Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2021, 07:24 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Counties in Texas do not have the power to tax earnings. The sewers and such are provided by the incorporated cities or the MUD's. Harris County doesn't provide water or sewer services.
Sorry, I was kidding.
I know full well that unincorporated areas of Texas cannot even make a leash law without the consent of the legislature. And that counties in Texas have bo ordinance making ability. That's why we had to knock on doors to ask each homeowner to donate 25 bucks to support volunteer EMTs and buy a used ambulance back in the 70s. It took 25+ years to create a special purpose district for funding emergency services in unincorporated Texas.

It's just a damn shame that people move here from all over the world, see houses and shopping centers and think it's a city.

Too bad an area that would be the 5th largest city in the country, if it could incorporate, has no government but commissioner's court, a HOA and MUD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Counties in Texas do not have the power to tax earnings. The sewers and such are provided by the incorporated cities or the MUD's. Harris County doesn't provide water or sewer services.
I had not had my 3rd coffee. The brain was not fully engaged.

Sorry, the city earnings tax would be from the city of Houston. It would be placed on people who work in Houston, think income tax, and live in another jurisdiction. It is legal in a couple other states I have lived because we paid it.

Old 12-31-2021, 11:27 AM

15,441 posts, read 7,506,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I had not had my 3rd coffee. The brain was not fully engaged.

Sorry, the city earnings tax would be from the city of Houston. It would be placed on people who work in Houston, think income tax, and live in another jurisdiction. It is legal in a couple other states I have lived because we paid it.
I know NYC, Pittsburgh, and other cities do that. Houston cannot, as it's not one of the powers delegated to cities by the State legislature. The special purpose annexation sof most of teh commercial areas in Harris County take the place of the earnings tax.

Old 12-31-2021, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I know NYC, Pittsburgh, and other cities do that. Houston cannot, as it's not one of the powers delegated to cities by the State legislature. The special purpose annexation sof most of teh commercial areas in Harris County take the place of the earnings tax.
Are you in a MUD that splits the City of Houston sales tax revenue? The other benefit to the CoH is those areas will never be able to incorporate.

Sitting here close to 290@1960 I could be in Council District A on my morning walk. That map indicates the annexed areas and ETJ are almost to Montgomery county.

Old 12-31-2021, 02:55 PM

15,441 posts, read 7,506,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Are you in a MUD that splits the City of Houston sales tax revenue? The other benefit to the CoH is those areas will never be able to incorporate.

Sitting here close to 290@1960 I could be in Council District A on my morning walk. That map indicates the annexed areas and ETJ are almost to Montgomery county.
I live inside the Loop, but pay attention to lots of political and governance stuff.

Old 12-31-2021, 04:43 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
Funny,
The small government people of The Woodlands have a big sign saying
"FIREWORKS PROHIBITED IN THE WOODLANDS"

Old 01-05-2022, 07:47 AM

1,952 posts, read 830,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Funny,

It is possible to not want drunk morons with fireworks to set your houses on fire and still support small govt. Those things are not necessarily related....but good try, anyways. LOL

I would also love to hear the benefits of more and bigger govt, because today...sorry...I just do not see it.

Old 01-05-2022, 08:48 AM

8,354 posts, read 5,514,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
Ok, how about you live wherever you want in this city...just don't be a douche about it?

"I think XXX is too white...blah blah.....great...then DONT LIVE THERE.
Let me try to explain this way.

I can tell youre obviously white and as such youre going to be able to be around significant numbers of people who look like you anywhere you go. Youll find people who share your culture and your values in nice neighborhoods all across the land.

I, for example, am Lebanese Arab and my wife is Thai. We dont find lots of people who look like us most places in America. Were limited to large cities and a few smaller ones. Nobody likes to feel like a token and while a diverse set of friends is ideal, most people dont like to be the only one that looks like them in a place. I cant imagine too many white people with means would, for example, move to PG County in Maryland because even though its well off they would be the only one that looks like them in their circle.

People can talk about "I dont see color" all day long but thats a lie no matter who is saying it. We all do. One of the reasons I like Houston is because, in addition to finding other Lebanese to be friends with, there are people from all over the world here. I could also be happy in the Detroit area because thats ground zero for my culture, but my wife would be less happy because there is very little East Asian culture there. Contrarily she might be happy in Seattle but they dont have a lot of my culture.

When we talk about the Woodlands, it is like Baytown. Both are suburbs of Houston but they function on their own without much interaction with Houston. That means their local culture is more independent of Houston. Its not like Katy, Sugar Land, Pearland, or Cypress where the local culture is very engrained with Houston. The Woodlands has its own thing going on. Houston celebrates diversity while the Woodlands is the antithesis of it. If youre white and conservative and want to be around just that, I cant think of a better place to be. But if youre not, then its not.

Old 01-05-2022, 09:37 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
Quote:
It is possible to not want drunk morons with fireworks to set your houses on fire and still support small govt. Those things are not necessarily related....but good try, anyways. LOL

I would also love to hear the benefits of more and bigger govt, because today...sorry...I just do not see it.
Without big evil government ... Texas would still have only one lake like it did for 1000s of years
until big government decided to build dams all over Texas to provide reliable source of water to everybody in the state.

Old 01-05-2022, 10:23 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,457,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Funny,
Probably as dumb as Sugar Land installing red light cameras around their moneymaker First Colony Mall (especially on all sides of the Hwy 6 and U.S. 59 intersection) a decade ago. No wonder the mall is now dead! Glad to see the red light camera moneygrab is now illegal in Texas.

Quote:
It is possible to not want drunk morons with fireworks to set your houses on fire and still support small govt.
I've seen clearly sober people celebrating with fireworks in unincorporated areas around Houston.

The small government areas tend to be the most totalitarian (but bastions of white privilege = code-word: "freedom"). Fascist Sugar Land and Woodlands did not get rid of their cameras until the Texas Lege made them illegal a few years ago. Houston had an anti-camera movement a decade ago, while there was barely a peep in the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston