Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 08:40 AM

530 posts, read 2,036,342 times

Advertisements

I find the names of these master planned communities and subdivisions in and around Houston to be humorous.

We lived in one in Spring called Timberlane, because its main characteristic was a long "lane" (road) down the middle which was lined with BIG trees (natural pre-development pine & oak).... It was built out in the 1970's and 80's and the developers left many trees there, which are now massive 50-100 ft/tall in some cases.

But... nowadays the names have become very contrived, it seems, combining different key words together to try to sound luxurious or tranquil or pretty.

Let me give you an example Then they built one down the road recently called "Arbor Trails" ... but the developers CLEAR CUT the property before building. There wasn't a single tree on the entire acreage. Zero. Arbor Trails? Come on. They didn't even plant seedlings with the hope of SOMEDAY living up to the name.

Can you guys list some examples of these ridiculous contrived names? Who thinks of these? Some marketing guy up north, I imagine. I firmly believe most of these developments are from out of state people who don't even know the land they are raping.

Let's see how we can combine the following words to create a new asinine subdivision name:

Wood or Woods
Arbor
Trails
Estates
Timber
Oak or Oaks
Pine or Pines
Valley
Creek
Manor
Country
Springs
Ridge
Terrace

Give me some more of these generic throw-togethers! List some actual ones that sound just this dumb!

Before you ask, let me tell you what I think is better: names that fit the landscape (Pecan Grove, built on an old pecan grove), local historical figures/family names (such as the Wuenches up in Spring), names of actual bodies of water (Brazos ____ for instance), names that actually describe their location, etc, or even just something that doesn't sound like someone made it out of a generic subdivision name generator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 10:41 AM

509 posts, read 1,167,401 times
This isn't a subdivision, it is an apartment complex name in Pasadena.

Complex was formerly named "The Palms". This makes sense because there are numerous palm trees planted in and around the complex. New owners re-named it to "Red Pines". There are no pine trees in sight. Come to think of it, red pines don't even grow in this area...

Old 10-14-2008, 10:47 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,607,837 times
This is awesome, I was JUST talking about this to one of my friends the other day! Believe me this phenomenon is not exclusive to the Houston metro. I live in the DFW metro and it is the same thing here. What do these people do just throw up a development and go "uh, Rolling Meadows sounds nice, yeah lets pretend we're Rolling Meadows" and put up the name. What a cheap gimmick. It's like these apartment complexes and subdivisions want to distinguish themselves and sound all lovely and luscious but in doing so it almost becomes too difficult to distinguish one from another. How bout just giving it a name. I don't know if the developers name was Andrew Howard how but The Howard Estates? Anyway, thanks for the post I enjoyed it. Oh here are some of the ones I see alot, can't remember if you put them or not.

Spring
Creek
Rolling
Bluff
View
Hills
Woods
Pine
Glen
(my apartments are called the Pinewoods but they are actually lined with BEAUTIFUL pine trees so that's forgiveable at least.)

I like funky names. My friend just moved into an apartment complex in Dallas, guess what the name is. Image Arms. What a quirky name, I prefer that then some generic flavorless name but it's whatever.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:55 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,401,094 times
Oh man, seriously, subdivision names make me crazy. I do love Cinco Ranch, Kingwood, The Woodlands, Atascocita, because of the history behind each. Shoot, I'll go one further and declare I like Williamsburg Settlement, even though we're not VA. It's history...but yeah, okay, some of these places, just completely asinine. And any subdivision that ends in "Harbour" as if we're all living in the UK is never going to be home to me. What the eff? It's HARBOR! We live in Texas! And why do you have a subdivision with HARBOUR/HARBOR in it when you live 50 miles inland? Makes me want to pull my hair out.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:01 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,548,129 times
(insert name of tree nowhere to be found in the area) + (insert body of water nowhere to be found in the area)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs
And any subdivision that ends in "Harbour" as if we're all living in the UK is never going to be home to me. What the eff? It's HARBOR! We live in Texas! And why do you have a subdivision with HARBOUR/HARBOR in it when you live 50 miles inland? Makes me want to pull my hair out.
Inland or not, any place can be a harbo(u)r for pretentiousness.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:57 PM

247 posts, read 737,358 times
How about "The English Country Estates of Redwood Mountain Harbour" featuring zero lot line, identical, 2000 Sq Ft, non-descript partially bricked boxes wedged side by side on a 100 treeless acres that were part of a farmer's cotton field a year ago. The focal point of the community will be a park bench under a single half dead crab apple tree beside an onsite sewage treatment plant.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:27 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,436,288 times
Here's one I like: Champions

Unbeatable.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:43 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,123,834 times
"Making sense", unfortunately, is irrelevant here. $$$$ & sales are ALL that matters, period.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:21 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,680,004 times
I always wondered what was up with Sienna Plantation. Who came up with that? Was there a plantation there once upon a time? Is the name supposed to harken us back to the days of Scarlett O'Hara or something??

Old 10-14-2008, 03:37 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,682 times
One that gets me is any subdivision calling itself "estates". Some I have seen have 3000 sq ft houses with a "two foot" wide backyard. I'm sorry but my idea of an estate is at least an acre or more of property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston