Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 10:34 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,304,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Here's a MoCo newspaper article on the "secret" construction of the Woodlands Parkway extension https://thegoldenhammer.net/woodland...ims-otherwise/

The description of 249 as "The Decimation of Hope Highway" is hilarious.

As far as I'm concerned, the people who live in The Woodlands should have very little influence on the roads outside the limits of The Woodlands. They aren't the only people who live in Montgomery County.
But they have no problem with Harris county paying for the expansion of Gosling and Kuykendahl to give them easier access to 99.

Harris county should have told them: “take I-45 if you want to use 99”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2021, 06:21 AM

15,456 posts, read 7,511,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
But they have no problem with Harris county paying for the expansion of Gosling and Kuykendahl to give them easier access to 99.

Hahaha. That would be great. The modern version of "let them eat cake"

Old 11-17-2021, 07:34 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,903,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
There are 3 major thoroughfares running north-south into the Woodlands from Harris County Gosling Rd., Kuykendahl, and FM 2878 or Hufsmith-Kohrville Rd. How many more would you guys suggest they have ? It seems more than enough for me especially when you include I-45. These major thoroughfares pretty much dissect the Woodlands into 3 equal parts.

People in Tomball can use 2878 as well as 99. You can also use Hardin Store Rd and FM 1488 from 249 to 2878 from the west.

Quit picking on TW people just because you want them to urbanize and they obviously do not.
I was thinking the same thing.

The Woodlands Parkway was not originally intended as anything other than a way to get out of The Woodlands from the back Villages.

1488 is the East/West route.

Old 11-17-2021, 11:19 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,304,323 times
I don’t care either way
I just find it funny that The Woodlands want to tell people West of The Woodlands what to do with their land because it will hurt their property value if Woodlands parkway was extended to 249.

Old 11-18-2021, 08:17 AM

5,616 posts, read 4,949,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I was thinking the same thing.

The Woodlands Parkway was not originally intended as anything other than a way to get out of The Woodlands from the back Villages.

1488 is the East/West route.
A heavily developed area like southern Montgomery County should have an effective network of through streets. Ideally one every 1/2 mile, absolute max one per mile. Houston learned the hard way that having limited connectivity is a very bad thing.

Old 11-18-2021, 12:20 PM

3 posts, read 8,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
While a lot of growth is occurring around The Woodlands, if anything it's making a significant share of residents there more oriented to keeping / fortifying the "bubble." The original visionary developer, George Mitchell, never wanted it to be a bubble, just an example of how to do a higher-quality version of suburbia that kept more natural landscape (fake lakes aside) and created a walkable downtown. However, many existing residents are actively fighting to keep it cut off from the outside world.

The thoroughfares leading out of The Woodlands have been in plans for decades to connect to the growing areas adjacent. However, the bubble people are actively working to change those plans to make sure The Woodlands thoroughfares don't connect, particularly to the south or west. It's bizarre and frankly deplorable (yes I am being judgmental) - they are actively trying to ruin mobility and traffic flow for everyone else.
I wasn't going to say anything but this is the third reference to fake lakes and I can't take it... Pretty much every lake you have heard of is man-made. That includes Lake Conroe, Livingston, Towne, Sheldon, Arboretum, Lake Houston and more than 200 other reservoirs around Texas. Caddo Lake is basically the only lake you would have heard of that is natural. So putting down TW for a fake lake is really silly when pretty much every lake in and around the Houston area is man-made.

Old 11-18-2021, 01:38 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,551,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post

The Woodlands is comprised of villages.

One of the villages (Creekside Park) is in Harris County, with Kuykendahl running through it and edge of the village opening onto Gosling.

Old 11-18-2021, 03:05 PM

5,616 posts, read 4,949,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMint View Post
I wasn't going to say anything but this is the third reference to fake lakes and I can't take it... Pretty much every lake you have heard of is man-made. That includes Lake Conroe, Livingston, Towne, Sheldon, Arboretum, Lake Houston and more than 200 other reservoirs around Texas. Caddo Lake is basically the only lake you would have heard of that is natural. So putting down TW for a fake lake is really silly when pretty much every lake in and around the Houston area is man-made.
Yeah, I didn't really mean to sound so derogatory. Yes, the lakes are "fake", but they're nice amenities.

Old 12-26-2021, 06:05 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,765,482 times
I spent the day in The Woodlands with my family, and I couldn’t help but to think some folks actually have the audacity to down play this area in comparison to other suburbs in the Houston area. The Woodlands is really something special.

Old 12-26-2021, 06:46 PM

9,907 posts, read 6,617,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
I spent the day in The Woodlands with my family, and I couldn’t help but to think some folks actually have the audacity to down play this area in comparison to other suburbs in the Houston area. The Woodlands is really something special.
Facts. Screw those people for having different opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston