Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 10:44 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,149,528 times

Advertisements

My gay Mexican boyfriend has about 7 crosses in the living room. He's a collecter. I admit, I don't know if God would like a lot of the "sinful" things we've done with them sitting right there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 11:43 AM

5 posts, read 14,279 times
Greater Houston is very international and diverse, and like any international and diverse place, there will be large groups of one faith or another, some of them sporting crosses.

Sugar Land is probably a bit more conservative, but Houston is so close (relatively speaking) that if you don't like any churches down there, go to Lakewood or Unity Church or others just up the freeway which are less conservative.

Last edited by WisTex; 05-24-2008 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: Greater Houston added to encompass entire metro area.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:56 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,835,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
^^^ thats probably perfect as a bar area. or for a scimitar or katana display lol. or a secret safe. in any case it has to go
Aw, now don't hate on the old shrines, it wouldn't be a proper old Glenbrook house without one! Odd thing is I have seen variations in several of the old houses in the neighborhood.

The top one was in a house a singer named Steve Tyrrell grew up in.
The middle one was Rose Marie Carrabba's (restaurant chain)
the one on the bottom belonged to the parents of the Mandola Deli owners I think.

I saw another one the other day that was really over the top. I got to get a picture of that one.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:53 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,568,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
My gay Mexican boyfriend has about 7 crosses in the living room. He's a collecter. I admit, I don't know if God would like a lot of the "sinful" things we've done with them sitting right there!
You're probably freaking out everyone else, but this is likely the funniest thing I've ever read on here. Classic. I'd probably stop while you're ahead though. From one pusher of the envelope to another...

I think crosses and especially an altar built into my living room wall would indeed prove conducive to getting my dwelling recognized by taxing entities as a church and/or church parsonage. All I'd need is three people to join my cul...er, church....and I'm set. Don't think for a second that such a unique feature can't be a selling point.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:55 AM

687 posts, read 2,129,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestymama View Post
Are they just for decoration or is it to express religious views?
Sometimes it's a symbol of tolerance. My Catholic in-laws nailed a cross on our wall one day because they felt... well, I can't really say what they felt, because we exist on parallel universes...But I left it on because it seemed to make them more comfortable (that I'm not raising their grandson in a godless, paganistic environment). The child in question attends a greek orthodox school, but anything not Catholic is, of course, not Catholic.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:06 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,149,528 times
Theres a lot of different reasons for having crosses in the home, besides religion.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:19 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,179,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Theres a lot of different reasons for having crosses in the home, besides religion.
Could you please name some 'cause I can't think of many.

I remember looking at homes here in New England (after we moved from Texas). We saw one house with a cross in every room and religious stuff everywhere. I found it very creepy, unsettling; it was a distraction from looking at the actual house itself.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:32 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,687,192 times
Okay, now I'm curious. Is this a Catholic thing or a general Christian thing? Do a lot of WASPy Christians display crosses in their homes? I guess I've always associated crosses as decorative religious symbols more with Catholics than Protestants. I've seen Chinese good luck symbols (or were they to ward off evil spirits? I don't recall) affixed to doors out that way, and mezuzot in Meyerland. Is this practice common for WASPy Christians? Please enlighten me.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:41 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,123,018 times
mostly other christian groups than catholics. catholics are the punks of the christian world. theyre more like into statues and images, and little angels and baby jesus.

the chinese has the small mirror at the door. evil spirits cant stand looking at themselves

Old 05-27-2008, 10:46 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,687,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
mostly other christian groups than catholics. catholics are the punks of the christian world. theyre more like into statues and images, and little angels and baby jesus.

the chinese has the small mirror at the door. evil spirits cant stand looking at themselves
Ah, yes, the mirror, that's it!

Also, I'd laugh at your statement about Catholics, but I'm sure that would be ~Offensive~ so I'll refrain.

(ok, maybe just a little... lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston