Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 01:06 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,688,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I have a kryptonite citronella cross on my patio - repels mosquitoes, Dracula and Superman at the same time.
Now why would you want to repel Superman? Living on the SW side, I would think you'd need him!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 03:10 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,571,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Now why would you want to repel Superman? Living on the SW side, I would think you'd need him!
No. I'm a better crime-fighting superhero than Superman. He'd just get in the way. Seriously. *flex*

And time to get out again at 4:30am....how do I ever keep living on to tell about it?

Old 05-22-2008, 03:15 AM

252 posts, read 390,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
Along with mosquitos and roaches, we're infested with vampires.

Crosses keep'em away.

Welcome to Houston!
We need some "Silver Bullets" as well

Old 05-22-2008, 03:31 AM

161 posts, read 474,526 times
I love the jokes, but seriously...if this might bother you, you do need to know that in many cases, the crosses are indeed evidence of religious zeal. We had the same experience - in one house, there were huge (and I mean huge) crosses in every room including the d/s toilet, and the owners had put 'Christian Rock' on the surround sound by the pool. In another, there were virtual altars everywhere - later found that the owner is a prominent member of the local Catholic church and governor of the Catholic school. What was really wierd was that this house felt more like home than any other - must have been the residue from my Polish Catholic childhood!

Our realtor had a Bible on the back seat, urged us to come to her Church because 'You'll fit right in, even dressed like you are!' and said she'd pray for us to get the house we wanted.

Nothing wrong with any of this, but it's worth knowing - also, that you may well be asked, once you've moved in, questions like 'Have you chosen a church yet?' and 'Have you found Jesus?' Sugarland, by the way, was described to me once as having 'a Fire and Brimstone feel.' Good luck!

Old 05-22-2008, 01:20 PM

759 posts, read 3,185,483 times
Sugar Land has a lot of churches in the area. It is considered the one of the most conservative places in America. these are some reasons why I live in Sugar Land! And Yes I attend church weekly, have pictures of Jesus in my house, and bibles in the house too

Old 05-22-2008, 01:28 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,571,630 times
What else do you expect from Tom DeLay's hometown?

Old 05-22-2008, 02:20 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,439,417 times
I wouldn't think this should really bother anybody, right? Despite their house on their house being on the market, it is still their home.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:30 PM

16,674 posts, read 17,442,775 times
We lived in a Victorian rectory and there were no crosses.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:31 PM

40 posts, read 333,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icon7 View Post
Sugar Land has a lot of churches in the area. It is considered the one of the most conservative places in America. these are some reasons why I live in Sugar Land! And Yes I attend church weekly, have pictures of Jesus in my house, and bibles in the house too
Is it really that conservative? I read that it is very diverse and international, which I thought would make it less conservative. If anything, we are Unitarian, do you think we would feel out of place there?

Old 05-22-2008, 08:05 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,831,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestymama View Post
Is it really that conservative? I read that it is very diverse and international, which I thought would make it less conservative. If anything, we are Unitarian, do you think we would feel out of place there?
My husband and I were Unitarian before we became progressive Episcopalians.

We are finding that Sugar Land churches are too orthodox for us, which is why we will likely drive to downtown Houston to attend services even though we live in Sugar Land.

Sugar Land is extremely diverse and international...I do wonder sometimes where all these different people attend church services or if they all do. There are several huge (3000+ member) churches in Sugar Land, Baptist and Methodist, I believe. There is also a Unitarian church for Fort Bend County...I think that one is in Stafford. Only one Episcopal parish is in Sugar Land, and it is quite conservative.

I doubt you will feel out of place in Sugar Land but you will likely hear something like, ""If you haven't found a church yet, we attend services at X Church." We've had several strangers and acquaintances say that to us in casual conversations.

Now on the subject of crosses, it seems downright irreverent to me to put them in the bathroom!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston