Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 05:37 AM

8,898 posts, read 20,083,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I think Ashford Forest, Meyerland,Candlewood Estates and Spring Branch are already getting new life breathed into them.

As to the exurbs bucking the trend: Higher end homes (500k+) in The Woodlands are sitting for months on end already. Friends that still live there claim they're not getting the number of tranfers in like they have in the past. I think in those higher ranges people have the choice to buy in town or out there, and more are chosing in town this time around. Commutes are getting too long and too expensive.
More and more people that I know are being very disgruntled with their commutes from the Woodlands into town ... I think people are just tired of spending 2-3 hours of their day on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 06:00 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,572,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
More and more people that I know are being very disgruntled with their commutes from the Woodlands into town ... I think people are just tired of spending 2-3 hours of their day on the road.

Well that Woodlands drive is "the suck." And really, if you can get into the 350k+ price range you can have all that you have in an MPC in the city... excellent schools, jogging paths, safe neighborhoods and even more "ammenities." I hate that word. But, you have to trade "the house" for a older small "home." Meyerland areas, Oak Forest and Western Memorial's influx in pricing over the past few years (and it's current holding steady and low inventory) reflects this. Even parts of West Houston, 77077 are moving well. Those schools are just as good as well if you get into the areas that have the "desirable" three.

You are 15-17 miles from downtown and 20-25 minutes v. 35-50 at over an hour.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:31 AM

460 posts, read 2,432,899 times
Default I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for commuters to tire of the drive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I was transferred here in 1994 and decided to locate close-in (Bellaire/Meyerland area) so daughter could go to Bellaire HS. Out of (literally) hundreds of families being transfered, we were the ONLY family to locate anywhere other than the suburbs and probably the only family to not buy a new house (couldn't afford new construction in this area even at that time). Even as they closed on their new houses, my co-workers whined about the commute. For 15 years they expressed envy at my short commute downtown, but no one was motivated enough to move closer in. Even when oil prices hit their peak, co-workers simply moved to car pools or mass transit, giving up the independence of driving their own car. My family, vs everyone else, just worked off a different value system. We did value reclaiming those commute hours, although many people who took mass transit just slept or bought wireless broadband, so it was almost like being at home

I only know of one individual who did finally move to a condo near downtown, AFTER his kids were grown and AFTER mid-town was revitalized. Even so, he could afford it. Many, many commuters can't afford the high inner city land prices, and won't give up the dream of having a NEW home

As long as we continue making the commute relatively easy for people (building toll roads, providing comfortable mass transit, making features like wireless broadband afforable), it will be a LONG time before people in the suburbs are motivated to move closer in.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:07 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,555,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Four million would be quite crowded, but if there were 1-1.5M inside 610 (a little over 100 square miles) - there's maybe 500-600K tops now - it'd be comparable to inner Chicago density, still well below Manhattan and even that's not likely to happen anytime soon.
Houston's population is estimated to be 2.2m. It would have to go up to 20.6m to reach Brooklyn's population density, and 41.2m to reach Manhattan's population density.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
Houston's population is estimated to be 2.2m. It would have to go up to 20.6m to reach Brooklyn's population density, and 41.2m to reach Manhattan's population density.

yes, and those people raise full families in less than 1000 sf in old buildings as well.
We just don't have the density to push that type of lifestyle. However, I think it's coming in the next few decades. Untill then, when you can buy NEW 2500 sf for less than 200k-300k somewhere, people will drive...Highly rated TAKS schools or not.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:20 AM

235 posts, read 805,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Well that Woodlands drive is "the suck." And really, if you can get into the 350k+ price range you can have all that you have in an MPC in the city... excellent schools, jogging paths, safe neighborhoods and even more "ammenities." I hate that word. But, you have to trade "the house" for a older small "home." Meyerland areas, Oak Forest and Western Memorial's influx in pricing over the past few years (and it's current holding steady and low inventory) reflects this. Even parts of West Houston, 77077 are moving well. Those schools are just as good as well if you get into the areas that have the "desirable" three.

You are 15-17 miles from downtown and 20-25 minutes v. 35-50 at over an hour.
I wouldn't include Oak Forest in the good schools category. It may be for the immediate vicinity elementary school but beyond that it's down hill. I looked at multiple homes in that area but in the end, amongst other things, I couldn't overlook the fact that I would have to do private school. Because I wasn't going to send my son to Scarborough High School.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:21 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,522,572 times
That is assuming people move to the "burbs" for financial reasons only. My kids are gone...Dh works downtown..And if we had to do it all over again...We'd take right where we are. Crime is relatively low, peace and quiet and the serene beauty of wildlife. How many of you "city people" were able to enjoy a pelican, hawk and blue heron in your yards in the last week? To each is own.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Crime is relatively low, peace and quiet and the serene beauty of wildlife. How many of you "city people" were able to enjoy a pelican, hawk and blue heron in your yards in the last week? To each is own.

no pelicans, but I have peacock about once a week and a coyote came through a few days ago. A family of bunnies live in my back yard...my dogs LOVE that.

It's all a trade off. But in Texas, people are willing to drive to "have it all" in their price range. Compromise is not an option. That's why we extend almost to Dallas.

My trade off is an old house for no commute. I enjoy those extra hours of commute-less free time, and I don't feel I'm missing out on any "ammenites."

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 01-28-2010 at 07:34 AM..

Old 01-28-2010, 07:31 AM

1,336 posts, read 6,462,074 times
I have to laugh at those prosthelytizing city life over suburban life. I would venture to say that the vast majority of pro-city opinions come from people who A) work or have dual income households and B) have no kids - DINKS

Unless you can duplicate (inside the city) the benefits enjoyed in suburbs (greenery, low crime, big yards, good schools, less crowded), there's really no comparison when it comes to raising kids. Unfortunately, there are only a very limited number of places inside the city in which you can do that.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:36 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,522,572 times
My point was: for many people, myself and husband included..it was not a compromise. We have absolutely no desire to live any closer to the city. We know numerous people who are of the same thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston