Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 09:38 PM

68 posts, read 294,318 times

Advertisements

Sugar Land and Fort Bend County in general is very religious and conservative. It is diverse but not open minded. I prefer the Champions/Klein area personally. While it is conservative, it is a lot more open minded towards democrats, gay people and people who are not Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 09:48 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,834,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyalta View Post
there were virtual altars everywhere -
Virtual Altars?

My house in Glenbrook has one that the original Catholic Italian owners built with the house. I have seen several in the hood.

It does tend to catch people by surprise. "What is that?!"

Old 05-22-2008, 11:13 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,122,554 times
^^^ thats probably perfect as a bar area. or for a scimitar or katana display lol. or a secret safe. in any case it has to go

Old 05-23-2008, 01:59 AM

161 posts, read 474,455 times
'Virtual altars' - yes, a sort of domestic shrine. As for the bathroom crucifixes (one about two feet tall by the sinks, another about a foot over the bath) my DH had a rather colorful view as to what they were there to discourage, which I won't repeat here.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:51 AM

619 posts, read 2,168,637 times
Coming from California I to had noticed croses in ppls homes and lots of them, sometimes three of them in a row next to eachother...its a local thing!

Old 05-23-2008, 06:40 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,707,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flo2900 View Post
Coming from California I to had noticed croses in ppls homes and lots of them, sometimes three of them in a row next to eachother...its a local thing!

Hardly local -- This is Texas and there are lots of Christians here, Catholics and Protestants of all races, and it's part of the culture. I understand the west coast is void of such a thing (no surprise there), but it's really not a big deal here. I've never been hassled by anyone in my entire life in the city AND the suburbs and I rarely attend, though I consider myself a Catholic by heritage.

You know, I'd be much more concerned if I saw symbols such as the star & crescent moon in every other house. That would actually warrant a thread being started.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:38 AM

799 posts, read 3,694,631 times
I have to agree with Tstone..what difference does it make?

Old 05-23-2008, 08:04 AM

136 posts, read 894,245 times
I think it's a fine thread. I felt peoples disapproval sometimes as a none church goer when invited to attend a neighbors church when we first moved there. Its something people should be aware will come up. It never happened anywhere else I have lived.

Never seen so many churches!! Or for that matter as many strip clubs on the freeways. Interesting juxtaposition I always though!!

Old 05-23-2008, 08:58 AM

161 posts, read 474,455 times
It does make a difference if it would matter to you that you might well be surrounded by proselytizing neighbours! I think houses festooned with crucifixes say a lot about an area - I believe in live and let live, and it does not bother me in the least if people want to believe in some form of religion, but it would bother me if I were to find I was living sandwiched between intensely evangelical types who would not leave me and my kids alone - and I know of many such!

I, for example, accept totally the fact that we are evolved down the ages and not 'created' by some being, but I don't put up shrines to Darwin all over my house, nor do I open conversations with 'Have you found Humanism?' or 'You don't need religion to be a moral being, you know!'

Old 05-23-2008, 09:10 AM

40 posts, read 213,694 times
My 2 cents:

I collect crosses....I'm more spiritual than religious...not a proselytizer, just your run of the mill non-practicing Catholic. I think crosses are a beautiful symbol. I also believe in Darwinism...the two can go hand in hand, because even Darwin acknowledged he wasn't sure what started the formation.

I think the oddest thing I've seen when house-hunting was a house that had stock piles of food in every closet. It took 2 bedrooms before it dawned on me the owners were probably Mormon (they save food for "end of days").

Instead of creeping me out, I though it was kind of cool and showed that the neighborhood was diverse in beliefs (the neighborhood also had a Virgen de Guadalupe statues in some yards).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston