Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2010, 11:49 PM

21 posts, read 34,087 times

Advertisements

Denver, CO has the RTD, which is what Metro will be ten years. It runs downtown on the same streets as all other vehicles.
You will not see traffic in Houston like Denver has. If you think Houston traffic sucks, come to Denver. Every road at rush hour is like Westheimer/610 loop at Christmas shopping time. The problem is not enough major freeways, no feeder roads, and few places to make left turns, or u turns. Is RTD good for Denver, absolutely. If they would build the train that runs from Wyoming to New Mexico that would be better. Most of the Colorado population is a north-south strip parallel to the Rockies.
Go 'stros!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 04:01 AM

711 posts, read 1,856,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Tell that to the people in actual cities around the world that would rather ride the subways than drive their cars.
No doubt having somebody else pay 90% or more of your ticket is quite exhilarating. Doesn't make it right. And by the way, people don't want to ride subways, they do so because super-dense cities have inadequate road systems.
Quote:
It moves just as fast as well in the suburbs IF they had their own ROW. Do not look at Houston's light rail system and think every passenger rail system is the same.
Rail moves as fast only so long as you ignore the cost of transfers, but then rail advocates always presume passenger time is valueless. So do places like Portland OR, where they're intentionally increasing traffic congestion.

Rail systems are pretty much all the same, Houston's included: overpriced boondoggles. There is no metric by which passenger rail systems make sense.
Quote:
They can move every bit as fast. Not to mention that heavy rail has a very high capacity. I doubt rail transit causes more pollution than cars.
Heavy passenger rail is even more of a disaster than light rail. It's more expensive and pollutes more.

Ever wondered why you don't choke on exhaust at a stoplight anymore? Rail pollutes more than cars because modern cars have essentially zero pollution when warm.
Quote:
Houston will get it's rapid transit public system one day.
I hope not.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:19 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
So let's just bulldoze the entire inner loop and turn it into a gigantic parking lot. That way when the density comes, our road system and parking will meet the demands of everyone.

We'll just all set up little cots on the concrete to sleep on.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:30 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,603 times
Really?

To me Denver's traffic isn't as bad as Houstons but then again I did not have to use I-25 on a daily basis when I was there.

To me that it seems that the feeder roads only make things worse though for traffic congestion since they eventually get cluttered with big box stores, fast food restaurants and other commercial development.

Not to mention it makes it harder for vehicles to just enter and exit the freeway since they also get utilized by people who patronize the busineses along them.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:46 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,273,721 times
Default Agree somewhat... but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
A subway system would costs billions and billions of dollars. Don't think Houston will ever get a subway system. I think it's to late for the city. Houston is a city built for motorists. There are major streets that don't even have buses.
If they wait until fuel is too costly, and vehicles are so efficient, the tax revenue drops dramatically for governments, less population, fewer jobs, etc., then it will really be expensive. We will be looking back to now when it cost billions instead of trillions. In other words, better now than later, it is never going to get cheaper. The day will come, it is inevitable.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:45 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,313,003 times
Monorail on each of houston major freeways sections would be it. Would it be nice to get on the galleria line from Bush or Hobby.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:54 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Monorail? Seriously? Very dated and slow.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:16 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Monorail? Seriously? Very dated and slow.
Yes it is. I remember riding the monorail in Vegas.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:47 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Monorails were mainly a 1960s-1990s thing to connect people form the Airport to the Downtown. But now its cheaper and faster to build a Rapid Transit or Light Rail line......

Old 04-22-2010, 06:56 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Again, I like what Houston is doing. It's an urban transit system. Not necessarily a rapid transit system like DC or New York. Houston will get it's rapid transit public system one day. But this is what is working for Houston right now.
Houston does have a rapid public transit. About 30,000 every weekday take an express bus from a park and ride to downtown, greenway plaza, or TMC with very few stops, if any. Combine the park&ride system with the HOV system and you have around 250,000 people taken off freeway mainlanes. It's not the flashiest system but 250,000 people is a large number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston