Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 07:52 AM

66 posts, read 60,102 times

Advertisements

I mean even Texas Tech, which is a good school but even as an alum I don't put it in the same category as UT and A&M obviously, has a bigger endowment of $1.3 billion than UH. So don't know where all these donors are he's referring to. UH is great, got my MBA there, but it ain't close to UT. Hopefully one day though, would be great for Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2020, 11:31 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,295,281 times
UH is definitely not in the same league as UT and A&M, but that is due to disproportionate funding (won't go into that here) and not necessarily something that UH can control.

And while UH is still not a destination university, I see that many folks here are still locked in a 1990s mindset and still cling to old stereotypes that are long dead. UH has changed a lot. Admissions standards are approaching that of flagship universities in smaller neighboring states like U Arkansas or Ok State. If we are going by just acceptance rate (I know there is more to consider but just for the sake of argument) then UH is tougher to get into than LSU. Look up some of UH's departmental rankings if you believe in rankings. UH does compare favorably to regional flagship universities in smaller states, while UH is not treated as a flagship in it's own state. The difference is state funding. Arkansas throws their weight into Fayetteville, and Texas showers UT and A&M with endless riches, but throws scraps at UH.

Just like Ok State and U Arkansas, UH is a 'real' university. They would not have been able to stand their ground against the UT system if they were not.

Old 08-14-2020, 11:42 AM

6 posts, read 3,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naners1 View Post
As far as funds spent on research is concerned the University of Houston spent over 195 million on research in 2018 While Rice with all its money only spent 156 million in 2019.
Rice is an outstanding university but it really needs to grow it barely has 7,100 students. The University of Houston has over 46,000 students with nearly 9,000 graduate students. Research will increase exponentially once its Medical School begins to really roll.
https://uh.edu/uh-research/
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...w=1491&bih=734
As mentioned earlier in this thread, Rice, like many other private colleges in this country, is a school that is concerned with prestige. Let's take a look at the undergrad population of some of the schools it would consider as peers:

Columbia: 6,202

UChicago: 6,552

Northwestern: 8,231

Duke: 6,682

Vanderbilt: 6,861

Princeton: 5,428

All these schools have managed to maintain massive endowments and research spending despite their "small" undergrad population. The benefit is that there is more money per student, which means that each student has more opportunities and resources to get engaged in research, clubs, pre-professional organizations, etc.

Old 08-14-2020, 11:50 AM

10,031 posts, read 6,733,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
UH is definitely not in the same league as UT and A&M, but that is due to disproportionate funding (won't go into that here) and not necessarily something that UH can control.

And while UH is still not a destination university, I see that many folks here are still locked in a 1990s mindset and still cling to old stereotypes that are long dead. UH has changed a lot. Admissions standards are approaching that of flagship universities in smaller neighboring states like U Arkansas or Ok State. If we are going by just acceptance rate (I know there is more to consider but just for the sake of argument) then UH is tougher to get into than LSU. Look up some of UH's departmental rankings if you believe in rankings. UH does compare favorably to regional flagship universities in smaller states, while UH is not treated as a flagship in it's own state. The difference is state funding. Arkansas throws their weight into Fayetteville, and Texas showers UT and A&M with endless riches, but throws scraps at UH.

Just like Ok State and U Arkansas, UH is a 'real' university. They would not have been able to stand their ground against the UT system if they were not.
100%. I’m reading a lot of boomer opinions here, but that’s common on this website.

Old 08-14-2020, 05:37 PM

222 posts, read 175,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post

I agree with you, the University of Houston does not get its fair share of funds from the state, but they are working on that and in a few years they will get their fair share.
One can not deny that with the little they get they are performing miracles. The University of Houston with its new Medical School and other recent initiatives they are set to shine.

The University of Houston got $362.5 million from the state.
Texas A&M received $800.8 million from the state.
The University of Texas received $922.6 million from the state.
(Latest 2016–17 BIENNIUM )

Old 08-14-2020, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naners1 View Post
I agree with you, the University of Houston does not get its fair share of funds from the state, but they are working on that and in a few years they will get their fair share.
One can not deny that with the little they get they are performing miracles. The University of Houston with its new Medical School and other recent initiatives they are set to shine.

The University of Houston got $362.5 million from the state.
Texas A&M received $800.8 million from the state.
The University of Texas received $922.6 million from the state.
(Latest 2016–17 BIENNIUM )
Now this I agree with. This thread is way too 2-sided. Of course I agree that UH is improving, has improved and the “commuter/large community college” labels are boomer ideas.

As long as you’re not trying to convince people that Rice University, BCM and UT Health get less investors than UH, then I’m with you on UH

Old 08-14-2020, 10:26 PM

6,301 posts, read 7,541,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
100%. I’m reading a lot of boomer opinions here, but that’s common on this website.
Please illuminate the differences between "Boomer" opinions and non-Boomer opinions which I suppose includes everybody else besides "Boomers"

Old 08-14-2020, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Please illuminate the differences between "Boomer" opinions and non-Boomer opinions which I suppose includes everybody else besides "Boomers"
Boomer opinion: UH is a commuter campus whose entire student body consists of people who wanted to go elsewhere while they got stuck at home. There’s 0 UH pride and no one there enjoys going there.

Non boomer opinion: UH obviously isn’t UT or UCLA or A&M but it’s definitely turned into a legit school and is only improving. There’s plenty of UH pride and it’s only getting better.

Basically, boomer isn’t the age or the generation. It’s the state of mind. The older people get, the more accustomed they are to things being a certain way when they grew up. UH became a tier 1 school in 2011. In 2019, the medical school first opened. The sports following is growing quickly. Through all the strides it get, boomers don’t see UH for that, they see it as the school it was from 90-05.

This thread is about a UT-Houston not getting in the way of UH’s growth but the boomer state of mind sees UT as the Godchild and UH as back up and they think their kids will think exactly as They do which is that they’ll be too estátic to see the UT logo on a school and be ever so attracted to it. While the reality is that while one person here and there will get attracted that way, the vast majority of students know the only UT experience the way they have in mind is UT Austin. And the better public school in the city will still be UH. But boomer (the mentality) sees things how they used to be.

Old 08-15-2020, 09:13 AM
bu2

24,150 posts, read 14,999,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Boomer opinion: UH is a commuter campus whose entire student body consists of people who wanted to go elsewhere while they got stuck at home. There’s 0 UH pride and no one there enjoys going there.

Non boomer opinion: UH obviously isn’t UT or UCLA or A&M but it’s definitely turned into a legit school and is only improving. There’s plenty of UH pride and it’s only getting better.

Basically, boomer isn’t the age or the generation. It’s the state of mind. The older people get, the more accustomed they are to things being a certain way when they grew up. UH became a tier 1 school in 2011. In 2019, the medical school first opened. The sports following is growing quickly. Through all the strides it get, boomers don’t see UH for that, they see it as the school it was from 90-05.

This thread is about a UT-Houston not getting in the way of UH’s growth but the boomer state of mind sees UT as the Godchild and UH as back up and they think their kids will think exactly as They do which is that they’ll be too estátic to see the UT logo on a school and be ever so attracted to it. While the reality is that while one person here and there will get attracted that way, the vast majority of students know the only UT experience the way they have in mind is UT Austin. And the better public school in the city will still be UH. But boomer (the mentality) sees things how they used to be.
Houston, the city and the university, would be better off if they were in the UT system getting a share of the AUF and working with the UT system instead of fighting it. Instead they are paranoid and trying to build their empire.

Unfortunately, there are parts of the UH administration that are still Cougar High, stuck in the 60s/70s/80s when the Cougar High label fit. UH actually is tougher to get into now than most of the SEC schools.

Old 08-15-2020, 10:13 AM

4,515 posts, read 4,662,016 times
Anymore, state run universites are "for profit" universities. They use to be a very affordable alternative to a good private universities. More than likely there will be alot of students who will go to UT-Houston when they never would have gone to UT-Austin. So a UT-Houston would mean alot more profit for the UT system which is run by the State of Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston