Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 04:01 PM

20 posts, read 58,543 times

Advertisements

Whats a good place to buy a home in the city.

I am looking to spend around $200k
I am newly married and would like it to be as safe as possible.

I have heard the Heights is a great place to go. Maybe an older fixer upper? Whats a good section to look at?

Any other places other then the Heights?

My plan is to buy an older 1920's home and renovate it(has to be livable as is though) and sell it when my kids are a bit older, so around 8 years.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 04:25 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,834,115 times
$200k won't buy much in the higher demand sections of the Heights, (primarily 77007). Although small fixer uppers can still be had. I did see a foreclosure on Kane street in the 6th ward that looks like a buy for $217,000. That area is pretty hot right now.

You might also look in the Brookesmith section, between Main and 45 and see if there is anything in there that works for you.

If you have your heart set on 1920's vintage, keep Eastwood in mind as well. Eastwood Civic Association As this area seems to be really "turning the corner."

40's vintage bungalows are also available in Lindale Park Lindale Park Civic Club, Houston Texas Which might be an option. As well as Idylwood Idylwood Civic Club + Houston, Texas - Welcome to Idylwood (http://www.idylwood-houston.org - broken link) in the near east end.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:12 PM

well 1920's isn't a must. Rather I thought older homes would be cheaper and worth more later.

Thanks for your advice on the other locations I will get to looking into them.

Also, do you suggest HAR.com for searching or something else? I have a realtor, but I really like to search on my own.
Thanks

Old 04-21-2008, 05:36 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
You might also consider Willowbend and Westbury. Westbury will be the better value at this point but either neighborhood will have a large inventory of well built older homes that give you an enormous opportunity to build equity through remodeling. My wife and I have lived in Willowbend since July and have no complaints. The neighborhood is safe, quiet and still affordable. The public high school we are zoned to leaves much to be desired, but that will not be a concern for more than a decade. Good luck and happy hunting.

HAR is probably your best bet. I have not compared the listings on the two but you might try realtor.com as well.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:44 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,834,115 times
Stick with HAR.com, it is updated constantly where Realtor.com just pulls from HAR.com about once a week I think.

I think there is a lot of upside to Westbury/Parkwest as well. Westbury south still has a ways to go.

Living in-town for $200k or less in something livable usually dictates either places hugging the outer edge of the loop like Oak Forest, Shepherd Forest, Westbury, Willowbend, Post Oak Manor, Glenbrook, or east of 45 inside the loop, Lindale Park, Eastwood, Houston Country Club, or Idylwood.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:52 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
I agree wtih Modster for Eastwood for the 200's. Houston is a big big city, anything close in is growing in value or already costs an arm and a leg.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:47 AM

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions ...I might have missed it...forgive me if I did...I kind of wanted to be inside the loop and on the west....is that possible? I looked at memorial...SUPER beautiful, but unfortunately outside of my price range...cheapest I could find was around $300k...

Thanks again

Old 04-23-2008, 09:12 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,054,486 times
I don't think you'll find much inside the loop on the west side for 200K (anything big enough for a family, that is). You can still find property on the east side ITL for that price, however. You can do a HAR.com search where you limit the neighborhoods and prices; you'll see pretty quickly what's available.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:59 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,154,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedom View Post
Thanks so much for all of your suggestions ...I might have missed it...forgive me if I did...I kind of wanted to be inside the loop and on the west....is that possible? I looked at memorial...SUPER beautiful, but unfortunately outside of my price range...cheapest I could find was around $300k...

Thanks again
Everything modster listed is inside the loop. You can find places around 200K in all of those area.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:41 PM

How is Bellaire? I have heard it's quite nice...for my money I might get scooted outside the loop, but what do you guys think of it long term? Is it safe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston