Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 09:15 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,710,460 times

Advertisements

I think it is just that people do not know how to "stage" their homes to fit anyone who will walk in the door. Still if it is hanging on the wall, or sitting on the counter, you know that it will not be there when/if you want to buy the house. Just disregard it if you can but I can see if it is actually a built-in altar, you will need some renovation there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 09:16 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,123,018 times
hmm there are non christians that displays crosses. to them its literally an art piece. I've seen west indian folks have these decorations, no jesus of course. its like some folks displaying buddha, kanji, incense, and what have you.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:19 AM

40 posts, read 213,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
hmm there are non christians that displays crosses. to them its literally an art piece. I've seen west indian folks have these decorations, no jesus of course. its like some folks displaying buddha, kanji, incense, and what have you.
Well, the cross is standard to Christianity, but the symbol itself predates Christianity, so it makes sense that people of all faiths (or no faith at all) may want to display it depending on their interests.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:37 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,830,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikato View Post
I think the oddest thing I've seen when house-hunting was a house that had stock piles of food in every closet. It took 2 bedrooms before it dawned on me the owners were probably Mormon (they save food for "end of days").
That's funny. I would have guessed (perhaps wrongly) that someone in the house has Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and is a hoarder.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:31 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,322,328 times
As long as you don't see one outside and burning, I would not worry.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:09 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,007,186 times
Crosses and Christianity doesn't equal zealots, just as non-Christianity doesn't equal evil.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyalta View Post
It does make a difference if it would matter to you that you might well be surrounded by proselytizing neighbours! I think houses festooned with crucifixes say a lot about an area - I believe in live and let live, and it does not bother me in the least if people want to believe in some form of religion, but it would bother me if I were to find I was living sandwiched between intensely evangelical types who would not leave me and my kids alone - and I know of many such!

I, for example, accept totally the fact that we are evolved down the ages and not 'created' by some being, but I don't put up shrines to Darwin all over my house, nor do I open conversations with 'Have you found Humanism?' or 'You don't need religion to be a moral being, you know!'
Please - you have some serious issues if you assume everyone who is a Christian is going to proselytize the neighbors. Those same neighbors may be concerned that you and your kids may put the old evil-eye on them

Old 05-23-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewego View Post
I think it is just that people do not know how to "stage" their homes to fit anyone who will walk in the door. Still if it is hanging on the wall, or sitting on the counter, you know that it will not be there when/if you want to buy the house. Just disregard it if you can but I can see if it is actually a built-in altar, you will need some renovation there.
By all means, disregard it if you can, but be aware that once you make eye contact - it may follow you around like some eerie Stephen King movie. Geez you make a cross sound like something awful that might cause permanent damage to the psyche.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:43 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,687,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Hardly local -- This is Texas and there are lots of Christians here... You know, I'd be much more concerned if I saw symbols such as the star & crescent moon in every other house. That would actually warrant a thread being started.
Where have you been? There are lots of Muslims here, too. How would that warrant a thread being started?

Old 05-24-2008, 09:49 AM

24 posts, read 125,257 times
In response to the original post, what would be the problem if the cross decor was an indication that these homeowners were really Christians and were not just decorating for some trend? Keep in mind, Houston, and Texas in general are part of the Bible belt, with less liberal folks than on the coasts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston