Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 08:59 PM

235 posts, read 804,168 times

Advertisements

I like how people think there is anywhere in Houston that is walkable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 09:02 PM
cla

898 posts, read 3,311,234 times
I thought this was America, where you could choose to live where you wanted. Country, city, suburb, exurb, downtown, uptown - whatever. People want choices - my preference is not the same as yours - so what. I don't care where you choose to live and I won't put you down for your choice and I would expect that you would show me the same respect. But why, time after time, do these threads turn into a surburb versus city battle? Why should any of us care where each other decides to live? Why should we care if someone chooses a long commute to work? (and remember - not everyone works downtown - i work in Westchase and my home west of 99 is a mere 23 minutes from home garage to work garage - when I lived east of 99 it was a 16 minute trip)
Anyway, someone HAS to live in the suburbs. How the hell are almost 4 million people going to fit in the loop?? I for one, don't want to live in a high-rise. But that's me. Do what you want to do. Live where you want to live. It's not better or worse. It's a choice. Jeez.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:05 PM

789 posts, read 1,529,890 times
^2 Not even trying. Are you? Might want to stick to Yonkers there.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:22 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,842,011 times
The inner looper:

Those suburbanites are just crazy living way out there in their giant McMansions, commuting all that way to their cookie-cutter, soul-less, big-box retail master bland community.

The suburbanite:

Those inner-loopers are just crazy paying those high prices for some old cracker-box house in some run-down, higher-crime area with bad schools all in the name of "character."

The inner looper:

Why would someone pay that much to live so far out? Instead of some boring cookie-cutter house they could get a cool bungalow in town for that price with the better appreciation and reap the financial gain.

The suburbanite:

Why would someone pay that much to live so close in? Instead of some small old house they could get a huge palace in the suburbs with good schools and save the money they would spend on private schools, reaping the financial gains.

The suburbanite:

Just get on the toll road and you are there in no time.

The inner looper:

A freeway is involved? I'm not going.

The inner looper:

I'm not sure what we would find in the suburbs that we would like, but if we start a family, we may move out there for the schools after all.

The suburbanite:

I love it out here, but once the kids are out of school, we are thinking about selling the house and moving in town.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:40 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,773,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cla View Post
i thought this was america, where you could choose to live where you wanted. Country, city, suburb, exurb, downtown, uptown - whatever. People want choices - my preference is not the same as yours - so what. I don't care where you choose to live and i won't put you down for your choice and i would expect that you would show me the same respect. But why, time after time, do these threads turn into a surburb versus city battle? Why should any of us care where each other decides to live? Why should we care if someone chooses a long commute to work? (and remember - not everyone works downtown - i work in westchase and my home west of 99 is a mere 23 minutes from home garage to work garage - when i lived east of 99 it was a 16 minute trip)
anyway, someone has to live in the suburbs. How the hell are almost 4 million people going to fit in the loop?? I for one, don't want to live in a high-rise. But that's me. Do what you want to do. Live where you want to live. It's not better or worse. It's a choice. Jeez.
bingo

Old 01-27-2010, 09:42 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,548,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
wow. thats like being in prison then coming back for the stash a decade later. i mean if they release you or if you want to get out
Comments like this are why I'm glad wysiwyg is back. You can always count on him for an angle no one else has thought of.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:06 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,595,603 times
Quote:
Anyway, someone HAS to live in the suburbs. How the hell are almost 4 million people going to fit in the loop?? I for one, don't want to live in a high-rise. But that's me. Do what you want to do. Live where you want to live. It's not better or worse. It's a choice. Jeez.
Four million would be quite crowded, but if there were 1-1.5M inside 610 (a little over 100 square miles) - there's maybe 500-600K tops now - it'd be comparable to inner Chicago density, still well below Manhattan and even that's not likely to happen anytime soon.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:17 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,132,345 times
Quote:
I thought this was America, where you could choose to live where you wanted. Country, city, suburb, exurb, downtown, uptown - whatever. People want choices - my preference is not the same as yours - so what. I don't care where you choose to live and I won't put you down for your choice and I would expect that you would show me the same respect. But why, time after time, do these threads turn into a surburb versus city battle? Why should any of us care where each other decides to live? Why should we care if someone chooses a long commute to work? (and remember - not everyone works downtown - i work in Westchase and my home west of 99 is a mere 23 minutes from home garage to work garage - when I lived east of 99 it was a 16 minute trip)
Amen!

I guess this wouldn't be a worthy message board if people weren't taking pot-shots at harmless decisions people make about where they live.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:25 PM

235 posts, read 804,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
The inner looper:

Those suburbanites are just crazy living way out there in their giant McMansions, commuting all that way to their cookie-cutter, soul-less, big-box retail master bland community.

The suburbanite:

Those inner-loopers are just crazy paying those high prices for some old cracker-box house in some run-down, higher-crime area with bad schools all in the name of "character."

The inner looper:

Why would someone pay that much to live so far out? Instead of some boring cookie-cutter house they could get a cool bungalow in town for that price with the better appreciation and reap the financial gain.

The suburbanite:

Why would someone pay that much to live so close in? Instead of some small old house they could get a huge palace in the suburbs with good schools and save the money they would spend on private schools, reaping the financial gains.

The suburbanite:

Just get on the toll road and you are there in no time.

The inner looper:

A freeway is involved? I'm not going.

The inner looper:

I'm not sure what we would find in the suburbs that we would like, but if we start a family, we may move out there for the schools after all.

The suburbanite:

I love it out here, but once the kids are out of school, we are thinking about selling the house and moving in town.
You sir, win one internets

Old 01-27-2010, 11:21 PM

129 posts, read 383,181 times
I'm all for moving closer into the city and already have. Everyone hates commuting and most enjoy the variety available in the city. The reality in Houston and many cities is that families move to the burbs not only for the big house, but for better schools. HISD needs to improve. The reality is that the cost of a solid education increases dramatically as you move closer into town.

Last edited by mikehtown; 01-27-2010 at 11:25 PM.. Reason: up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston