Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 02:46 PM

789 posts, read 1,533,564 times

Advertisements

I honestly hope to never have to move Outside of Beltway 8. If I can live further in the loop that would be great too. Like I said before, I'm not after the biggest house(since most space won't be used on a regular basis). Or the most expensive car. So, I will be glad to live in a nice place inside the loop. If I can afford it, haha. But I'm thinking the money I save on gas will make up for it at least a bit.

I hope to never ever have to live in the burbs. I mostly hope my kids don't have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 02:49 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,572,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
I honestly hope to never have to move Outside of Beltway 8. If I can live further in the loop that would be great too. Like I said before, I'm not after the biggest house(since most space won't be used on a regular basis). Or the most expensive car. So, I will be glad to live in a nice place inside the loop. If I can afford it, haha. But I'm thinking the money I save on gas will make up for it at least a bit.

I hope to never ever have to live in the burbs. I mostly hope my kids don't have to.

If you are in Westchase, you are right at if not outside. It's a burb, an urban burb...but still a "burb." Memorial is a burb too...just saying.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:58 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,572,659 times
Yeah, there has been much speculation for months now that we will be back at 100 a barrel in 2010.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:05 PM

221 posts, read 613,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
This post is SPOT ON. He's right!!!........Everybody pile inside the loop. It'll be a hoot! There are three story urban townhomes everywhere! One for each of you stupid "suburb people".

No thanks.
lmao have fun with your future ghettos, your hour long commutes, your lack of walkability anywhere, your big box walmarts, your generic chain restaurants, your SUVs driven by overweight parents with annoying kids who are slaves to consumerism, your contribution to the destruction of America's forests and land, your inefficent mcmansions that waste large amounts of energy, your isolation pods without any sense of real community

the future is bright for the city folk

Old 01-27-2010, 03:37 PM

2,629 posts, read 8,858,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrulez View Post
lmao have fun with your future ghettos, your hour long commutes, your lack of walkability anywhere, your big box walmarts, your generic chain restaurants, your SUVs driven by overweight parents with annoying kids who are slaves to consumerism, your contribution to the destruction of America's forests and land, your inefficent mcmansions that waste large amounts of energy, your isolation pods without any sense of real community

Well if the inner loop gets bulldozed over for those crappy 3 story urban loft townhomes you were lauding, I don't know that it will be any better.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:40 PM

430 posts, read 1,261,081 times
Quote:
lmao have fun with your future ghettos, your hour long commutes, your lack of walkability anywhere, your big box walmarts, your generic chain restaurants, your SUVs driven by overweight parents with annoying kids who are slaves to consumerism, your contribution to the destruction of America's forests and land, your inefficent mcmansions that waste large amounts of energy, your isolation pods without any sense of real community.
Commuting time: 30 minutes to the energy corridor at rush hour.
Lack of Walkability: Miles of jogging paths.
Big Box WalMart: Yes, along with smaller locally owned shops.
Generic chain restaurants: For the most part, I agree.
SUVs: You bet.
Overweight parents: (See "jogging paths" above)
Annoying Kids etc etc: There are definitely some of those, same as in the city.
Destroying forests/land: And living in the city hasn't contributed to this?
Inefficient McMansions: Actually, many are very energy-efficient.
No Sense of Community: This one is really laughable. A sense of community is one of the best things about the suburbs, at the least the area I'm in.

Yep, I think I'll stick with my future ghetto for now... and I believe many others will as well. I don't see the 'burbs disappearing anytime soon.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:41 PM

789 posts, read 1,533,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
If you are in Westchase, you are right at if not outside. It's a burb, an urban burb...but still a "burb." Memorial is a burb too...just saying.
I don't mind living in my area. I really like it. When I say Suburban you know exactly what I mean, and Westchase is not it. I'm talking about the place where the colors are so bland that you want to vomit. The place where there is nothing to do. I really don't know if you have been in my area, but if you haven't then maybe you should check it out. I can actually walk and bike to where I want. And it looks like most places within the loop. Remember the word is Suburban. Sub + Urban. I don't think many places on the westside or Suburban at all. And Memorial is pretty awesome in my opinion. A neighborhood environment within a city. You just can't beat that. Also, I am right by Beltway 8. I can easily walk to it. Also, there are many places on the Westside of Houston that are kind of Urban until you get to Highway 6! You make it seem like I am 20 miles outside of the city. Lol, I'm pretty much rambling at this point. But, you get what I mean.

Quote:

Yes, the future of people in the city is bright. If you can afford it. Most of these people want to take the inner loop back after most of them ran away. That's what I heard anyway.

And they can keep those McMansions people keep talking about. Most of those places are the definition of ugly. Warehouses? Your kidding me right? I can only remember two styles that I thought were actually nice. They are starting to look like city Suburbs, when there are tons of them in the same spot. And what is with the three story thing? That has got to be one of the dumbest ideas ever. Who is going to walk up two flights of stairs at an old age? But, that is my opinion. I wish Houston would stay a neighborhood city. I'm sure they can mix the two. I really, really hope Houston doesn't turn into a New York. That would be a bad thing. Most people will be living in High priced Projects and not even realize it.

Okay, my rant is done.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:33 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,569,171 times
Quote:
duh! todays suburbs are tomorrows ghettos!

no matter how many you suburb folk deny it, things are and will change, I drove by eastwood and 2nd ward today and was stunned, 10 years ago this neighborhood was rotting to the ground, now you see a new 3 story urban townhome on every block

I hope people soon come to their senses, urbanism is IN, I predict by the end of this decade everything inside the loop will be desirable.

So, do you reckon that "by the end of this decade" you'll be able to move inside the loop yourself? Or, does that mean by the end of this decade you'll still be in living outside the loop without a pot to pee in?

Old 01-27-2010, 07:02 PM

1,042 posts, read 3,274,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCatherine View Post
Commuting time: 30 minutes to the energy corridor at rush hour.
Lack of Walkability: Miles of jogging paths.
Big Box WalMart: Yes, along with smaller locally owned shops.
Generic chain restaurants: For the most part, I agree.
SUVs: You bet.
Overweight parents: (See "jogging paths" above)
Annoying Kids etc etc: There are definitely some of those, same as in the city.
Destroying forests/land: And living in the city hasn't contributed to this?
Inefficient McMansions: Actually, many are very energy-efficient.
No Sense of Community: This one is really laughable. A sense of community is one of the best things about the suburbs, at the least the area I'm in.

Yep, I think I'll stick with my future ghetto for now... and I believe many others will as well. I don't see the 'burbs disappearing anytime soon.
Nicely put sister! Three cheers!! I don't know why every single thread is turned into a tit for tat situation. Aren't we all adults here?? Lets be respectable to one anothers opinions. Let me add that we should share our opinions without degrading others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston