Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 07:42 PM

1,555 posts, read 776,962 times

Advertisements

If you had hills and mountains to Houston. It would be like California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2022, 07:49 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,756,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Area Man View Post
Doubt it, You tend to get better development out there. Lake Travis area and Collin County are the closest I've seen

Old 07-09-2022, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Doubt it, You tend to get better development out there. Lake Travis area and Collin County are the closest I've seen
California homes are very old. Houston suburbs have newer houses.

Old 07-11-2022, 06:20 AM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonbi1 View Post
I grew up in Anaheim. In terms of planning and build, the key difference between LA/OC and Texas (in general) is (1) LA/OC has sidewalks everywhere, and (2) buildings will often abut the sidewalk creating a more urban feel (eg part of a strip mall will be next to the street, whereas in TX the entire structure will be set back from the street).

Otherwise most of OC is not special. Most of OC are mediocre strip malls and huge parking lots with the same chain stores as anywhere.

With regard to “bigger areas that are nice” it’s just a function of sheer size. Fort Bend County is probably the closest analog to OC. There are 800k people in FBC. There are 3.2 million people in OC. When I was a kid in the early 80s in Anaheim, it felt like FBC today. Things were still being built out. A ton of OC was just undeveloped empty land. In 30 years, FBC will be a lot like OC today, guaranteed.

Anyway what the OP wants only exists in pockets here. If the OP wants large contiguous areas that look like OC, then he should stay in OC because - at that scale - it only currently exists in OC. The LA metro area is massive and dwarfs everything in America except for the NYC tri-state area.
I actually agree with this. Which is why OP might be disappointed if he moved down here NOW. Fort Bend County has pockets of what you get in OC but you're right aside from the coastal areas it's not that much different than Fort Bend County. Hell it's some areas in the city limits of Houston that feel similar to suburbia OC.

But I think that large contiguous look is what makes OC stand out a little more and why I would suggest Collin County over Fort Bend County. Like you stated, FBC will get that contiguous look in due time but at the moment it's pockets.

Old 07-12-2022, 06:54 AM

1,952 posts, read 827,402 times
Quote:

True!

I mean...we already have crime, congestion, sh*tty traffic, un-affordable housing, 4 buck a gallon gas and loads of homeless people so we are almost CA. LOL

Old 07-12-2022, 09:03 AM

9,853 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
True!

I mean...we already have crime, congestion, sh*tty traffic, un-affordable housing, 4 buck a gallon gas and loads of homeless people so we are almost CA. LOL
The only thing here where Houston is nearly as bad as CA in is crime (where it’s worse here). The rest are incomparable. As a matter of a fact, in terms of homelessness, gas prices and unaffordable housing, Houston does much better than the majority of USA.

You basically just described large cities in USA.

Old 07-12-2022, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
True!

Traffic is not bad. Less crimes then other major cities. Unaffordable housing? Are you kidding? Gas is cheap here. Homelessness isn’t much of a problem here.

Old 07-16-2022, 03:36 PM

20 posts, read 8,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
You probably won't find it in Houston.....Houston does have pockets of nice.....But it's surrounded by riff raff.
Everyt time a North Texan says that the houston dallas rivalry is one sided, I smile and think of dallasboi

Old 07-16-2022, 03:44 PM

9,853 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerKing View Post
Everyt time a North Texan says that the houston dallas rivalry is one sided, I smile and think of dallasboi
That’s a popular North Texan quote that defeats its own purpose

Old 07-16-2022, 04:32 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,237,060 times
Quote:
Traffic is not bad. Less crimes then other major cities. Unaffordable housing? Are you kidding? Gas is cheap here. Homelessness isn’t much of a problem here.
I've lived in many different places. The problem with the crime in Houston is that while the overall numbers may not be as bad as other cities, it seems to impact more people in good areas than other cities. In other places, there are pockets where the majority of crime is concentrated in "bad areas", where most people just avoid, and relatively small amount spills over to the "good areas".

Houston crime seems much more random and widespread, with much more spilling over into "good areas" than any other city I've lived in. I personally know multiple people here who have been victimized, but I do not know a single person victimized anywhere else I lived.

I do not know why that seems to be such a problem here vs. other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston