Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 02:56 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,850,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post

Champions/1960 is the area that's more affordable for the middle to lower middle income worker. Boy has that area gone downhill over the past 20 years.
I saw a recent article in the Chronicle about that area. Have friends who have been up there for a few decades and say it is much different than it was years back... and not in a good way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 03:25 PM

497 posts, read 1,486,414 times
I was all over Houston in January looking at houses and only saw three areas I wanted to live: Kingwood, Champion, and the Woodlands. The Woodlands was a bit plastic but I still liked it. All the other areas that people talk about as being nice on this forum may have had some nice gated communities but they were all islands surrounded by less than nice areas. Sugarland? Maybe I missed it but what is the attraction of Sugarland?

Champion proper is filled with snobs like me who keep their houses and yards up, don't play loud music and don't park their cars in the street. No hill billies or gang bangers and very low crime. Quiet - peaceful - serene. Lots of old trees.

I don't agree with your friend and would have to read the Chron article before I commented on it.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:59 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,837,680 times
What is defined as "the Champions area" depends upon who you talk to, but when people talk about decline in that area, I think they are talking about the areas east of Stuebner-Airline/Veterans-Memorial Drive and south of Cypress Creek. There is nothing wrong with Champions proper, Huntwick, etc.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiobtm View Post
I was all over Houston in January looking at houses and only saw three areas I wanted to live: Kingwood, Champion, and the Woodlands. The Woodlands was a bit plastic but I still liked it. All the other areas that people talk about as being nice on this forum may have had some nice gated communities but they were all islands surrounded by less than nice areas. Sugarland? Maybe I missed it but what is the attraction of Sugarland?

Champion proper is filled with snobs like me who keep their houses and yards up, don't play loud music and don't park their cars in the street. No hill billies or gang bangers and very low crime. Quiet - peaceful - serene. Lots of old trees.

I don't agree with your friend and would have to read the Chron article before I commented on it.
Here's the article
Why did FM 1960 stop growing? Experts have ideas | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (broken link)

The attraction of Sugar Land? Kind of a strange question but: It has zoning (no billboards or tall signs, lots of building codes and other restrictions), good schools, has a walkable town center around its city hall, lots of restaurants, shopping, even a few large companies. Was recently ranked the safest city in the state. Several boulevards with large oak trees similar to what West University probably looked like when it was younger. Easy access to Houston via Hwy 59 or 90. Not super far out from Houston like the Woodlands, Tomball, or most of Katy. Frankly, I don't know what wouldn't be the attraction other than it being the suburbs or maybe being too "plastic" for some.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:23 PM

100 posts, read 392,518 times
I think people are just getting tired of spending 3+ hours per day in the car. I hate travelling...be it flying, sitting on a train, or driving. I don't like it. Add to those reasons for living close to my employer....gas is expensive and my gas guzzler is now worth almost nothing, so it would cost me more trade it in for a hybrid, which probably has a less enjoyablej driving experience, depending on model.

The rising gas prices just forced more people to come around faster.

I hate starter communities on the edge of town. They end up looking like a dump after only a few years because of their location and crummy construction- but that isn't all that amounts to a suburban neighborhood.

Some people simply can't afford to spend so much money on housing and a school in a decent neighborhood inside of the city.

It's difficult to find a decent $200K condo inside the loop- which really makes things hard on those that make less than six figures per year.

Last edited by southland; 07-20-2008 at 04:58 PM..

Old 07-20-2008, 04:30 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,509,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
Same goes for centrally located areas of Sugar Land, Clear Lake, west Memorial, the Woodlands. .
The Woodlands and Sugarland are centrally located?

Old 07-20-2008, 06:31 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,833,551 times
Quote:
The attraction of Sugar Land? Kind of a strange question but: It has zoning (no billboards or tall signs, lots of building codes and other restrictions), good schools, has a walkable town center around its city hall, lots of restaurants, shopping, even a few large companies. Was recently ranked the safest city in the state. Several boulevards with large oak trees similar to what West University probably looked like when it was younger. Easy access to Houston via Hwy 59 or 90. Not super far out from Houston like the Woodlands, Tomball, or most of Katy. Frankly, I don't know what wouldn't be the attraction other than it being the suburbs or maybe being too "plastic" for some.
What JJP said. I would add to his (her?) list about Sugar Land: lots of trees and parks, family friendly environment, a new Whole Foods Market, a Lifetime Fitness that has terrific programming for families, culturally diverse environment, high median income, affordable home prices, not in a mandatory evacuation zone.

The test of a place's livability is what the residents think of it, not the drive-through visitor. Sugar Land residents seem very happy with their hometown.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Same goes for centrally located areas of Sugar Land, Clear Lake, west Memorial, the Woodlands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
The Woodlands and Sugarland are centrally located?
No, sorry!

What I meant was the central area of Sugar Land around the town center; as contrasted to far-out parts of Sugar Land or Richmond where you have to drive several miles to get to anything like shopping or restaurants.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:36 AM

128 posts, read 457,524 times
Quote:
I saw a recent article in the Chronicle about that area. Have friends who have been up there for a few decades and say it is much different than it was years back... and not in a good way.
That article was not about Champions. It seemed to focus on the area east of Kuykendahl and west of 45. And that area was starting to go down hill 20 + years ago.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:58 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,794,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
hopefully now that oil fell back down under $130 we can get less of these silly articles.
lmao!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston