are still high, and overall inventory is still too low. Inventory spikes in some areas are the ones which had prices rise so fast they were going to be exposed to some normalization eventually. But overall, inventory is still low.

Interest rates have been low for so long, I don't know why anyone keeps bringing this up. It's the new normal, and we're not going to see a rate hike anytime soon. A decade of low interest rates, and if a 1% swing in a year is such a big deterrent to home buyers? How can anyone think the market can survive if it leaps back up 4% to the old "normal". Not going to happen. the FOMO of low rates has probably been baked in at this point.
This time last year I saw loans at 5.5%.. today 3.5%

Old 12-22-2019, 12:30 PM

5,634 posts, read 4,958,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1153 View Post
This time last year I saw loans at 5.5%.. today 3.5%
They only exceeded 5.0% for a very brief period. For the last 10 years, rates have been exceptionally low. Anyway, in a historical context, 5.5% would be "average" perhaps, and certainly not "high."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston