Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 01:07 PM

1,952 posts, read 830,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Yes. While others particularly like the Woodlands because of the demographics

Ok, how about you live wherever you want in this city...just don't be a douche about it?

"I think XXX is too white...blah blah.....great...then DONT LIVE THERE.

"I think ZZZ is too diverse... blah, blah blah...great...then DONT LIVE THERE.

If an area DOES have too many whites...big deal. Other areas, heavier on other races are NEVER dogged on for their make-up. Does not make it a bad place or make the residents racist or whatever. It is what it is.

Maybe places like the Woodlands just do not appeal to non-white peoples? That is fine with me.

No need for the constant d*ck-measuring that goes on, comparing Katy to Kingwood to whatever....it just seem pointless. I might also find the Woodlands and Katy both to be un-appealing....so what? There is no right or wrong answer here, only opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2021, 01:18 PM

9,904 posts, read 6,612,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
Ok, how about you live wherever you want in this city...just don't be a douche about it?

"I think XXX is too white...blah blah.....great...then DONT LIVE THERE.

"I think ZZZ is too diverse... blah, blah blah...great...then DONT LIVE THERE.

If an area DOES have too many whites...big deal. Other areas, heavier on other races are NEVER dogged on for their make-up. Does not make it a bad place or make the residents racist or whatever. It is what it is.

Maybe places like the Woodlands just do not appeal to non-white peoples? That is fine with me.

No need for the constant d*ck-measuring that goes on, comparing Katy to Kingwood to whatever....it just seem pointless. I might also find the Woodlands and Katy both to be un-appealing....so what? There is no right or wrong answer here, only opinions.
Being a douche? I said what I do and don’t like about it that’s all. The Woodlands is the douchiest suburb in town anyway.

Pros:

- Best suburban regional mall/shopping area. And still improving
- Lots of natural beauty
- good Schools
- Lots of employment and diverse industries in proximity
- Fine dining
- close to IAH
- A level concerts at Cinthia Woods Pavillion
- Amazing town center
- lots of shade everywhere you go

Cons:

- Demographics (this is subjective. I prefer live among international residents. For someone who doesn’t care this wouldn’t apply. And for someone who likes living amongst whites, this would be a pro)
- Lack of good food outside of fine dining and chains
- Pretentious

Nothing douchy about staying the pros and cons. Not everyone cares about demographics but I personally do.

Old 12-29-2021, 02:58 PM

1,168 posts, read 778,839 times
Quote:
If an area DOES have too many whites...big deal. Other areas, heavier on other races are NEVER dogged on for their make-up.
Might have something to do with those other races making up a far smaller percentage of the national population than white people do. So we can't act like it's the same thing at all.

I certainly never hear places get dogged on for being predominantly white, but across the country it's much easier for white people to find spaces where they are well represented than it is for minorities to do the same. Duh.

Old 12-29-2021, 03:00 PM

1,952 posts, read 830,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Being a douche? I said what I do and don’t like about it that’s all. The Woodlands is the douchiest suburb in town anyway.

Pros:

- Best suburban regional mall/shopping area. And still improving
- Lots of natural beauty
- good Schools
- Lots of employment and diverse industries in proximity
- Fine dining
- close to IAH
- A level concerts at Cinthia Woods Pavillion
- Amazing town center
- lots of shade everywhere you go

Cons:

- Demographics (this is subjective. I prefer live among international residents. For someone who doesn’t care this wouldn’t apply. And for someone who likes living amongst whites, this would be a pro)
- Lack of good food outside of fine dining and chains
- Pretentious

Nothing douchy about staying the pros and cons. Not everyone cares about demographics but I personally do.

Was not directed to one person, but to these threads as a whole.

People post up a certain area they don't like and go on about how they hate it or could never live there.

BFD....live where you want...just don't be a douche about it.

I see no value in trying to convince others why your part of the burbs is best. Best means different things to different people.

I too do not find Woodlands, Kingwood or Katy appealing but hey,,,if you do...live there and love it. This is the beauty of a large and diverse area that is Houston - everyone can find their place.

Me? I could care less what my neighbors look like...as long as they are good people that keep their stuff up and we can all get along and live together as neighbors. Fortunately, I have found in Houston those people DO come in all colors. In fact, I might be in the minority on my block but I really don't care.

Old 12-29-2021, 04:28 PM

3,169 posts, read 2,057,357 times
Quote:
So...some thing the Woodlands is too white?

Is there a place to gather stats on the demographics of Houston burbs like Woodlands, Kingwood, etc? I would be interested in seeing these.
I wouldn't say that its too white per se, but its a mix of not being diverse by Houston standards with a population that seems to skew older than the metro as a whole (and definitely moreso than the city). Demographics doesn't necessarily mean just race.

There are other suburbs with older populations, but they tend to be more diverse. I personally like a diverse, younger population, which is why I live in the city and TW doesn't really appeal to me.

Old 12-30-2021, 07:51 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
A heavily developed area like southern Montgomery County should have an effective network of through streets. Ideally one every 1/2 mile, absolute max one per mile. Houston learned the hard way that having limited connectivity is a very bad thing.
A subdivision was built back in the early 60s in NW Harris county It had one way in and out. There was a railroad track very close. They found out the hard way about keeping the riff riff out. If there was an accident or flooding at their entrance nobody could move. That included emergency vehicles entering.

IMO, Harris county should put one of those earning taxes in place. If you work in Harris county but live in another county, it's a 1% payroll tax. Somebody has to provide the streets, water sewer, etc. for the elite when they get into town.

Old 12-30-2021, 10:06 AM

15,441 posts, read 7,506,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
A subdivision was built back in the early 60s in NW Harris county It had one way in and out. There was a railroad track very close. They found out the hard way about keeping the riff riff out. If there was an accident or flooding at their entrance nobody could move. That included emergency vehicles entering.

IMO, Harris county should put one of those earning taxes in place. If you work in Harris county but live in another county, it's a 1% payroll tax. Somebody has to provide the streets, water sewer, etc. for the elite when they get into town.
Counties in Texas do not have the power to tax earnings. The sewers and such are provided by the incorporated cities or the MUD's. Harris County doesn't provide water or sewer services.

Old 12-30-2021, 10:14 AM

5,615 posts, read 4,947,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Counties in Texas do not have the power to tax earnings. The sewers and such are provided by the incorporated cities or the MUD's. Harris County doesn't provide water or sewer services.
I don't believe any level of government has the power to tax personal earnings in Texas - AKA an income tax.

Old 12-30-2021, 10:43 AM

15,441 posts, read 7,506,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I don't believe any level of government has the power to tax personal earnings in Texas - AKA an income tax.
Correct. And, the Legislature made imposing a state income tax super double hard instead of just really hard a couple of years ago. Which will bite the state at some point down the road, when extraction and sales taxes aren't enough to run the state.

Old 12-30-2021, 12:41 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,764,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Correct. And, the Legislature made imposing a state income tax super double hard instead of just really hard a couple of years ago. Which will bite the state at some point down the road, when extraction and sales taxes aren't enough to run the state.
SMH, that was just ignorant and stupid. I swear theses fools will get behind anything as long as it’s associated with their party line. Don’t get me started…back to the original topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston