Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 04:21 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,790,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
There are plenty of areas in Atlanta metro like the Woodlands, so its hard to believe the other poster got "culture shock."
Forsyth is definitely Atlanta’s The Woodlands.

What Red is saying is that based on his neighborhood in Atlanta, The Woodlands isn’t diverse, which was a culture shock. He didn’t live in Forsyth County. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 05:13 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
The Woodlands is diverse
What happens is that you find people from all over the World … that are white

I call it … the most diverse white town in America

Old 01-26-2022, 06:18 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,628,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtxg View Post
I guess you could say a percentage of white people prefer living among other white people? Kind of like the hundreds of posts on CD for people looking for "upper middle class black neighborhoods", "great place for Asians", "Middle Eastern looking for area with mostly middle-eastern population". Insert whatever group you want.

Having grown up in Sugar Land, and still residing in Fort Bend County, it's very clear that even though the county is very diverse (which spans more than just race) most races (not just white people) do have a preference of living among people most similar to them. Sugar Land is heavily Asian and Middle Eastern. Pockets of Richmond and its ETJ are heavily Hispanic, but then Pecan Grove is relatively white. Rosenberg (including ETJ) has heavy Hispanic areas. Missouri City, has heavily black areas. Fulshear - lots of white people. The county, as whole, is diverse, but people still seem to gravitate towards their own.
Let's be honest and you probably don't want to admit it but there's a legitimate reason why most minorities prefer to live in communities where there's more of them in an area. Speaking from a historical perspective, when Black people migrated into predominately white neighborhoods White flight quickly followed. Black Americans looking for those specific types of neighborhoods is generally a response to racism and discrimination. Not to mention in some cases Black home buyers encounter discrimination on some level just by looking in certain middle class to affluent predominately White communities. Me and my Wife actually encountered that just recently when we were looking at a neighborhood in Cypress. Now they didn't come right out and say "Hey we don't want Blacks in our community" because that's discrimination but there was a difference in the way they interacted with the young White couple compared to me and my family. Needless to say we clearly passed on the community.

With that said there area subdivisions in unincorporated Richmond for example like Lakemont/ Lakeview/ Grand Mission ,etc. that are pretty diverse. I generally prefer communities like that. Where there's a good mixture of different ethnicities. There are communities like that scattered throughout the metro. You'll find them mostly in the burbs but it exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
There are plenty of areas in Atlanta metro like the Woodlands, so its hard to believe the other poster got "culture shock."
Nah there's not plenty of areas in Atlanta MSA with demographics like The Woodlands. Keep in mind The Woodlands is a premier suburb of Houston. Atlanta's version of The Woodlands would probably be Sandy Springs or Alpharetta and even those 2 are more diverse than TW. Like SouthernBoy said Forsyth County is the closest thing to The Woodlands or Montgomery County. Difference though Forsyth County is much smaller and doesn't have a premier suburb in it compared to Montgomery.

Also when I mention culture it's not just about race, nationality, ethnicity. I'm including politics and just vibe of these cities period. The Woodlands is a master planned conservative predominately White suburb. Where I lived in Atlanta was very liberal and more diverse. Most suburbs in Atlanta are also Blue quite opposite of conservative.

When I lived in The Woodlands I would literally see Pro-Trump/ Pro-Blue Lives Matter/ Pro-All lives matter, etc. bumper stickers, flags, yard signs everyday. Couldn't tell you the last time I saw any of that while living in Atlanta. Not to say it doesn't exist but nowhere near to the extent of what you see in The Woodlands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post

What Red is saying is that based on his neighborhood in Atlanta, The Woodlands isn’t diverse, which was a culture shock. He didn’t live in Forsyth County. Lol
I think he's intentionally being difficult at this point. He clearly knows what I mean but he's too deep into his stance to admit he's wrong.

Old 01-27-2022, 07:26 AM

869 posts, read 320,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Let's be honest and you probably don't want to admit it but there's a legitimate reason why most minorities prefer to live in communities where there's more of them in an area. Speaking from a historical perspective, when Black people migrated into predominately white neighborhoods White flight quickly followed. Black Americans looking for those specific types of neighborhoods is generally a response to racism and discrimination. Not to mention in some cases Black home buyers encounter discrimination on some level just by looking in certain middle class to affluent predominately White communities. Me and my Wife actually encountered that just recently when we were looking at a neighborhood in Cypress. Now they didn't come right out and say "Hey we don't want Blacks in our community" because that's discrimination but there was a difference in the way they interacted with the young White couple compared to me and my family. Needless to say we clearly passed on the community.

With that said there area subdivisions in unincorporated Richmond for example like Lakemont/ Lakeview/ Grand Mission ,etc. that are pretty diverse. I generally prefer communities like that. Where there's a good mixture of different ethnicities. There are communities like that scattered throughout the metro. You'll find them mostly in the burbs but it exist.

Nah there's not plenty of areas in Atlanta MSA with demographics like The Woodlands. Keep in mind The Woodlands is a premier suburb of Houston. Atlanta's version of The Woodlands would probably be Sandy Springs or Alpharetta and even those 2 are more diverse than TW. Like SouthernBoy said Forsyth County is the closest thing to The Woodlands or Montgomery County. Difference though Forsyth County is much smaller and doesn't have a premier suburb in it compared to Montgomery.

Also when I mention culture it's not just about race, nationality, ethnicity. I'm including politics and just vibe of these cities period. The Woodlands is a master planned conservative predominately White suburb. Where I lived in Atlanta was very liberal and more diverse. Most suburbs in Atlanta are also Blue quite opposite of conservative.

When I lived in The Woodlands I would literally see Pro-Trump/ Pro-Blue Lives Matter/ Pro-All lives matter, etc. bumper stickers, flags, yard signs everyday. Couldn't tell you the last time I saw any of that while living in Atlanta. Not to say it doesn't exist but nowhere near to the extent of what you see in The Woodlands.

I think he's intentionally being difficult at this point. He clearly knows what I mean but he's too deep into his stance to admit he's wrong.

I suppose I'm built differently...after that interaction, I would have certainly done my best to buy into that community PRECISELY BECAUSE I wasn't wanted there, lol.

But I get your point. No need of going through the hassle, when there are plenty of communities that are accepting.

Old 01-31-2022, 12:50 PM

9,904 posts, read 6,612,278 times
So I recently had to go to Conroe and I stopped by the Market at Springwood Village because I saw they had a Bearded Papa (one of my weaknesses).

When I saw it was all white I mean it was 100% everyone there whether at Kroger etc was white. Now again, there is nothing wrong with not caring about that (or even preferring it that way), but I’m not a fan of that.

As mentioned above, you’ll see some color in the Woodlands Mall, Town Center and maybe Hughes Landing since it’s a regional shopping destination that’ll get some shoppers from north Houston. But it seems when you go to the places that are mainly local, you see more of the Woodlands true make up.

Old 01-31-2022, 01:00 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
That's funny,
that area is much more diverse than The Woodlands

Old 01-31-2022, 05:54 PM

9,904 posts, read 6,612,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
That's funny,
that area is much more diverse than The Woodlands
Spring yes. But that portion of Springwood Village doesn’t reflect Spring’s demographics. Point is, the Woodlands Mall has some color since it attracts shoppers from overall northern Houston or even or even people further out that want a change in scenery. But once you step into the more every day businesses (i.e. a CVS, Kroger, etc), you even lose that.

Old 02-03-2022, 02:14 AM

8,354 posts, read 5,514,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post

I could see that but Forsyth does have a booming Asian population and the Woodlands doesn't. Part of that is because Forsyth is just the county north of Gwinnett which is the center of Atlanta's Asian community. Fort Bend is the center of Houston's Asian community and as they expand out, its more about the suburbs West of Katy and Southwest of Sugar Land.

Also, I think that Atlanta's growth pattern resembles Dallas' where they go outward into infinity. Houston is better at keeping its people in suburbs close to town.

Old 02-03-2022, 09:06 AM

5,615 posts, read 4,947,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I could see that but Forsyth does have a booming Asian population and the Woodlands doesn't. Part of that is because Forsyth is just the county north of Gwinnett which is the center of Atlanta's Asian community. Fort Bend is the center of Houston's Asian community and as they expand out, its more about the suburbs West of Katy and Southwest of Sugar Land.

Also, I think that Atlanta's growth pattern resembles Dallas' where they go outward into infinity. Houston is better at keeping its people in suburbs close to town.
Atlanta and Dallas are parallel in that they have both grown their affluent suburbia mostly (not entirely, but mostly) on the north sides of their respective metros, which was the side that wealthy white folks originally lived on in the urban core. Houston, despite having some tilt westward because of River Oaks and the Ship Channel heavy industries, has still spread its middle class and affluent suburbia in a bigger ring around the metro (see: Kingwood and Clear Lake, going back to the 1960s and 1970s), which has somewhat of a centralizing effect. And The Woodlands, started in the early 1970s, was also not an outward growth of Houston's westward tilt - remember the north / northwest side is the location of Aldine and Acres Homes when you're closer in, so conventional wisdom based on the Atlanta and Dallas models wouldn't have necessarily assumed affluent white suburban growth in that direction.

Old 02-03-2022, 01:19 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post

I'm not wrong. Go to Virginia Highlands or Druid Hills inside the perimeter and they are whiter than the Woodlands. Atlanta housing is just a lot more segregated than Houston and always has been. You lived in the most diverse part of the Atlanta area, more an exception than the rule. That is like comparing Alief to Forsyth County.

Now if you are talking politics, maybe you have a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston